1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

best cell phone for world travel

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by jeepsrjason, Oct 12, 2010.

1. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

howdy

im interested to know what you guys would recommend. im currently in afghanistan and will be returning to italy VERY SOON! i will be in italy for at least 3 months and i will be travelling europe during that time as well. after that time i will be back in the states but ill be making trips to canada, europe and south america pretty frequently.

ive been using an unlocked blackberry 8310 but its falling apart. i recently purchased a nokia e71x which is ok but almost unusable for me because the volume is not loud enough. ive been thinking of getting an iphone 3gs so i can swap the sim cards in and out w/out mods like an iphone4. that being said im no expert on unlocking iphones. apparently depending which ios you have unlocking is an issue.

anyway id like a phone thats reliable, LOUD, durable, has data capabilities, wifi, full qwerty keyboard and costs $400 or less.

any ideas or recommendations would be great! :)

jason

2. kanis mesomelas

kanis mesomelas Loaded Pockets

did you had a look at sonim Phones. they are ugly as hell but verry durable

3. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Anything with the Android OS. If you get an Iphone you'll be required to use ATT in the US.

4. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Not necessarily, there are many countries overseas that sell the iphone in an unlocked state (see here http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/97653) also, it is trivial here in the US to unlock an iphone, I use an unlocked 3Gs on T-Mobile. Also, be aware that many phones sold by Sprint and Verizon won't work anywhere except the US. Most of the world(and all of Europe) uses GSM. However, I think what the OP is asking for is a true world phone that does GSM and CDMA. See this article for a discussion on world phone that is pretty on point. http://reviews.cnet.com/world-phone-guide/

5. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

thanx for the replys so far!

kanis... i did look at sonim but i want something more pocketable.

amacman... any advice on unlocking? ive done a search and all i get are cheasy ads for software.

thanx again

jason

6. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Look here for a good unlock overview, the unlock for the iPhone 4 on the current iOS 4.1 is due out this weekend. I just unlocked an original iPhone and 2 3Gs today.

7. ATCustom

ATCustom Loaded Pockets

IPhone 4 with the micro SIM isn't a great phone for traveling, you'll have to haul around a SIM cutter.

8. ATCustom

ATCustom Loaded Pockets

Super easy to unlock iPhone with OS 4.0.1 and earlier. First go to jailbreak me.com on your phone to jailbreak. Then in the Cydia app, install ultrasn0w which will unlock the phone from ATT

9. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

For true world travel you'll need a phone with a cdma and a GSM radio. If that's too much then go with a GSM phone that's unlocked. MOST of the world uses GSM and since GSM phones use a sim card for their carriers information you can stick any sim into the phone and access the carriers network. CDMA on the other hand uses an internal sim so to speak. Most CDMA carriers will not activate a phone that isn't theirs....unlocked = isn't theirs. Att and tmobile are the two largest GSM carriers in the US.

10. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

negative. bought an "ofically" unlocked iPhone in Kuwait. Works anywhere that has a SIM card.

11. KMAC179

KMAC179 Loaded Pockets

negative. Bought an "officially" unlocked iPhone in Kuwait. Works with any SIM.

12. bitpusher

bitpusher Loaded Pockets

If you don't want to go the smartphone route, and/or like the coverage/service of Verizon, check out the Samsung Renown (U810). They can be had for about $80 on eBay, work on Verizon's CDMA network, and also have quad-band GSM, so will work all over the world. If you get a locked one, you can call Verizon support, explain you will be traveling, and they will provide you with the unlock code.