1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best carry knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by kerrynp5, Jul 27, 2007.

1. kerrynp5

kerrynp5 Empty Pockets

I am a police commander with 29 years service. I've collected and carried knives since 1969. The Puma Emperor in the old days to Darrel Ralph's Aftermath five years ago. The very best I've found is the Emerson Super Karambit with the wave feature. Its lightning out of the pocket, comes absolutely razor sharp and with the ring you can grip the knife and not worry about your hand slipping forward or the knife being taken away. My collection has 86 knives. I carry 2. The Karambit and a Spyderco Spydercard.
    Kerry

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDC Kerry!!
    I personally prefer custom knives. For me, the toughest knife is the Rick Hinderer XM-18, with the spanto blade. I love mine!

3. sharps_74

sharps_74 Loaded Pockets

I can't beat my Swiss Army knife for most jobs. Mine is one of the older knives made in the early '80. I just wish it had a hoof pick on it.

4. Blackhat

Blackhat Empty Pockets

For me it's a SAK explorer. I've had mine since 1978 and it still serves every day. I added a SAK OH treker to it when that came out.

Sharps_74, allow me to recommend the SAK equestrian model. 111mm locking blade and it does have a hoof pick in it. :D

5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Welcome aboard! ;D

I'm rather partial to my Chris Reeve Small Sebenza. I supplement it with a Sperderco Lava.

6. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

Welcome! Sounds like you know your knives. I'm a horse rancher, so my needs are a bit different than yours. I usually carry a BM Mini Grip, or a Spyderco Native or Delica or Dragonfly, or maybe a Kershaw Scallion, somtimes PE, sometimes serrated/combo, depending on what I'm doing. Always a locking folder I can deploy in a hurry and cut stuff fast. It's amazing how quickly horses can get themselves into trouble.

I also carry some sort of 2 or 3 layer SAK, like a Soldier, small Tinker, Compact, etc. Plus a SAK 58mm keychain knife. Plus a Leatherman of some sort. There's always something broken on a ranch.

Good to have you on board.

Kevin B.

7. gailt

gailt Loaded Pockets

I've found my grey calypso jr is sufficent for 90% of my cutting needs.if I need a larger knife I prefer a spyderco military or para-military.

8. leemovie

leemovie Empty Pockets

I second the calypso Jr. I have a ZDP189 version and love it.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The Caly3 is the latest incarnation of the Calypso line. I love mine.

The ParaMilitary is on my acquisition list. I'm considering trading in my MiniManix on a ParaMilitary!

I've also considered picking up one of the ZDP-189 Calypso Jrs while they are still around, but, of late, I'm developing an interest in flashlights and it looks like it may be costly...

10. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

I carry a lot of different knives but I almost always have some sort of SAK with me. For me they personify EDC.

11. sabongero

sabongero Loaded Pockets

I have a Sebenza with 8 plus hard years in the hole. The handle finish has worn smooth as has the BG-42 stonewash finish which now sports a smooth satin polish finish from years of hard use, the edge takes a very keen edge and so easy to resharpen, I'd have to say it is the Best carry knife for me to edc and BG-42 has become my steel of choice. I have a Emerson Combat Karambit folder in a custom speedialer belt sheath that sees light carry on the days when I'm not in a good mood, but the Sebenza is always there for the hard stuff. I'm a user and not a collector so I don't buy into the "in" knife or maker or toy of the moment. I prefer tried and true from my own experience and usage. One the other hand, a 20 year Cold Steel Voyager in my ruck is still the bee's knees too. :)

sabongero

12. rick45acp

rick45acp Loaded Pockets

For the money a Spyderco Delica is hard to beat.

13. LowTEC

LowTEC Empty Pockets

Caly 3, big enough handles to have a full grip, small enough to fit in the pocket and still feeling comfortable, on top of that, sharpest blade edge ever!

14. adorable_harree

adorable_harree Empty Pockets

My SAK and my old all metal spyderco delica.

15. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Another vote for Spyderco Calypso Jr. ZDP, Aus-8 or any other steel, as long as it's plain edge.

And SAKs are great, too, of course.

16. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

LM Wave and Spyderco Delica 4 Wave.

:worthless:

17. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Benchmade 525 Mini-Presidio. I really love that knife!

18. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

Boker Wharcom to keep the (one dollar :D) bills together, and a Leatherman Micra to open blister packaging of newly purchased EDC gadgets before I even get home of course!

19. Dynacolt

Dynacolt Loaded Pockets

Gerber LST - neat, flat, sharp, easy-opener, a good basic back-pocket knife.
    Spyderco Ladybug - doesn't draw attention to itself, super-quick opening (with keys attached as a nice weight to swing the handle over the blade while holding the blade by the hole, thus opening the knife).

I must agree, though, that the Delica is right for the price.

Dave.

20. Gatsby

Gatsby Loaded Pockets

I had a Delica and have replaced it with a Native, the ergonomics for some reason fit me better. That and a CRKT M16-01 carbon fiber which I like a lot but has started to get some rust/corrosion on the liner, which is not encouraging since I only carry it in my pocket... :evil:

I have a SAK spartan in my briefcase along with a Leatherman S2. The SAK is a pretty tough little knife, holds an edge pretty well, has useful features, is lightweight and hasn't corroded! Hard to argue with that.

I am interested in a Ladybug for keychain carry - they seem like really nice and useful blades.