1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Bug Out Bags?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by mightywombat, Nov 16, 2011.

1. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

Went to a local army surplus store looking for prices on used ALICE packs, hoping that they might be cheap. No luck. THe ones with the frames were around $70; the ones without didn't have prices on, and I didn't bother to ask. I can get them for $20 or less on Amazon or Ebay, so maybe I'll do that. Just looking for a good, cheap bag to hold a bunch of stuff, with a little bit of organization.

I like the ALICE / MOLLE packs, as well as the USMC ILBE Assault packs which may also be an option based on how much I end up having to spend. I'm honestly not sure how much cargo capacity I'm going to need for a proper BOB, though being able to include a bedroll, wool blanket, and tent in addition to everything else would be a nice bonus. I kind of really like the MOLLE pack I saw tonight, with a zip-together divider that turns the main compartment into two compartments, with access through the bottom half of the front. Unfortunately they wanted something like $150 for it, which isn't happening.

So, anyone have any great rucksack secrets that might help me find something good?

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Keep an eye out for used bags on the forums. I picked up a Mountainsmith Ascent for $35 bucks and an Osprey Epic for $30. Last summer I score a large internal framed Ridgeway by Kelty for $10 which has all the features you mention.

3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I actually use a Blackwater Load Out bag, which is a giant duffel with shoulder straps. It will hold everything I need including camping gear. My ruck is a RedOxx Airborne Carry-On. I've carried it all over Mexico and it is quite simply the most comfortable pack I've ever had. I also like the less conspicuous look so I avoid the MOLLE on my packs. The RedOxx is a little on the pricey side, but it is well made gear. Like I said, I've worn it on my back for hours in the the Yucatan sun.

My buddy John uses the Alice pack. I think it all depends on what you want with you and how you envision your bug out to happen, meaning do you plan on having a vehicle or do you anticipate a post apocolyptic situation where you're walking for the rest of your days. (Sorry, just watched Book of Eli)

4. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I've tried using an army alice pack, a 5.11 Rush 24 and a few others. But I keep going back to my Kelty Redwing 3100. It's just more comfortable and allows just enough organization for my gear. It holds just enough without holding so much that I over pack it. It's also pretty durable. I couldn't be the price either. I found it in a flea market for $6.00 in perfect condition.

5. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

L.A. Police Gear's "Bailout Bag" is a great deal. It's only $20 and I must say I was surprised with the quality of the bag...regardless of the cheap price! I picked one up a few months ago and am about to transfer all of my gear for my Maxpedition Falcon into it so I have a different in-truck setup for the winter.

6. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'm using a large ALICE pack that I found at a gunshow for $35. It is in very good condition. I would love to have something like an Eberlestock or Blackhawk SOF ruck someday, but for now this gives me an inexpensive, durable pack that will haul a lot of gear.

CJL Enterprize has a special right now - 2 large ALICE packs w/frames for $50 shipped. I've never purchased anything from them, so I can't comment on their business, but that's a pretty good deal for 2 complete packs.

7. mightywombat

mightywombat Loaded Pockets

Right now I am looking at carrying something in my truck, and working out of the vehicle if it becomes necessary to bug out for any reason. That said, something like the LA Police Gear Bail Out Bag looks like a good solution, but I don't want to limit myself should my vehicle become a non-option, so something with pack straps and possibly a frame would probably be a good idea, and won't affect its use/storage in the vehicle. In my opinion a bail out bag should be ultimately flexible, which means I should be able to carry it in a number of different ways. I think it's probably going to have to be a rucksack.

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

What is the longest distance you think you might have to cover on uneven ground? The Alice is ok for short hauls but it is brutal to carry a heavy load for long distance.

9. Atomick

Atomick Loaded Pockets

It has zero internal organization other than an interior lid mesh pouch, but I have a North Face vinyl duffel that has comfy backpack straps in addition to top and end carry handles. It's been to Belize, Thailand, the Sierra Nevada on a mule, and all sorts of other places: Not a rip or tear yet. Waterproof tarp material, but the zippers aren't waterproof (though they do have a nice storm flap). It's also lined on both sides with webbing loops for carabiners, lashing, etc. - it ain't MOLLE, but TacTies or MALICE clips would probably fit. I'd happily trudge with it a fair distance in an emergency, or for an hour in normal circumstances. It's inelegant but bombproof, with multiple carrying styles, and the medium or small is still big enough to hold other organizers within. One of the few TNF products that stays true to their expedition origins.

10. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

If its a bag your going to prep then leave in the car or garage for years until you need it then no point in a big spend,but if its day in/out usage then id spend a little more for comfort & durability.

Ex army surplus is always a good mid way point between the above.

11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can also hunt down reasonably good deals online for the military surplus gear - the downside is the lack of "hands on" puttering to figure out if you like it or not before buying.

-Trevor

12. techsamaritan

techsamaritan Empty Pockets

+1 on this bag! Did decide evertually to go with my Maxpedition Sitka gearslinger because it wouldn't fit my Macbook pro...but will use it for my car edc. Very good quality for sure!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

13. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

I have a LAPG Bailout Bag with vehicle supplies and various whatnots and a LAPG 3 day pack next to it with my FAK extra clothes and emergency BOB stuff. Its a great setup. You say you have a truck I have an SUV and it all fits great. Less than 75 bucks for both bags and both are well made.

14. JackBauer2218

JackBauer2218 Loaded Pockets

I have 5.11 rush 24 and 72 and just recently bought a 5.11 moab 10 for my EDC. I like the room in the rush 72 but sometimes I find it a little to much room, but its worth it IMO.

15. oldmandee

oldmandee Empty Pockets

Bag Hunt

Have you tried the web site "CheaperThanDirt"? They have all sorts of packs and bags. Their prices are pretty fair too. Places to look offline would be Pawn Shops, Thrift Stores and Good Wells. I found american made Peak 1 with frame and Fanny Pack by Coleman for $25.00 at a pawn shop. Even tho that was a few years ago I still believe you can find good deals at places like that.;D

16. Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake Loaded Pockets

Servus!

Admittedly, this may be more space than you need but why not go with an army duffle bag? Plenty of room, has rucksack-style straps fo carrying on your back. The shape allows it to be easily stored and with other bags you can organize it the way that best suits you. Some can even be had with a heavy-duty zipper sewn in along the length of the bag making access easier.

17. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Loaded Pockets

Since you asked for the best, I suggest a TAD Gear FastPack EDC. This pack is by far the best built and most comfortable I've ever used.