1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best budget polarised glasses?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by aphex2k, Oct 21, 2010.

1. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Hey peeps, wonder if you could give me some ideas.

I'm after a set of dark polarised sunnies for wearing at the beach and in the sea in Oz. I had a pair of Chamelius glasses which were cat3 polarised - very dark and a decent lense for about $20. They worked fine for a while but the coating layer on both lenses started to peel away after a couple of months. I do have various sets of Px lenses / transition type but they cost a fair bit and I really don't like wearing them when there's sand/salt/sea.

I've been looking at Revo and Ultimate Armour glasses but they are around the 100-120 mark and I feel that's too much. Maybe I've answered my own question here while typing - get another pair of Chamelius and just replace if/when necessary. But is there anything else out there of a similar stlye that I'm perhaps looking over? Pardon the pun....

2. Essexman

Essexman Loaded Pockets

Just out of interest, why polarised?

I always were polarised shades when driving due to the glare from other cars. I understand fisherman use polarised due to the sun glare on the water surface.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Loaded Pockets

Actually polarized sun glasses eliminate some of the glare that is reflected, and help protect the eyes from UV rays. I have a $10 pair from walmart that has lasted me 6 years.

4. oronocova

oronocova Loaded Pockets

$8 at Family Dollar. When they get scratched it doesn't matter, you just buy another $8 pair.

5. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Live by the sea. Out on boats. It's also very sunny most of the time. Have transitions on my Px lenses but sometimes I feel they are just not stopping me squinting in the sun. Also the transitions don't work too well when you wear a cap or hat with large brim. Polarised helps reduce glare on the water and makes spotting sea creatures a little easier.

Actually, I don't find them good when driving - you can see the patterns in windscreens!

6. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

I have been carrying Polaroid brandad polarised shades for over 6 years now, work great. Bought them for $60. So that's $0.03 per day till now. ;D I where them the whole year long, sun or snow, couse the sun reflection makes me sneeze, allot.
    http://www.polaroideyewear.com/en/index.aspx

Never buy cheap sunglasses, they can do much more harm than good. They often offer no protection, so the black glasses just open your pupils more and the bad rays get a better chance to damage your sight.

7. jrbrangi

jrbrangi Loaded Pockets

REI - Peppers Brand

8. airsickness

airsickness Loaded Pockets

Berkley fishing glasses run about $15.oo You can fin them at Walmart

9. Mike V

Mike V Loaded Pockets

In Australia I've found cheap, but still wearable Polarised sunglasses brands are:

Bill Bass, Fish, Ocean Eyewear.

Myer often has a good range of these brands for less than A$40.

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Weird...

I would agree that sunglasses do need to be polarized, but I have bought some cheap sunglasses that had decent polarization. On the other hand, some pricier sunglasses are't polarized either, just tinted. Expect to pay at least $15 or so for a pair of polarized glasses. If they cost less, they probably aren't polarized so much as just tinted.

11. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

Got my Revos after lasik surgery (same process used to make space shuttle windows) and have yet to regret the cost. They're wonderful at cutting the glare and I have every confidence they really offer a great level of protection. So many sunglasses use darkening and mirroring to seem effective but actually contribute to eye damage (your pupils open wider to see and are thus more exposed to the harmful stuff that comes through the lenses). Doubtless there are cheaper brands that do the same, just make sure you get full protection with what you buy.

12. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Well I decided to bite the bullet and I bought a set of frames I'd had before and felt comfortable with. Oakley Half Jacket with XLJ shape, polarised green/blue lenses made by a company called Visionary Lenses. $99 delivered. I'll post some shots when I get them in my grubby hands.

Visionary Lenses make reasonably priced polarised lenses for a few Oakley frames, and their range seems to be expanding. Anyone heard of them or have any experience with their lenses?

13. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

Not that much. It's called "Photic sneeze reflex" and it affects 18-35% of the human population. (wiki)

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15801

It is most important to have a good ultraviolet filter and the polarisation is a plus. Here is an interesting article

http://vision.about.com/od/eyeexaminations/a/sun_protection.htm

14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Huh, I just learned something. Thanks for enlightening me!

15. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Strange they suggest grey lenses. Rayban use green as it doesn't affect you colour processing. Weird, but green lenses seem to show colours normally.

16. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The way I understand it you are in greater danger of eye damage with non-polarised glasses. The reason again the way I understand it is of course the pupils get larger with a tinted lens, the tinted lends do not block the tight wavelengths as UV as effectively as the looser wavelengths meaning the ratio of UV getting to the eyes increases. Polarisation working because it works on phase of the wavelength reduces that effectively. I still thought it was more expensive ones that did the best job on UV A and B.

17. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

these are on their way to me...

[​IMG]

18. robbobus

robbobus Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing a pair of Uvex polarized sunglasses for about the last 4 months. Came with 3 sets of lenses, amber, dark amber and smoke - all polarized. I've been somewhat of a sunglass snob for years wearing only highend frames and lenses. Maui Jim, Revo, Oakley, Persol, Rayban and these are as high of quality as any of the others. Very lightweight for all day comfort. I picked mine up at Costco for about $50, double that on the bay.

19. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I got a couple of pair of Foster Grants $10 a pair a Walmart.

20. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Perhaps someone can take a look around the medical community on eye care and report back.