1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Bellytop (Mini Laptop)

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by RyanMalpiede, Mar 22, 2009.

1. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

Linux works - quite well - it is fast, stable, and robust.

What it doesn't do yet - is run all Microsoft programs perfectly.

I would have gone with Linux had I not needed to be compliant with my Work system.

Win XP is a good solution. Windows 7 takes way less memory to run, and Microsoft wants to axe XP - so they will make an acceptable Netbook solution.

KM

2. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

On the topic of Windows 7 on Netbooks, Samsung says their netbooks can run the full version, but the reality is it comes down to pricing as the more capable versions of the OS will cost more and could price a netbook out of competition.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/samsung_microsoft_our_netbooks_can_run_full_version_windows_7

Other interesting thing is that the crippled version of 7 targeted to netbooks only runs 3 apps at a time. That's bordering on useless in my opinion. If they count a thirdparty firewall and antivirus as applications it would be REALLY bad.

Interesting to see how this plays out as there are dual core atom chips in Intel's near term future.

3. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

Very happy w/ my Acer Aspire One. 1gb of RAM and XP.

4. MagicDot

MagicDot Loaded Pockets

..but how does the linux versions run the flash so many websites utilize?

5. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Pretty well actually. In the various flavors of Ubuntu you want to install "flashplugin-nonfree" But it is free.

Phil

6. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

How do these mini laptops work when using an external hard drive? Fast? Slow? Acceptable?

7. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

As good as any other computer via USB. USB is the bottleneck. No esata yet.

8. christian_piper

christian_piper Empty Pockets

Just like phatch said, you need to install the plugin yourself. Any linux forum will be filled with steps you can follow if you cannot figure things out yourself.. (Because finding driver names isnt always as intuitive as typing in "flash plugin" into the package manager. Although many times it is) - essentially, if you cannot figure it out, a search on the forums of your linux distro will clear things up

-nonfree is referring to it not being open source. It is still no cost to you. (You will find this type of thing a lot- for example, because of licensing most linux distros do not automatically support mp3- yet all of their forums tell you how to install the non-incuded plugins extremely easily)

9. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

I have had an Acer Aspire One SSD 8gb for some time and I love the thing. It's made its way into my EDC over my 13.1 inch Lenovo. Right now I am running Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook remix on it. As much as I customized the stock Linpus, it didn't quit cut it for me. I recommend the acer spire one forum. Great resource for updating, maintaining, hacking and upgrading your aspireone. http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/

I use mine for watching videos and surfing when I am not at home. I usually store my stuff on a 16gb SD or run it off of my thumb drives. I was able to find someone that did a group buy for the Buffalo Micro SD reader that I stuck a 8gb card in and it works great with the Acer. Can't even tell its there: http://portablemonkey.com/article/got-my-buffalo-micro-usb-reader-rmum-2g-bk/

Netbooks are great. I would recommend actually going out and taking at a look at the different models. For example, the Asus Eee is pretty small and the biggest complaint is that the key board is too small. If you have larger fingers this could be a problem.

10. amphipolis

amphipolis Loaded Pockets

I just placed an order for an Asus. Thanks for all the hints and tips. :thumbsup:

11. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

from the short while i used the default xandros on my eeepc 900, i recall it came with flash of some version preinstalled.

and while ubuntu do not come with it bundled, i distinctly recall them having a wizard that would pop up if firefox ever encountered the need for flash on a page.

btw, dell's mini 9 and mini 10 uses ubuntu by default rather then the sillyness of xandros (asus) and linpus (acer).

12. matt0

matt0 Loaded Pockets

I too have an 8.9" Acer Aspire One.  I have a dual boot with the stock WinXP and the new UNR 9.04.  I find myself using Ubuntu far more often than XP.  I have a 16GB SD card in one of the SD slots that I use to store pics/music so that I can more easily access them from either operating system.

If I did it over again, I might have bought the Dell Mini9 instead only because it comes with Ubuntu on it so it would work 100%.  With the AAO, Ubuntu doesn't seem to recognize an SD card unless it was in there at startup.

I did upgrade to 1.5GB of RAM which was a more involved process but it certainly wasn't hard

[​IMG]

13. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

The issue with the SD card reader is about hot swapping PCI devices.

There is a simple configuration tweak that works in most cases though it adds very slightly to the boot time. And this tweak can corrupt a mounted SD card if you suspend the netbook. So it's not for all situations yet.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13627&start=50#p86894 for the config change but read through the next few pages of the thread for discussion of the suspend issue (a few pages later).

14. matt0

matt0 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that link, I joined AOU back when I first got mine but haven't visited there much. Slower boot time alone makes it not worth it to me

15. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these... I'm leaning toward the Dell mini 9, but still looking at others.

A few questions:

1. In addition to general internet browsing and email, I'm hoping to use this to transfer pictures from our SD cards to an external hard drive. I'm guessing this is no problem for these minis?

2. Anyone running iTunes on their mini? How is it?

3. Do they play movies off an SD card or external hard drive OK?

Thanks!

16. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

The netbooks run the Atom 330 - which is a Core 2 Processor - 533 MHz FSB.

The answer to all your questions is Yes - you can't play many video games - due to the low end graphics support - but everything else will be fine. No problem playing movies off of an SD card, HD, or USB external drive.

I use mine, for music, video, browsing, presentations and I can run several programs at a time.

One advantage in getting an HP Mini 1000 is the DRAM upgrade to 2GB is very quick - less than one minute. I got mine with a 16GB Flash Drive for the main drive.

Shiner

17. sdg

sdg Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the answers. I'm considering the HP Mini 1000. Costco has it for $299 shipped. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11469982&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|84|78453&N=4034819&Mo=10&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78453&Ns=P_Price|0||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C#

I'm considering the Mini 9 with Ubuntu which is upgradable to 2gb.

BestBuy currently has a pretty :censored: good deal on an Asus http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9299537&type=product&id=1218079342133

But, I think I'd feel more comfortable with a Dell or HP.

18. zshiner

zshiner Loaded Pockets

on You Tube - search for Mini 1000 - you will find the video on how to upgrade the memory.

Literally - takes less than a minute.

I wound get the 16GB Flash drive - if you ever think you might run Windows.

Also ... get the 10" you get a a bigger keyboard ... that 1" is really worth it.

Shiner

19. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

Don't go SSD. You're eventually gonna figure out that it's really handy to have a few burned movies on it for plane rides and such, and same with MP3's, and that disk will fill up instantly. Regular HD, big as you can.Go Aspire, especially with the slightly bigger version. HP and Dell are charging more for the name.

20. jake.t

jake.t Empty Pockets

my vote is for a $5000 Alienware Area 51 gaming laptop You will never need to stretch one of these baby's to the max :winkwink: