1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Battery Back-Up

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Stranger, Jan 17, 2017.

1. JD HHI 6092

JD HHI 6092 Loaded Pockets

Just received my Dark Energy Poseidon battery pack. Look sold and well made.

PreparedCitizen and ballistic like this.
  2. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

This begs the question for me: is there a decent casing out there that is ruggedized; allows insertion/removal of a couple of 18650s, has a charging input and two USB outputs? Alternatively I was hoping one of the new generation of flashlights (eg Nitecore MH20) would have a discharge to other equipment capability such as a phone for use as an emergency power charger...

tbzbbt

3. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

I've looked up and down for a similar solution; my opinion is the GoalZero Venture series (sealed (IPX6/IPX68), probably 18650s in there) are your best bet. I understand the need to quickly grab an 18650 out of the pack, but you then negate the entire powerbank functionality. You could use a Nitecore F1 for a single 18650 charger/powerbank solution (throw a couple extra 18650s in a watertight (Pelican 1010?) case).

4. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

I don't know about ruggedized, but there is the Thrunite C2. It can hold one 18650, either to charge it or to charge another device.

(I don't actually own one, so I can't say if it is any good.)

iomatic likes this.
  5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have a bigboy bank on the slow boat that (hopefully) does just this minus the ruggerized part;

[​IMG]
    Took a bit of a gamble ordering this one since reviews on this exact model are near impossible to find but i do have some experience with the brand and those are decent enough to warrant this shot in the dark.

This model takes 1-5 18650s behind an easily accessible battery flap so you can fill it up with 5 and if you ever need a cell for your flashlight you can just pull one out and the bank will still work fine (tho with less capacity). Reason i ordered this specific model is because of the multi-voltage 18W input jack that should charge the cells at a usable speed, and because it has a qc3.0 output port next to a regular one that i am hoping will still output 2amps. It will still be able to charge the cells inside from a regular USB power-source in a pinch but that will take too bloody long for me once i fit this with high capacity cells (5v at 1A and you're looking at minimal 12hr charge).

If it works the way i hope then it will be a keeper, let me know if youd like to see a little review once it arrives.

weylan likes this.
  6. weylan

weylan Loaded Pockets

Is there a name for this one?

Dreaming of camping or aquaponics and the pond.

7. Westerdutch

Not really, the ad was also being quite vague about the model so its difficult to find this exact one. Its elder sister without the QC functionality and a dc multi-voltage output instead of an input is easier to find but a completely different beast altogether. Thats the Quidian 185 TY to get you going, what model number the one i have ordered is exactly i could not tell you. I found it through multiple auto-translation steps and a lot of link hopping. The brand is being marketed a Qidian, Tese or more correctly 七电. Ill post the exact model here once i receive it (if there even is a latin/alphanumeric model number on there).

8. weylan

weylan Loaded Pockets

I think I found it, though it maybe sold out, and if it is the same, there is no mention of QC so it may not be the same. I look forward to your review.

I like easy access batteries and battery banks. Like you said "it let's you carry spares" in a usable container.

9. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

Love this option; probably lots of reviews around. Might give my Nitecore F1 a run for its money (I love the ultralight compactness though).

10. weylan

weylan Loaded Pockets

I Love the F1 as well. It works really well for charging slow. But for things like an iPad, the battery is not enough. Unless you have very good batteries. What I find it really good for is to use in combination with a solar panel. You can charge the battery, but if there's not enough power from Solar, he steals from the battery some, and still charges the device. Without Solar, the F1 can't charge an iPad much.

This is where some of the larger battery banks that can do pass-through charging shine.

11. Westerdutch

Well the one without the qc and multivoltage input is actually quite common and easy to find but people really only get that one to charge oddball devices or use it as an improved bench power supply. If that's what you are looking for than its a pretty solid bank but i really want something that charges quicker.

12. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

I use the Streamlight EPU-5200 for my EDC power bank. It's IPX-4, sealed against the elements pretty well (lots of sand where I live), and has four lights that let you know how full it is (5200 full). Bare bones, but I love it.

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

iomatic likes this.
  13. randyo

randyo Empty Pockets

I recently bought an Antigravity Micro-Start XP-1 for dual use. I keep it in my vehicle for emergency jump-starts and for charging anything that needs charging. It's a 12,000 mAh battery with output jacks for the short jumper cables, a USB jack, and a 19V DC jack for laptop charging. I knew going in that it would not have a tip to fit my HP Spectre X-360 so I bought a charger tip package from eBay which looks like it has tips to charge everything except maybe Dilithium crystals or Phasers. I've used it twice now for jump starts. It will remain in my vehicle. I have smaller emergency chargers for the phones. I'm not thrilled with the softcase that came with the XP-1 so I'm going to put it, the tips, and a few other items into either a MaxP Beefy or a Vanquest Huge - won't know which 'til the huge arrives next week.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by randyo, Apr 23, 2017
    #53 randyo, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  14. randyo

randyo Empty Pockets

When I ordered the Onite charging tip set I hoped that the common plug on the bottom of all of the tips would match up with the cable supplied with the XP-1 charger. It did. That gives you a lot of possibilities and makes it an extremely versatile combination of products. The last accessory I'll probably acquire for this setup is the Cigarette Lighter 12V receptacle which plugs into the 12V output on the XP-1.

[​IMG]

Last edited by randyo, Apr 23, 2017
    #54 randyo, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  15. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

IPX6 or 8 would've been great, but hey we take what we can. Is there anything on the market that has swappable 18650s (and can run on 1) out there, and highly water-proof/resistant?

Anyone?

Thanks!

16. Westerdutch

Well, there probably are powerbanks like that but waterproof in combination with an easy accessible battery compartment makes for a more difficult design than usual. Combine that design difficulty with the double niche you are looking at (waterproof nor user replaceable 18650 are main stream) and it might be difficult to locate and probably expensive. That blitzwolf lantern and some good ol powerbank integrated flashlights spring to mind but off the top of my head i cant point you towards what you are looking for exactly. Will keep an eye open tho.

17. iomatic

iomatic Loaded Pockets

A two-way (input/output) flashlight/charger sounds like a really good opportunity. With IPX6+ of course. :)

18. Westerdutch

Fenix cl30r. Bulky for your purpose but waterproof, 3x18650, usb in and out.

19. Westerdutch

Well this puppy arrived today, will be putting it through its paces in the next couple of days.

For those interested the model number is qd185-fc and going by the packaging and manual is fully intended for the Chinese market only.

20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well good luck with that then! Let us know how it works out for you.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David