1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Battery Back-Up

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Stranger, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I remember reading in the 'What Did You Get in the Mail Today' thread where (either) GatorMedic or CatherineM got a nice battery back up in the mail. It was a cell phone-sized device that would charge your device on the go.

I've looked at what Duracell has to offer, and I am interested, but what I mentioned above was not a Duracell. I don't remember the brand name of it. That's why I'm writing this. I had the impression that the device in question was of the highest quality.

I would like to know what that device was, but I would also like to know what the 'best' out there is. Any suggestions?

chaos07 likes this.
  2. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Don't know about "the best one" but I am very satisfied with my Anker Astro E5 PowerBank. 15.000mAh, two outputs (1A and 2A). I don't know if they still make that particular model, though.
    Its a bit bulky, but it charges a phone and/or tablet very quickly and holds a boatload of power.

Stranger likes this.
  3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

Agree that there is no "best". I'd definitely figure out all the things you need to charge before you pick one if you haven't already done so. If it's just a backup charge for your phone then just about any 2200-3000mAh device will work and just about everyone makes one these days. If you need multiple charges or you need to also cover a tablet then go 6000 or higher. I'd also opt for a device with multiple ports if you think you will ever need to charge multiple devices simultaneously.

I've been using EasyCharge devices for the past two years. THe EC12000 will charge and Ipad Mini plus two phones simultaneously or an Ipad Pro. The EC6000 will recharge an iPhone 2-3 times on a charge or 90% of an iPad Mini before it's depleted. They also come with a 3 headed charging cord in case you have multiple types of devices. Before these, I used probably 5-6 different brands of 2200 mAh charges and they all worked about the same. I was getting them free at work and probably still have a few sitting in my drawer.

http://easycharge.org/collections/external-batteries

Another pretty good one I used were the Halo 3000 chargers. Its a compact little charger which also means that the cord is pretty short.

http://shop.halo2cloud.com/collections/power

Last edited by Dirty Rod, Jan 18, 2017
    #3 Dirty Rod, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Stranger likes this.
  4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Another vote here for Anker's power banks.

billybatson, dmwhiteman and Stranger like this.
  5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I still use the Anker Astro 3e 10,000 mAh. It's the size of a phone and slow but persistent and reliable. It holds its own charge quite well too.

jdo330 and Stranger like this.
  6. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

Anker here too...after many other failed units.

dmwhiteman, Stranger and Nick4305 like this.
  7. Matteblack

Matteblack Loaded Pockets

I know it is a little bigger / heavier, but I have seen good things about the Halo Bolt AC/DC. You initially charge it up, it can jump start your car, power phones, or even a plug in item like a lamp. Good item to have with you traveling for many reasons....I like the fact that if you are at a hotel or something and power goes out, you could plug in and run a lamp/laptop, etc in the room off of it for several hours.

Stranger likes this.
  8. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

Thank you for your responses. I think you jogged my memory. I think it was an Anker.

Charging a cell phone is a great idea, but I'd like something that could be a DC power source for something like a Creative Sound Blaster Roar. Most such units will have a DC port for an AC adaptor. If I could plug a battery pack into it, I wouldn't worry so much about how long the internal battery will last.

It's annoying to me that these companies would rather make extra money on me by selling me an internal battery, when using 4 AA batteries is clearly more convenient. If I could replace a removable battery, then I would be willing to buy an extra one, but an internal battery can leave me stuck until I get home. Plugging an external pack into it, mimicking an AC adaptor, is a good substitute, plus, it's a good thing to have in a pocket for all kinds of reasons. I'll look into the Ankers, and see if there's one I like.

9. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

You should also check the ampere output levels of the device. While the USB standard specifies 5 Volts, the Amperes are a bit more variable. I have seen cell phone chargers with everything between 0.x Amps up to 2 Amps. The latter is preferable, as it charges much quicker. I actually had the power level on my phone drop while charging (and using it at the same time) with a low-amp charger.

Stranger likes this.
  10. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

Another Anker fan here.
    I have a lot of Anker products, chargers, cords and battery packs. I feel their power packs are very good and will buy them again when needed.
    I have small, medium and large packs that hold their charge for long times and have the ability to charge my phones and lights at different amp rates.
    Maybe not "The" best, but for me, they are the best.

Lateck,

tabbywmollya and Stranger like this.
  11. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I also have the Anker Astro E3 10,000mAh and it is awesome. It is about the same size as my phone, so not the smallest unit. It can charge two devices at the same time and has enough capacity to charge my phone several times. It also charges my devices pretty quickly. I currently have a google Pixel phone. it will show either Charging Slowly, Charging, or Charging Rapidly, depending on the charger in use. When connected to my Anker E3, it shows Charging Rapidly. It will charge about 1% every minute, which is pretty good.

I have a few other battery packes of various brands, mostly cheap ones.... they all show Charging Slowly. I will only buy Anker from this point on.

12. Legend

Legend Loaded Pockets

Anker is sold, I have also heard great things about the Amazon Basics battery packs as well.
    --Ben

13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

It's not really about making extra money, aa batteries do not have the capacity and form factor need for power banks. Sure these devices exist but they are quite bulky and honesty if you are going to lug a spare set of aa batteries around your could just as well just buy a bigger bank with internal battery to begin with or just carry two small ones. They are not that expensive anyhow. I myself use a powerbank that's powered by 18650 batteries giving the best and worst of both worlds...

14. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I was referring to a device like a bluetooth speaker. Most, if not all, have internal batteries, so if it's dead you are stuck until you can recharge it. I think you were referring to a power pack like the Anker, but that uses AA batteries. I would like one of those too, but the Ankers look like the best way to go. I intend to get 2 or 3. Canadian Tire had a AA Duracell pack on sale at Christmas for $70. Regular price must have been over $100. I didn't buy it.

With an Anker, I would never be without power. I just hope it could replace an AC receptacle when the internal is dead. Then I could listen to music while it's plugged in to the Anker. I'd have to get both to know for sure.

15. Ronin101

Ronin101 Loaded Pockets

FYI. I have wanted one to keep in my edc bag for the longest time. I bought a 2 pack of Honeywell 10,000 mah with two outputs for 25 bucks from Sam's club. I charged my iphone 6 from 10% to 100% while using it and used 25 percent of the battery. It also has a blue led that goes from 1-100 so you get a better idea of how much charge is left. long term use..we will see. cant beat the price

16. greg.279

greg.279 Empty Pockets

I have the black Go Puck power bank, and can't say enough good things about it. It charges my phone fully at least a couple of times, and it does it very quickly. It's rubberized on the outside, and comes with a clip thing that lets you attach it to bags, etc. It was $99 if I recall correctly.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

17. tabbywmollya

tabbywmollya Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Anker astro E3. Ive been running for 3 years with no problems.[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

18. DannyX

DannyX Loaded Pockets

For the flashlight folks: I recommend Soshine powerbank. Works with 1 or 2 18650 cells, so you can take one out if your light runs dry and still use the powerbank with the other cell left. Also you can charge your 18650 cells on the go (if you're travelling, etc.).

19. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I love Anker products as well. The one I carry daily is the Astro 6700mAh, which holds two 18650 batteries. It is small enough for pocket carry, but best in a bag.

20. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Anker PowerCore 10000 with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0. Two and a bit fast charges for my Nexus 6.

I've had a few Anker devices and (so far) have no complaints at all.