1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best backpack...?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by mtn_guy_79, Aug 25, 2014.

1. mtn_guy_79

mtn_guy_79 Loaded Pockets

Ok, making a career change after getting hurt in the army, which is requiring that I go back to school for a new degree. I need a more :censored: friendly backpack that can handle carrying several textbooks plus a MacBook and other essentials. I have a maxped larkspur that capacity wise is great, but as far as carrying the load comfortably and organization wise is lacking greatly. Looking for something that will meet my needs without breaking the bank and without scarring all the :censored: on a university campus. All I have is very military and tactical looking gear. Any thoughts or suggestions. I want to blend I. As much as is possible.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

mtn_guy_79

Thank you for your service. :)

How about the 5.11 Tactical COVRT 18 Backpack ?? It's full of great organization and does not look tactical at all. No molle or anything else that would scare anybody at a university campus. A quick search revealed prices as low as around $88 online.

SP

3. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

So I really like my CamelBak Urban Assault XL. It has great organization, a suspended pocket for you laptop, a large main compartment for textbooks. It also has a large external pocket between the main pocket and admin pouch that is expandable so to speak and has compression straps. It's great if you have a hoodie or jacket or something and need a place to carry it. It runs in the $175 range.

Now if you want to go cheaper. One of the GoRuck SD series bags would be sturdy enough for everything. Though you'd need a sleeve for your laptop and a small admin pouch to put pens, etc. in. The SD series doesn't have all the MOLLE. Either bag will blend, I carry the CamelBak in a professional environment. Both are your classic black bags. The CamelBak has shoulder straps that adjust with your size and movement.

4. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

You may consider the OGIO Renegade. It's a little on the larger side of EDC, but given what you are carrying, I think it would be a good fit with lots of organization. I EDC'd one for for work and loved it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. you may want to consider changing the name of your thread so you don't attract the "is there really a best bag" debate. Just a thought.

5. mtn_guy_79

Thanks for the input guys. I definitely need to find something in the sub $100.00 range, capacity is a big deal for sure.I really like the GoRuk line of bags, unfortunately they are out of my price range and I am unsure of their capacity…

FL Woods Bum, I am not sure how to change the thread title.

6. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

i would check out The North Face. I've had a recon for 5 years and i'm waiting for it to break so i can replace it. it was ~$70 when i got it. they have bags from $50 on up.

Doug507 likes this.
  7. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Osprey, Pantagonia, Northface, Kelty, and Mountiansmith to name a few all have good quality, affordable and non-military looking packs that can carry books, computrers, tablets, smartphones and most of your EDC items.

Happy pack shopping!

8. Doug507

Doug507 Loaded Pockets

North Face. My son has lugged a Surge II around for three years of high school and it's still going strong, and showing very little wear. Great organization and awesome capacity. He says its very comfortable with his ridiculous load of text books.

9. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Sorry about that, I bought my Renegade for $90 way back when, didn't even think to check the current price. Brain fart.

10. wstamper

wstamper Loaded Pockets

I have the OGIO Squadron pack for EDC.

11. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

REI has the Eureka Wolf Jaw 40 Pack in you price range. Should meet most, if not all your requirements.

12. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Eddie Bauer has some packs on sale.
    Two more sub $100.00 packs that should get you through all the college years ahead.

If you need a slightly larger multi-purpose pack, look at Kelty's Redwing 50L pack. A little over your budget range. I use the Redwing 50L pack as my EDC pack. Bigger than most, yes, but I have extra capacity when I need some, and the pack is comfortable whether lightly loaded or maxed out.

13. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

I have a Goruck GR1, nice bag, but my main issue is I'm in IT, and the lack of organization was killing me, along with moving in Philly after taking the train down and walking to client sites, the back of my dress shirts would be soaked from the lack of airflow and the materials they use. I just bought a North Face Surge II this weekend, and it handles the load the GR1 made feel disorganized with ease. I actually could fit everything in the laptop compartment and the admin pocket, along with the two front over lapping pockets, and kept the main compartment empty and left for future expansion or a windbreaker if it's raining. And it's also a ton more comfortable to carry, and doesn't make my dress shirts soaked or hurt my shoulders. I recommend that, it's around $125. If you have to keep it under a hundred, go with the Recon, it's right around that.

14. alecgold

alecgold Loaded Pockets

Something different? How about a TNT-EMDOM extended? It's nicely looking, holds lots of gear, has an option for backpacking, can be worn briefcase style and I have a black one laying around that you might be able to secure within your budget :)

Changing careers is always difficult, getting hurt isn't easy, getting out of the army can be difficult as well and all three together can be tough. If a good bag helps just a bit? :D
    Otherwise I might help you to a black T.H.E. Pack, but that has lots of molle around. Not really :censored: friendly.
    The Goruck Radio Ruck is too small, I think?

edit: hey are sheepish folks censored? Hmmm, didn't know that. What is the friendly name for them these days?

15. mtn_guy_79

alecgold What are the dims on the Radio ruck? Here is what i need to fit into a bag: Two 2" binders, 15" MacBook Pro and charge cord, text books totaling in dims of 11" x 9" x 5"(all stacked together), Two Maxped cocoons, and a small FAK. Just minimal and basic.

16. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe go back and look at the Goruck site again?
    The SD line is advertised there as the Book Bag you will nnot break and the biggest one is still under your price limit.
    They are listed by the capacity so the SD26 is 26 liters,you get the idea?

I think their whole reputation is built around how crazy rugged and tough the bags are so I wouldn't worry about that and they seem pretty basic and simple which can be a good thing for sure.

Also the Radio Ruck is both no longer made and way out of your price range but again the SD line seems made for your needs to me.

17. alecgold

alecgold Loaded Pockets

Size: 12"w x 17"h x 6.5"d
    Protects up to a 15" Macbook
    Volume: 24 LITERS
    Weight: 2.9 lbs
    So it's a nice day bag size, not too big and IIRC I have a radio pouch and somewhere a GR1 pouch with. Need to look into that when I get home. But those pouches can be hang on the outside if you would want that.
    They are no longer in production as of 7-2014 I think?

18. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets