1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Airline Travel Carry-On Bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TARFU, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

About 2/3 of the way down this page, Doug Dyment of OneBag discussed the issue of what he calls "Creeping Bloat"and used the MLC as an example. However, looking at Patagonia's product page, it looks like they have trimmed it back to just under maximum legal carry-on, which is a good thing, in my opinion, considering that airlines all have slightly different standards.

If the Tom Bihn shoulder strap doesn't work out for you, I think the Kata Gecko Shoulder Strap is actually a better idea, and a lot cheaper.

I can't wait! I'm especially interested in your impressions of the MLC bag. :popcorn:

2. Makahbay

Makahbay Banned

Tumi Tech from Costco is an excellent roll on bag. AFAIK they aren't built quite as sturdy as regular Tumi luggage (non-Costco), but then they are a lot cheaper and mine has been rock solid for 2 years now.

Prior to my Tumi Tech I burnt through 3 roll on luggage bags from major, well respected, manufactures -- and every one developed issued within a year.

3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Yes, will do.

BTW, great link from OneBag. Doug provides very thorough information on that site and all of it adds value regardless of whether you agree with all of his takes or not. For instance, in my opinion, Doug largely ignores cost/value as a factor in his recommendations because he focuses on the frequent business traveler. Almost all of the bags on his recommendation list are over $200 and some well over that amount now as costs have increased. I typically travel via air 3-4 times per year and therefore it would be rather ridiculous for me to invest in a costly over built bag designed to withstand the rigors of 100,000+ air miles annually. For such people, Red Oxx or Tom Bihn products are pretty much a no-brainer purchase. Not only will the bag last longer for them but the return on investment is much shorter (because of the bag fees).

Regarding the MLC, you're right - Patagonia did reduce the dimensions. It's actually smaller than the Red Oxx Air Boss, the bag that Doug helped design. In fact, I read complaints on several forums that the Air Boss is too large. One person mentioned it was like carrying a Hummer on your shoulder. So, I wonder if his example of "bag bloat" should be updated. ;-)

4. dmanny

dmanny Loaded Pockets

I can vouch for the Absolute strap. Once you use that you'll end up never using a normal strap again. It spreads the weight, absorbs the shock and grips your shoulder. I've taken it all over the world.

5. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I fly about once a year and I carry an eBags eTech Weeekender Convertible that I got for $35, so I'm with you. :laugh:

I tend to overstuff my bag, so I may need to look at a Patagonia MLC. My eBags Weekender always fits in the metal carry-on checking devices at the airline counter, but I've been asked to gate check the bag about every other time I fly. Granted, I'm usually flying on smaller planes, but a slightly undersized bag may be a better carry-on bag.

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Good to hear! Bihn is very efficient. Order was shipped same today. Pretty impressive.

7. billwilson

billwilson Loaded Pockets

alot of folks scoff at wheeled bags

i have 4 eagle creek wheelers
    life time warrentee
    nothing wrong with any of them
    my original bag 12 years old has been
    in and out of SE asia, checked bag, single prop planes
    wheeled thru mud, stones, beach and rain

If you like shouldering 50 pounds of junk, cool for you
    I am a whimp :)

the above 12 year old bag is a 20 inch roller
    with that and a small briefcase/shoulder bag i get
    in all i need for SE asia including laptop for a month or more

8. PonchoTA

PonchoTA Empty Pockets

I've been using this for a few years now, and it is amazing for travel!! I spend about 1/3 of the year on the road usually, and never go anywhere without it!

[​IMG]

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/router-wheeled-laptop-convertible/20172?productid=71320
    (mine's black with gold color)

Very well built and holds a LOT of stuff! Not as heavy as it looks either.
    Has a dedicated padded laptop slot so you don't need to fumble around getting your 'puter in and out. Cannot recommend this highly enough!

9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I think if you're going to lug 50 lbs around, then wheeled is the only way to go. Personally, I try to pack much lighter (even for international travel). Wheeled bags get a bad rap because:

1) They're heavier than their non-wheeled counterparts
    2) They often have to be checked because their frames are rigid and they tend to be larger
    3) More to break on a wheeled bag. Yes, your lifetime warranty addresses that but you paid handsomely for it (Eagle Creek bags aren't cheap) and that's no consolation if a wheel or handle breaks in the middle of a trip.
    4) They tend to be lower in volume for the same size bag since some of the storage space is taken up by the hardware
    5) They are harder to transport if you have to ride trains and buses to your destination. Hard to roll over cobblestone streets, up stairs, etc.

10. mgk1789

mgk1789 Loaded Pockets

Didn't see this thread until just now. I own 2, yes 2, FIRST Generation Patagonia MLCs. Still have both to this day. One for myself and one for my wife. We first purchased them way back for our honeymoon trip through Europe. They were not the only bags we carried but I still use them to this day for weekend trips but you can actually stuff them as others have mentioned to the point where you can carry up to a few days worth. I actually have used it as my only bag for a week long trip before.

Very durable, fantastic bag with just enough pockets and organization. The single shoulder strap on one dried out and cracked/peeled but I used the backpack straps more anyways. I can't speak for the current generation but it is still my go to bag depending on the travel situation.

11. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Good stuff. Well, I guess we'll see if the current version measures up. I'm starting to feel pretty good about these two purchases with all the positive feedback!

12. pagga

pagga Loaded Pockets

Soooo....where does this crowd hang out at? Do they have a forum too?

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

14. malamalama

malamalama Loaded Pockets

Don't have a Skytrain, but I have both a Red Oxx Air Boss and a TB Aeronaut with an Absolute Strap. I see you've already made your choice but in case anyone else is interested, both are great bags. To me, the main difference between the two is how you would pack them. The Air Boss and the TB Tri Star both have zippers so that the sections open briefcase style. You pull the zippers along the three sides and it opens flat like a book. The Aeronaut is more of a traditional suitcase or duffel bag style of packing where you open it from the top and put your things in an open space.

15. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

16. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I wish I had seen this post earlier. I travel a lot for work and my travel gear has gone through a metamorphosis recently. Even though TARFU has his new gear on the way, its always great to see what others are doing so I'll go a head post on the subject.

Generally I'm gone for a day or two at a time. I ended up with a Briggs & Riley Explore 19, which is a 19" wheeled carry-on. Slightly smaller than the regular 22" carry-on, it is also a soft sided case. The wheels have bearings so it rolls smoothly. It has plenty of room for my clothes and shaving kit in the mail compartment. The outer compartment is perfect for my GPS and a jacket, or it has a laptop pocket. There is also a large outer pocket I'll stuff my iPad in occasionally.

I've found that the 19" bag is easier to get into the overhead storage compartments and I can put it in longways and still shut the compartment door. This is handy if the bins are fairly full. I also usually have my laptop with me in a Swiss Army Big Ben, which is a TSA approved bag. It sure is convenient not having to remove it, the laptop that is, at security.

17. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

A tactical Zuca Would be awesome,if that concept works hands on then its going to be a game changer

18. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Why would I want to sit on my luggage? Are airports charging extra for chairs now too? LOL.

19. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Don't give them any ideas. I've actually been to the area airport a couple times and had to stand it was so busy.

20. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

When there ace 10 hour delays all round and every seat in taken

Tbh i was more taken with the draws