1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best Airline Travel Carry-On Bag?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by TARFU, Feb 5, 2012.

1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Looking for a tough airline travel carry-on that either has wheels with a handle like traditional luggage or coverts to backpack carry. Would like it to have some internal EDC-like organization and not just the typical main compartment with a couple of shoe pouches.

I've been eyeing the Maxpedition DoppleDuffel but I've been unhappy with Maxpedition's lack of quality control lately. Looks like Hazard 4 is coming out with something but it isn't released yet.

I'd prefer softside over hardside. Any suggestions?

marinedownunder likes this.
  2. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

3. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Ive used my Sitka and Falcon II a few times and really like both .. As a matter of fact I am flying to FL next week for my cruise and I will be taking my Sitka this time

4. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

5. epm357

epm357 Loaded Pockets

I have the Doppelduffel. I use it for travel all the time. Very good bag. You can pack a lot of things in it. Great organization. I highly recommend it.

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Have you missed having a rolling bag? Kind of wish that had wheels.

7. BDJeep

BDJeep Empty Pockets

Check out Red Oxx or goruck bags

8. TomInOregon

TomInOregon Loaded Pockets

I believe the Doppelduffel is larger than carry-on size. My son and I both have the Fliegerduffel and we lived out of them for a month in Europe last year. We used packing cubes for organization, which allowed us to reconfigure the load as we added stuff to the bags. They worked great for us and easily fit in the overhead bins and under the seats. The compression straps really helped snug down the bags, too. They were comfortable in backpack mode, but a little awkward to carry with the handle alone. Quality was just fine on ours and, in fact, they still look like new.

9. motzus

motzus Loaded Pockets

My wife and I both have a Red Oxx Sky Train (http://www.redoxx.com/Trip-to-China-merits-praise-for-Red-Oxx-Gear/Sky-Train/91019/10144/Product). We both love the bag. Two big compartments with a few smaller organizer compartments. Its great because you can carry it as a backpack or stow the straps and carry it as a regular shoulder bag. We've used it for a couple of trips already and don't use any of our other bags anymore (we have a ton of other bags ranging from duffel style to small rolling to large rolling).

If you don't need the backpack straps the Red Oxx air boss which is roughly the same size has slightly better organization because it has 3 large compartments. We have both and prefer the sky train for the backpack straps. I only use the air boss when I need to carry a suit. One compartment gets dedicated to the suit so it doesn't get wrinkled.

10. GuywithSocks

GuywithSocks Loaded Pockets

11. ragnobash

ragnobash Loaded Pockets

I have traveled around the globe using my Kafiru 2nd Gen Marauder pack. Fits in the overheard in most commercial plans, is durable as all hell, and it's stated some great conversations. Worth every penny I spent on it.

12. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Thanks. It would pain me to pay that much for a bag but looking hard at the Tom Bihn Aeronaut. Those backpacker straps look more comfortable than the ones on the Red Oxx Skytrain (for instance). Anyone have experience with both? Any other covertable carry-on bags out there at a lower price point? Not sure I travel enough to cost justify the Tom Bihn. God help me... maybe Maxped is my best option...

13. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Say it's not so. I was hoping you'd hold out for the hazard4 travel case so I can see the review. I had the dopple, but it didn't fit my need and was sold quickly.

14. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

LOL. I still might. My bonus doesn't come until April and the wife might kick my butt if I order anything else significant before then.

Initially, I had my mind set on a new rolling bag, but these softside carry-on/backpack hybrids are really peaking my interest. That's mostly because the :censored: airlines keep increasing bag fees and rolling bags are always potentially subject to check-in if you're not among the first passengers on an airplane.

I looked at the dimensions again on the Doople. I think its too big for airline carry-on. I think TominOregon posted that earlier on the thread and I chose to ignore it. Sigh. I could go with the FliegerDuffel... but honestly I'm not really into Maxped after reading about all the quality issues and their total lack of customer service. Not cool.

marinedownunder likes this.
  15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I know this may not be what you had in mind, but you might considered the eBags Weekender eTech Convertible. I have one and I was pleasantly surprised with its performance. It is carry-on size in the US, though you may be asked to gate-check it anyway on small planes. It can cinch down pretty well, it offers several carry options, and it has a decent organizer pouch on the outside and compression straps and an organizer pocket inside.

The best part is you can get one for less than $60, and maybe even less if you shop around. I got one new and still partially packaged from a seller on OBOW.

16. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

Red Oxx Flying Boxcar...or anything from the Red Oxx line

17. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Might be worth a look at Cilogear. I know a guy who uses one of their duffels whilst touring all over the world. I just asked him what it was, as I couldn't remember the name.

18. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

OK, so an update...

I ended up ordering something nobody suggested - the Patagonia MLC. ;D

The MLC is actually very well known and highly regarded among another "cult-ish" group - the one bag travel crowd (our EDC cousins). It falls between the high end brands (Tom Bihn, Red Oxx, etc.) and low end brands (eBags, Rick Steves). It meets the maximum carry-on size and is a convertible, which means it has a single strap for shoulder carry and stow away backpack straps. The more I thought about it, the back pack straps were a requirement if I was going to give up wheels. O'Hare can be a hike depending on what gate you get assigned.

I caught a sale and got a very good price on the MLC on Patagonia's web store - $111 plus free shipping. Here is the link:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-mlc-maximum-legal-carry-on-bag?p=48107-1-902

During my research, I also came across Tom Bihn's Absolute Shoulder Strap, which people just rave about. Lots of feedback about how the neoprene pad makes bags feel much lighter than they are and it's non slip so it doesn't fall off your shoulder. The price was a little steep but I figured I'd get lots of use out of it. If it's as advertised, then I might use it on some of my other bags also. Here is the link:

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0505

I think the combination of the two will be a winner and I still came out way ahead compared to pricier options. When I receive the bag and the strap, I will do a review for those who are interested. Stay tuned.

19. Prybry

Prybry Loaded Pockets

I've been using a REI adventure Tour Lite bag for a number of years... works great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The shoulder pads are pretty good, it comes with a belt too but I'm too tall, so I have never used it.
    There is one on ebay right now... that's were I got these pictures.

20. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

Looking forward to it. :popcorn: