1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best aaa flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by luke270, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

I think I'd go with something in a CR123 is what I think.

luke270 likes this.
  2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I mainly carry an AA light and greatly prefer the wide availability of the battery ANYWHERE to even the smallest 123 light when I am out and need to find batteries!

I like the PK2 in a single AAA for enough output to really get around with but I still prefer an AA for the same kind of output but much better run times.

Look at the Jetbeam Jet-1 mk for instance as an outstanding smaller AA light and really inexpensive too.

I carry a ZL SC52w all day,every day along with that Jetbeam and I rarely need anything these 2 can't give me.

Another great light that people rarely seem to talk about is the Eagletac D25AAA!
    This one is as small as any AAA light but can be had in a Nichia version and is 3 speed and overall another favorite of mine,I just can't find mine right now to show you?

Here is the Jetbeam,Preon and Olight left to right.

[​IMG]

#22 EZDog, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Lellobeetle and sc00ts like this.
  3. sc00ts

sc00ts Loaded Pockets

Same here. I’ve been selling off/giving away my cr123 lights. The huge developments in emitter technology the last few years allow outputs from aaa/aa batteries that were once thought impossible. At the other end of the spectrum you have 1,000+ lumen lights running off of a single 18650 that are no bigger than a x2 cr123 light. It’s a great time to be alive if you love flashlights! I don’t see cr123’s going extinct, but they aren’t as necessary as they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HVACn00b and Lellobeetle like this.
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

A Streamlight Microstream rides in my jeans pocket; it shares a leather slipcase with a Fisher pen. A Streamlight Stylus Pro rides in my edc bag. Both of these are tail activated clicky. Nothing fancy; no multiple choices. Although a full click is not needed just to spotlight something. The Microstream clip is designed so that it can fixed to the brim of a ball cap although I don't use it that way. Both use AAA; the Microstream is x1; the Stylus Pro is x2.

Just totally dependable lights.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

RoadWizard likes this.
  5. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Surefire Titan Plus. Best AAA flashlight I’ve ever owned.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Willy

Willy Empty Pockets

Like my three for different reasons. The smallest is a custom from TAIN with tritium in the tail.
    Two Lumintops, Trhunite Ti3 and Tain Ottavino.
    [​IMG]

BigGreenTick likes this.
  7. BladeCommander

BladeCommander Loaded Pockets

My current favorite AAA light (although I have not owned a whole lot) is the Preon P2 Copper.

Lumintop Tool also gets TONS of praise.

I like the length of the tail clicky AAA lights. My twisty AAA's are almost too short to operate one handed. I don't mind a little extra length for a click switch if I am carrying it as my only light.

8. Gonzzo

Gonzzo Loaded Pockets

Been rocking a Streamlight Protac AAA with a 10440 for about 2 years now, it lives clipped to my shirt collar.

With the 10440 it is stupid bright!.....

I use it all the time, charge it about 1 time a month.

Highly recomend it!....

Sent from my SPH-L600 using Tapatalk

9. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

The Maratac AAA (highest "Rev") has the best specs - lumens, lumen spacing, run times, and materials.

Tain Ottavino is the coolest though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. dead-eye

dead-eye Empty Pockets

I have the Titanium version which is light and bright. Just bought the AAAx2 Extreme in Titanium with the following modes:Medium 45 Lumens / Low 5 lumens / High 385 lumens mode brightness control (Simple 3 mode switching). I like the fact that it has a thumb switch which makes switching modes easier.

cbbr likes this.
  11. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

AAA Fenix E05 3way on the key chain... AA Solar Force Z2 in the pocket during Irma (bright on first)

12. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

I have the following, with comments.

Surefire Titan A and B - need to watch out for first issue model A as battery's get stuck in them, current make is OK, overpriced for output. Model B is heavy for the size, expensive for a AAA light but the brightest at 300 lumens, slight green tint.

Olight i3E - have the copper and just got a couple of aluminum. Small and cheap. Interesting to note that Olight rates it at 30 minutes with alkaline and 60 minutes with NiMH.

Streamlight microstream - cheap, switch now comes with replaceable rubber caps

Maratec ti - still in the tin, heavy for titanium

Fenix E01, E05 - E01, longest battery life, 12 lumen output. E05, older model 27 lumens, has a hole in the middle of the lens that collected pocket lint so got rid of it. 2014 model, no hole, three brightness levels topping out at 85 lumens

Preon Copper - I like the switch and copper body but this one does not get much use.

Nitecore 01, cheap, colorful bodies, decent run time 12 lumens

13. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I got my toolvn at skylumens.

Aaa tool at about 700 lumens.

14. Spork

Spork Empty Pockets

The e01 is about what I want for a edc keychain light. I only wish they made them in NW which is about the only thing I use now. Some of the other single mode lights don't have enough run time imo.

I like the Ti3 but I've had trouble with it turning itself on. I also have a lumintop NW on order that I'm going to try.

Even aaa lights are somewhat large for a keychain. However I'm not into the gradual dimming coin cell lights.

15. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

The Olight is probably my favorite AAA light at the moment. I have at least three of them. A purple one rides on my keychain (with my work keys) so while I'm working I will always have at least that light. It's pretty bright for the size with good tint and a nice beam pattern with good throw. It's also cheap enough that it's almost disposable although it seems well made. My second favorite is probably the Streamlight MicroStream. It's not as bright as the Olight but has nice tint and is very well made. I also really like the pocket clip.

When I'm not at work I leave the Olight at home and carry a Malkoff MDC or 1 x CR123a light I made with an MDC body and a Valiant head (M31W inside).

16. lefo

lefo Empty Pockets

Can't miss with the Olight i3E. Small, very bright, inexpensive.

17. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

I've been looking myself for aaa side clicky myself as I'm sick of my twisties unscrewing and the lense falling to the ground ( never buying another Olight despite the reviews, lost the front off 3 of then before going back to a maglite)
    Probably going to end up with a aa tho as I haven't found a aaa I really like yet.
    Thrunite archer a1, maker e11, armytek a1, klarus mi7 and ultratac k18 are in my running atm. More looking required.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

18. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Peak Eiger in AAA. Single mode, can either be had in infinite adjustable configuration or brightness levels from #1 through #8 (you need to state the level during ordering). Tough as hell, never fails on you, Made in USA, available in HAIII Aluminum, stainless steel, brass or copper. That is if reliability is your top requirement as well.

If not, any of those junk Chinese brands will do. Note multi-mode lights are inherently less reliable than their single mode counterparts due to the added complexity of electronics. Doesn't matter which brand it comes from.

You ask me what I carry? An Eiger in stainless or copper as daily carry, and a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff M61 drop-in in backpack.

CIVSD likes this.
  19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well my experience with Peak is anything but what you describe?

I have a few AAA and a few more Logan 17500 and the ones that are fixed level are indeed as solid and reliable as anything else in my collection but the variable output versions are not what I would consider reliable or predictable at all.

The material used to provide the voltage variation is not linear or repeatable in compression or output from it and I have no real faith in a certain level at any time or even if they will make light at all,often they do not.

Further my SS AAA Nichia has NEVER worked since buying it new,not 1 day and I have no intention of standing behind the light with this performance at all.

I have noticed that the bigger the model of light the better the thing will seem to adjust but again nothing about it is smooth or linear or repeatable in any way and if adjusted and set down they will flicker and dim all over the place a lot of times.

I love the idea but they just have not been reliable for me.

20. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

I agree on the variable output version, my only experience wasn't that stellar and it was cumbersome to operate. After that never went that route, always get a fixed, single output model by specifying the level in notes section while ordering. Every single mode light (mostly #4 or #6) I have from Peak works like a champ. Honestly, they should stop doing this silly "infinitely variable output" business and stick to their modes offerings (they even had #0 and sub-zero if you asked for it - these were vampires running on and on and on...).

I'm sorry your experience hasn't been good, and I recommend you touchbase with them -- being a small American shop, they'll take care of you. I believe Robyn, Peak's owner, should respond back...