1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Best AA flashlights?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by 4ndy, Jan 31, 2017.

1. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I think manufacturers are raising the bar so high that people are starting to rethink what is suitable for outdoor use. In most cases I think 70-130 lumens is fine for average EDC needs.

Flashlight technology is evolving rapidly but the human eye is not; on some lights I have double the lumens doesn't mean double the perceived brightness. I can flip on a 400 lumen setting and then to 800, but while it seems like a huge step up the perceived brightness isn't as much as you'd think.

Not that more lumens is bad in anyway, I think a lot of times it becomes a numbers game and the highest one wins. I doubt in the average situation I'd feel uncomfortable with 200 or so lumens at night, but again, everyone has their preference

twin63 and dmattaponi like this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

The human eye perceives brightness logarithmically. It takes approximately four times the lumens for the eye to perceive twice the brightness.

Why would a flashlight have a level that is 130 and another level that is 180? I have no idea, but many manufacturers space their levels out like that. The 180 level does not provide enough perceivable brightness to make up for the loss in runtime.

dmattaponi and turbo6 like this.
  3. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I really dig my Fenix P2D.
    And I Also have a 2AA body with the same head. The UI is perfect to me for real world use.
    Click on approx. 30 lumens. Bump to maybe 80 or 100. Bump again to 130 or 150. And twist the head tight for turbo maybe 180 or 200 or so. But I'd like to try a 1AA light with same/similar UI. I also carry an original ARC AAA. A bomb proof little twisty on my key blob loaded with a Lithium AAA. For last ditch use.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think you are dead wrong here,this is nothing more than Marketing to me.
    There is just not a lot they can do to make lights more interesting to the masses than make them brighter.
    This same thing happens in every technology space that we can buy and it drives itself more than anything else.

If the number of nutbags like us really meant anything to the manufacturers or if our numbers were a lot more significant then things might be different(Though I doubt it) but since they really just need to sell as many as they can that is what drives the numbers forward,I think.

dmattaponi likes this.
  5. Brandon_4078

Brandon_4078 Loaded Pockets

I don't have any AA flashlights yet (been using AAA), but the ones at the top of my list are the Fenix LD11 and the LD41. I'd like a few 41s as I think they are the perfect vehicle light.

I would like a USA made AA light but I think the MagLites are too bulky/bulbous and SureFire refuses to make a AA clicky (if they did it would be only 1 setting of 600 lumens for 1 minute anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. weklund

weklund Loaded Pockets

7. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Fenix doesn't seem to have anything nearly like my P2D.
    And I didn’t really see a 1AA light.

I don't suppose anyone has a 1AA body they don't need?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

8. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

The LD41 looks like a great light, decent throw and wide beam. I considered one for awhile. May still get one.

At the time I wanted something for pocket friendly so I passed, but for a vehicle or general use it seems great.

I wish Fenix would revisit the 4 AA format and make something like the LD41 but more compact.

Brandon_4078 likes this.
  9. Brandon_4078

Brandon_4078 Loaded Pockets

Agreed, if the whole light could follow the same form as the grip section it would be mighty convenient. However I'm assuming there would be issues regarding reflector design.

10. iMarcoU

iMarcoU Loaded Pockets

Used a fenix e12 for a long time, still working great. But now I've ordered an olight s10r baton 2.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

11. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I recently acquired a Lumintop Mini Prince, that I like a lot. I currently have AA (Enelope Pro.) in it, but will be putting a 14500, when it arrives.

12. CELICA XX

CELICA XX Loaded Pockets

I don't really use AA lights for high performance tasks... but I do enjoy my Streamlight 4AA LED for general power outages.

A gentle flood light is perfect for indoors when power goes out. Especially with a 155 hour runtime.

13. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

AA lights with Eneloop rechargeable batteries have become favorites. Thrunite TN4A for all purpose utility, Thrunite Archer 1A for edc, Thrunite T10 hangs next to bed for nightime bathroom navigation. I like these so much that I just got a Thrunite 2A just to play with. My CR123 flashlights now sit unused. For me Thrunite seems to be the best bang for the buck. My very not into flashlights wife was out in the dark backyard last night telling me how much she loves the TN4A, and And how its the best flashlight she has ever had. I was shocked, as she just doesn't get excited about such things normally :)

For me, my AA lights do what I need a flashlight to do, and they do it well. The batteries are affordable and easy to get.

Sent from my TM101A620M using Tapatalk

#53 dmattaponi, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  14. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

The vast majority of people I know probably don't know what an 18650 cell is or have almost no knowledge of lithium ion batteries. With that said, if I'm ever in a situation where I'm loaning out a light to someone you can bet it's going to be your basic AA type light.

Chances are they will at least have some inclination of what to do if the batteries die, they may even have some spare cells at home or maybe even a Nimh charger.

Eneloops are the way to go, or even lithium primaries but in a pinch a few hours of alkaline use won't hurt. While many of us are at a hobby/enthusiasts level with our lights, many others are not and for that AA will remain ubiquitous because they are almost foolproof.

I went camping with my son's boy scout pack last month and out of about 10 other dads there, not a single one had a light that used anything other than basic AA, D, C type batteries. The technology is there, but it's just not quite mainstream yet.

Don't get me wrong, the technology in modern cells are far superior to AA/AAA etc but on a personal level I'm comfortable using newer cells. However for the average user who aren't familiar with this technology or who aren't that invested in the hobby - AA is sufficient.

15. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This will always happen. Technology is moving so quickly. Make as good a decision as you can based on as much research as you can do prior to your purchase. You can always redeploy the flashlight that you previously purchased, give it away as I have, or sell it.

There are many more choices now than just 5 years ago. Imagine what it was like 30 years ago; or ever 10.

Contain your choices to to those having a high-power LED as a light source.

Good luck!:)

16. AEC2321

AEC2321 Empty Pockets

I personally use a manker e11 love it so far stats are similar to the thrunite like that I can use either AA or 14500 batteries depending on how much power I need or what I have laying around also have to say coast hx5 isn't a bad light for the money either

17. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

The Fenix LD12 2017 edition is a good light and an improvement over the old LD12 with increased lumens and can use 14500.

dml24 likes this.