1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Beretta Bobcat 21A OR .22 Conversion kit for G26

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by antman157, Jun 5, 2009.

1. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have this gun? Was wondering what you thought about it .. I want a cheap .22 to shoot around my farm .. I have a ruger 10/22, but am looking for a pistol..

I cant decide if I want to get a .22 pistol or just get a conversion kit for my Glock 26

Any suggestions?

2. SnWnMe

SnWnMe Loaded Pockets

For the money I say get yourself a Ruger/Browning/S&W rimfire pistol instead.

3. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Just my opinion but I would get the conversion so you can practice with your Glock. If it's your home defense weapon, all the practice you can get with it helps.
    If not, I am a big fan of the ruger .22 pistols. "Bullet Proof" if you will! :lolhammer:

4. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I had a model 21 for a few years, then got rid of it. Never was very reliable, tended to have too many jams. On the other hand I've had a standard model Ruger since I bought it new in the 60's for 39.95, and its been one of the most reliable handguns I've ever had as well as one of the most accurite. I've had a lot of guns come and go in 40 years, but the Ruger always was a must have. My kids learned to shoot with that pistol, and two of my grandkids as well.

Find a good clean used mk1/mk2.

5. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

wrong kind of practice
    when :censored:, you want to be trained in using you glock with 9mm, hollow point; not with .22

that being said, I can't see why anyone with a G26 would get a bobcat. if you want to go plinking, a ruger would probably be a better idea
    if you want to conceal carry, you've already got a G26

6. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Thats all personal opinion .... Maybe I want a bobcat because I dont feel like spending money on 9mm ammo all the time, maybe I want one because I want one .. And I didnt mention anything about having a .22 for conceal carry ..

7. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

I have a Beretta Bobcat in .22LR and here is my take on it:

You cannot use cheap ammo or standard velocity ammo with it. It will jam, and make you very angry!
    Mine is near 100% reliable if I use CCI Mini Mags, or other High Velocity premium .22 ammo. Also works very well with CCI Stingers, but Beretta recommends no Hyper velocity ammo, at least not on a regular basis (I still use Stingers on occasion)
    You need to keep it clean. Too much shooting will cause the shallow rifling on the barrel to lead. After a 150 rounds or so, your bullets will start to keyhole.
    The tip up barrel is very nice feature
    Is fairly accurate for what it is, but remember it's a pocket pistol with virtually no sights.
    It's a neat little gun, but probably not the best choice for plinking around the farm.

I would probably suggest a .22LR pistol with a longer barrel and actual sights if you're looking for a plinker. But if you're just looking for something to toss into your pocket, backpack, tackle box, etc. and knock beer cans off a fence, the Bobcat might work for you. I like mine!

8. jehan60188

you asked for personal opinions by putting this topic up.
    my reply was geared towards the home defense applications of a 9mm (as indicated by my quoting hovaczech).

i inferred conceal carry, because of the size of the bobcat. if you wanted something solely for plinking, you would get something with a longer barrel.

and if you "want one because you want one" then you're not really posting here to get opinions, you're posting here to try to find support/justification for your already formed opinion

anyways, you already know how good a ruger 22 can be, and jackknife has the right idea on the mk1/mk2. ruger and 22 seem to go together like pb&j.

9. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

You are correct to a point. You should practice with whatever load you plan on using with that particular weapon, in order to be better prepared for recoil and muzzle jump for follow up shots. But one can also use the practice of shooting a cheaper round with the same weapon and get familiar with grip, sight picture and point. Big draw for the .22 conversion is the :broke: the money factor :broke: .

When things get bad I would rather be throwing .223, 7.62 or 50BMG or even better a 16" deck gun then 9mm.

Peace through superior firepower is my motto!

Disclaimer: I am not a gun instructor but I play one on TV.

10. jehan60188

+1 on that

:censored: in this situation is someone busting in to my house. and in that case a hit with a 9 mm is better than a miss with a .45 (so if you plan on using a glock with a .22 conversion for home intrusions, then by all means, go for it). my statement was made assuming ":censored: applications" for a G26 (certainly not zombie apocalypse). for different :censored: scenarios, different strategies are appropriate.
    personally, i'm going to run to the canadian wilderness, and live off the land until I die of old age, or bear attack

11. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Right on. I think when things go bad I follow you and hunt some of those delicious canadian bacons they have running around up there. :lolhammer: When I think Bear attack I always think about the movie "Jeramiah Johnson" where the old guy brings the bear into the cabin! :buck2:

Don't get me wrong I like my 9mm's (enough I have three) but I like the bigger stuff as well. I agree with you that you should be well practiced enough to hit your target regardless of the caliber. :boo:

Anybody here have a .22 conversion kit for a 16" deck gun? Range days are killin me! :pirate:

antman157 -All kidding aside have you considered a wheel gun for the .22 instead of the Bobcat? Reliable and fairly cost effective. I have never shot a bobcat but all the smaller guns I've dealt with seem to have "issues" with different types of ammo. Maybe because they were cheap? Beretta has a good name though, so if you get one post on it!

12. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I would go with a Ruger, proven design, and magazines are easy to source.

13. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

I just did a little research on Gunsamerica.com

MKi/II - Seem to be going of at $350 for entry level and up for the slabside or hunter models

Taruas has a couple of .22 revolvers with 4-6" barrels starting at $320

Bobcats are $285 to $325

Sig Mosquito's are at $350

S&W 22A - $350's (I had one and did not like)

Glock conversion kits are about $250's

You be the judge!

14. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Given the two options listed, I'd choose the .22 conversion for plinking. I've handled and shot two different Berettas and both were finicky with ammo and therefore not overly reliable. Well, except for fustrating the hell outta me :lolhammer:
    It was the route I WAS going to go for my G22, until I stumbled upon a Ruger MKII bull barrel for 199.00 on consignment at a local shop.
    Personal suggestion... you already have a Ruger 10/22, so I think you know how well the company is. I say get a .22 pistol from them, keep it in the family as it were for plinking ;)

15. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

I'd get the conversion kit if the main goal is more practice. You're going to be practicing with 80% of your defensive gun, with about the same size/weight, same trigger, etc.

We've started using conversions on our Glocks (21's and 30's), and I've got conversion kits on order for the other centerfire pistols we have on hand.

It also makes more sense (to us) to carry a .22 conversion kit in our BoB's than a dedicated .22 handgun. Less weight, less security considerations, etc.

16. JN01

JN01 Loaded Pockets

I have both. The Glock conversion gives a little more versatility (plinker and understudy for centerfire), and is definitely more accurate and easier to shoot than the Beretta.

The 21A is just fun. The microscopic sights are pretty much useless (unless you have eagle eyes) for precision target shooting, but it's a blast for close range point shooting fun.

I know others have had trouble with theirs, but my 21A has been pretty reliable, even with the copper washed cheapo ammo (aside from the occasional duds, which I also get with my Rugers, S&Ws, etc)

17. Scottiver

Scottiver Loaded Pockets

I would definitely recommend a ruger semi-auto .22 pistol. I have a 22/45 and my friend has a MKII and they are both very accurate pistols. But.....when new require quite a bit of break in time (1 or 2 bricks of ammo) before they will start to feed consistently.
    Also, each pistol will have it's favorite brand and model of ammo, you just need to try different types to figure out which your particular gun likes. I think this is true with all .22 pistols.
    Mine is very reliable now after a considerable amount of breakin time. The reason for this is because of the tight tolerances that these guns were buillt, which is why they are so accurate out of the box.
    There are also a bunch of aftermarket parts for these to make them even more accurate and reliable.

18. twistedrover

twistedrover Empty Pockets

holy cow I'm selling mine --btw it sucks for every thing --it's not accurate, it jams , and it does not relate to any other firearm for practice ( location of controls)

go with the glock kit for sure

19. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

:lolhammer: :lolhammer: :lolhammer:

Yeah guns in general are "Holy Cow" anymore. Ammo too!

Thanks to our current Anti Gun Democrat run political system!