1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Beretta 92A1

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by cutter17, Jun 29, 2011.

1. cutter17

cutter17 Empty Pockets

About 10 years ago I developed macular degeneration in my left eye. It was such that if I closed my right eye, I had a huge black spot in my left eye. As a result I sold the pistols I had, 4 at the time, and that was that.

As time has passed I have either gotten used to my left eye, or/and it has improved some. Since it has I decided it was time to try another pistol. Of the guns I had in the past I was always fondest of the Beretta 92 I had. I also had a Beretta Cougar, but I think that gun has been discontinued.

So I went with the Beretta 92A1, a full sized, and handful, gun. I don't plan on CCW, but if I do, I'll be getting a Sigarms P239. The Beretta is a house gun and a range gun.

There are a few improvements over the standard 92FS, with the most visible being the built in accessory rail. I am going to replace the standard grips with a set of Hogue black/gray G-10 G-Mascus Chain Link grips, as soon as they arrive.

I know that the Beretta 92 has it's detractors, but I'm definately not one. I love the design, the simplicity of take down, and the craftsmanship of this gun.

Anyone elase a 92 fan?

Btw, I just got the gun Monday and have not had the chance to get to the range and try it out, but I'm sure I will not be dissappointed when I do!

2. Rainiers

Rainiers Loaded Pockets

I approve wholeheartedly. Grew up with a 92f riding in my dad's holster, so it's always been my idea of what a semiautomatic is "supposed to be." Too bad the 92 is so wide in the grip... makes it hard for those of us with small hands.

3. cutter17

cutter17 Empty Pockets

It does have a handful of grip, but it fits my hand perfectly. The Hogue grips came in yesterday and have been installed. They are very grippy! Though it had been 10+ years since I had handled a Beretta 92, as soon as I picked this one up it just settled perfectly within my hand and felt oh so comfortable, sorta like it was only yesterday that I had shot one.

4. cutter17

cutter17 Empty Pockets

I was finally able to take this pistol out to the shooting range, and man did it ever meet/exceed my expectations! I shot at 21' and at 50'. Shot 150 rounds of 147 grain ball ammo. The thing is, I have not shot a pistol in 10+ years, but it really didn't seem to affect my ability to shoot some nice groups, at least nice for me! I was using some silhouette targets I got from Sportsman's Guide. At 21' I was able to keep all my shots in the kill zone, with deliberate firing ( slow and steady). Rapid fire spread out the groupings a little bit, with maybe 75% in the kill zone and the others outside, but still on the body. I shot 100 rounds at 21', with 75 rounds being the deliberate style, and 25 rounds as rapid fire. The other 50 rounds went onto the 50' targets, and I was pleased with the results. It was 50/50 hitting the kill zone and outside the kill zone, but staying within the body. I shot 30 from a deliberate stance and the other 20 as rapid fire. I will just say that my rapid fire at 50' needs a little more practice.

I'm sure this is not real impressive to a lot of you, but I was happy with it, being that it had been 10 years since shooting. Practice should tighten things up a bit, and I'm determined to improve!

Btw, there were no jams, stovepipes, or any problems with the performance of the gun. With it being a full sized, and fairly heavy gun, the muzzle rise was very controllable allowing quick followup shots. It was just a pleasure to shoot!!

Crappy pic from my Blackberry-

[​IMG][/IMG]

5. homebrw

homebrw Loaded Pockets

The Beretta 92G Elite (around 98) was my first handgun I purchased when I got my first good job. It is a paper puncher! It will make one large ragged hole at about 20 feet. I own several other handguns now, and I can easily say none are as easy to take down and clean as the 92. I've put 7 or 8k rounds through it at this point, and I've neve had a failure to feed or extract. It's just reliable as all get-out. It's not my favorite ....My dad's tack driving Kimber takes those honors, but it will always hold a special place in my heart.

I put the wraparound Hogue grips on too, and have never taken them off. Very comfy for me and I don't have big paws at all.
    Chris in NC also.