1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Beretta 21A ammo

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Sharpdogs, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I picked up a Beretta 21A this summer. I finally got to take it to the range last weekend. I was using American Eagle .22 ammo. Unfortunately the shells had trouble ejecting. I then tried some CCI ammo which worked very well. What ammo has worked best for you? Have you tried hollow points like CCI Stingers? Thanks.

2. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

I had one 10-15 years ago & don't remember. However, all .22's, especially the little ones are finicky. CCI usually has real good QC, although Stingers tend to be hit or miss due to the outlying bullet weight & velocity. I've found Remington Subsonic to be the most reliable & accurate for cheap stuff. PMC is notoriously sticky. The general trend is that you trade velocity for accuracy. With the little barrel, I don't think it matters much either way, & reliablilty is the number one factor. Get as many different types of ammo you can gather up & give them a try. If you figure out after ten rounds that brand X type Y isn't working, save the rest for the next gun. It might be the magic combo. While not a factor for you now, in match .22's you can even see accuracy differences between lots of the ammo. Just shoot more, that's half the fun of .22's.

3. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

My first one, that I foolishly sold, would eat anything. My current Inox is only consistently reliable with CCI Stingers and Remington Vipers. I carry it loaded with the Vipers most of the time. One thing worth noting is that is has gotten significantly more reliable as it has broken in.

I have had a number of other pocket 22 autos (S&W 2213, S&W 61, Iver Johnson and American Arms TP22s, Walther PP, Beretta 70s and also a 950 in 22 short) and sadly you will most like have to just buy a variety of ammo to find what it likes. In the past I have had good luck with CCI Velocitors & SGBs, Winchester 42gr Silhouette and, surprisingly, the Aguila 60 gr SSS load (but it does tumble in some guns at longer ranges). Hollow points generally don't expand much, if at all, out of these really short barrels, so just find what works reliably and hits point of aim.

4. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

I too have a 21A bobcat and love it. Mine is blue with wood grips. It was very finicky with ammo, so I tested it with everything. What I found was CCI Mini mags and like others said, CCI stingers worked flawlessly. Since it's such a small gun, and doesn't have a lot of tolerance for error, it really likes good ammo, and CCI makes about the best. Per Beretta though, you shouldn't use "hypervelocity" ammo like the CCI Stingers on a regular basis. So after firing 250 rounds of stingers to know that they worked well, I now practice with the mini-mags and carry it with Stingers. In such a small barrel, the velocity difference isn't much, but the stingers are noticeably more snappy. I've probably put 2,000 rounds or more through that little gun and as long as you use the CCI stuff, it'll be a lot of fun.

As far as your question about solid or HP bullets in this gun, I've used both and noticed no difference in performance or reliability. The chances of the bullet expanding from such a short barrel, and in .22 caliber are very slim. I'd probably just stick to the solids.

5. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

just my opinion,

but with a 22, even if it does expand, it really cant be that much. and the chances of expansion are less.

Good solid bullet has a lot better chance of penetration and bouncing around then a hollowpoint.

Thats why on farms they use 22 solids to put down cattle.

6. krinkle

krinkle Empty Pockets

I own one and have had problems with FTEs, but lately it's been a champ, maybe it heard me grumbling about selling it. CCI mini-mags are good in it for me, with occasional FTEs. Recently I bought a bulk pack of Federal High Velocity and I have not has a single FTE with this ammo, your mileage may vary. Mine HATED Remington Thunderbolt ammo, the was recent.

One thing that is important with these, in my opinon, is you need to get at least 500 round through them to break them in. You must also clean them thoroughly. My 2 cents. Mine has been a champ lately, I might go and put a few through it tomorrow night even though it needs a cleaning.

7. hornet

hornet Loaded Pockets

My Beretta likes Winchester wildcats and most Federal but hates all Remington, most Winchester and any off brands I’ve put threw it.

I tried the stingers but they gave me a shotgun pattern at 10 yards the wildcats were the most accurate.

I also agree that they need to be cleaned constantly even during a short range session if you want any reliability. Make sure you clean between ammo types the different lubs really causes a gummy mess as it mixes