1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ben's EDC, toys and random pictures.

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by Ben Rubinstein, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Rubinstein

I'm over tired so pardon me babbling. Was wondering whether if I got a doctor to write me a note saying that due to reduced ability in my hands I need a locking folder (lockers are illegal to carry here) and then if I were to sell all my other knives, I could buy a Mnandi in box elder burl. I should stop dreaming. :)

Have to admit though, was biking in a hail storm at the beginning of the week, driving snow yesterday (wet snow, wasn't sticking otherwise too dangerous to bike), even with my glove liners and gloves, I was freezing and soaking wet. Was thinking to myself, if I'd had to open a traditional, I would have had real trouble with slick and shaking hands. I did come to a conclusion though. My skeletool should be on me rather than in the inner pocket of my bag when I'm in conditions like that. That or see above. I wonder if the Mnandi is a slicer though, with the hollow grind Antithetik? Slicing is my main criteria. Apples specifically. :D

2. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I use folding shovels in larger packs. The US mil spec e-tool is a different breed than a department store folding shovel; you will never break one. They are heavy, though, and not cheap.

As minimalist gear for digging cat holes, I bought a GSI polycarbonate trowel for my hunting gear and a Japanese style soil knife for my wife's BOB. The soil knife is cool as a potential multipurpose tool, but they're pricy, and the sheaths are garbage.

3. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

My wife has this bulb planter thing, which is like mini pick-ax... That may work for your needs.
    It's pretty sturdy with a flat pick on one side, and like a three pronged tine on the other.
    I know I'm probably not making sense....

4. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

Search for deuce of spades.

5. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am shure, the Mnandi would make for a great slicer Congratz on the Baby, cannot confirm 100% though, mine is obviously still like NIB Congratz on the Baby, I actually do not know, if it is even considered one hand opening, as it possible with some practice, but not intended to and way easier with both hands Congratz on the Baby.

:D

6. Ben Rubinstein

Does that whole 'like new in box' stuff thanks mean that you're selling yours? :bounce:

7. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Of course...

...not!

8. Ben Rubinstein

Antithetik. I do like the fact that although not one handed open per se, it's going to be still possible with gloves or wet cold or greasy hands.

9. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

It won't, it takes nearly ideal conditions and practice to work at all...

10. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Thats a little disappointing for a knife of that price, is it a design flaw, or just a little stiff, as it's new ?
    (I tried the newer ZT550, and had real high hopes for it, but just gave up, as the thumb stud opening just would not work. Way too stiff. Tried adjusting it, and it still did;'t work.)

How's momma and Baby doing, Ben ? Getting much sleep ??

Which actually gives me an idea, which I'll thinks about later today, concerning the Sebenza.

11. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

The Mnandi is a Gentleman's Folder. [​IMG]

Gentlemen actually never get their hands dirty, have enough time to open it with two hands or people doing it for them... :giggle:

12. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

I'll have to remember that and call my Buttler.. :)
    How secure are the inlays on those things ? I've looked at the inlaid ones before, but always passed on them.

13. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Could not answer that right now, not at home til the weekend, and never used the knife anyway. :wub:

14. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Now that is cool, but it makes me feel stupid. I see that, and I remember the heavy, aluminum pipe I once found a few years back and sold to a recycling place for a couple of bucks when I should have taken the sawz-all to it and made a dozen or so of these!

15. Ben Rubinstein

I meant that under tough conditions the Mnandi style of two hand open will still be far easier than a small nail nick is to open.

16. Ben Rubinstein

Parents in law arrived today bearing gifts. I'm not allowed to mention the Talisker Dark Storm and Glenlivet Nadurra that the pa in law brought (he's a good man!) due to the new rules so I'll skip straight over to the DD Tarp 3X3 and hacksaw blades I intend to grind down for use in my Skeletool. Also got some mini Ti split rings in the mail today. I'd take pics of this and all the other stuff (lots) coming soon but I'm not sure that I can be bothered any more. Shame, some really nice gear. Rather lost the will to bother recently for some strange reason...

Nomad55, microbe, S_Serpent and 16 others like this.
  17. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

/\ Talisker Dark Storm ? How sharp is it out of the box ? ...................

18. Doraemon

Doraemon Loaded Pockets

It's not too late. Heck, make knucks and sell for 4x the price.

19. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Oooh... that is nifty!
    I just so happened to have some aluminum pipe laing around... :D
    Although what I remember I have, might all have like 1/4" walls... IF I can find a better thickness and a smooth way to cut a couple out, ya want one? :)

20. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

Totally cool Ben A huge congratulation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.