1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ben's EDC, toys and random pictures.

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by Ben Rubinstein, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Rubinstein

This was a short holiday in Scotland, didn't do England at all, avoided all the family and just relaxed :D. Before that two years back for my sisters wedding, before that, my business was in the UK, I flew home for the weekends only for 4 years. Not fun. I hate airports and flying. Hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait, be treated like cattle, wait some more then get delayed. Was the story of my life in those days.

2. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

I agree. After spending most of my adult life shuttling around, I swore I'd never get on another plane after landing here.
    I did get on one to go to Colorado, but in the last 14 years, that's been the extent of my air travel. I hate it lol, and hate is not too strong a word, in this case.
    Love the pics :)

3. Ben Rubinstein

Only a month in the waiting, my BLF flashlight, kindly enabled by kwispelhond! Shown here with its bigger brother, the Thrunite TN12-2014.

The Good: Let's start with cost. $29.95. For a 1200-1400 lumen 18650 flashlight. Inclusive of shipping. That's impressive! 7 modes including moonlight, turbo and with the addition to some flashy blinky things. Oh and everything in between. Mode memory (can be turned on and off), you can switch to 4 or 7 modes and there is a battery check function. My Keeppower 18650 3400 was a (very) tight fit but went in ok in the end. It's smaller and lighter than the Thrunite and a lot more floody. I have the 3D version which is neutral colour light and pleasant, better than the sickly yellow of the Thrunite. No PWM flickering that I can see and I am very sensitive to it! The UI is great. Rear clicky controls both on and off and switching modes, both up and down! Far prefer that to a two button UI like on the Thrunite. No need to shift grip position from switching on to change modes. The half click switch to change modes is very sensitive, I find it incredibly easy to use, like a well designed shutter release on a pro DSLR camera.

The Bad: The pocket clip is supposed to be deep carry but was designed by a moron and catches on your pocket at the half way mark, pushing it down deeper inevitably activates the switch. Sorry but it's just not a good design. The included hand strap is too small for my hands (and a bit flimsy), hence the immediate replacement with a leather strap which to be honest looks much cooler :), The clip came with markings on it and has caused noticeable and multiple markings on the flashlight from its installation. Not clever, they should have shipped it uninstalled and let the customer screw up the paint job so they can't be blamed :p . If it was a more expensive light I would have initiated a return based on the markings.

In any case, very happy with it so far, has gone straight into my coat pocket to replace the Thrunite which has now been relegated to bed side table duty. It doesn't look like such a big difference but in a coat pocket it's significantl. All in all, if the clip had been better designed and not installed by the vision limited, I'd give this light a 10/10 straight out of the box.

4. GiraffeHooves

GiraffeHooves EDC Junkie!!!!!

That is the bad part, that was definitely the part of being pregnant I didn't look forward to and yet did at the same time

5. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

This bit is so true.

6. kwispelhond

kwispelhond Loaded Pockets

Cool light..., well I know. :p

As you know, the clip was my rant too but I have to say that it get better a bit after some use. The real problem is that the top-part is so narrow that some seams on some pockets are too thick but others work ok-ish. To get it over any seam you'd need to pull it out some and that's done a bit easier after you done it some times. I'm still looking for a fitting screw-on clip thou.

My favorite setting: 7-mode without memory so always start on moonlight.

7. kwispelhond

kwispelhond Loaded Pockets

Oh and: pitty that you're TN12 is so yellow, I got the U2 bin 4750K 3C color on my TN12 and it's pretty close to the 5000K 3D on the BLF SE, ever so slightly more yellow but still very neutral white.

Radley, keith1234, ManVsLawn and 17 others like this.
  8. Ben Rubinstein

That isn't my problem with the clip actually, it's the lip about half way down just where the tight bit starts. The lip should reach till the flashlight but it doesn't. My trousers try to go under the lip rather than into the top part of the clip. I might be able to mcgyver a solution to extend the lip down but it's just a bad design. I know why they did it, to stop the lip scratching the flashlight, but then they should have designed the whole thing differently rather than make it unuseable. For everyone else who doesn't have the flashlight and doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about I'll take a photo if you want. If I get a second today, crazy day in work then chest X-ray's on the way home and all the time expecting 'the' phone call to drop every thing and move my tuches to the hospital quick! :D

9. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

At least you know what awaits you. But maybe that's a bad thing in its own way.

10. Ben Rubinstein

Hold on Longbow_06, is that why you kept on calling me 'sir', cause you thought I was ancient? When instead I'm a snotty nosed kid in his mid 30's. :D

11. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

Yes lol.
    Seriously thought you were older from the pics. Someone posted one of a man with a gray beard, and pipe, and referenced you.
    Thought it was you :)

12. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

that was exactly why he was calling you sir, sir

13. Ben Rubinstein

Haven't quite worked out how old you are theirishboxer? I'm thinking later '20's?

Radley, keith1234, ManVsLawn and 18 others like this.
  14. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

ill be 26 in april, you can see someones age in their profile if the birthdate is set correctly and age is set to visible which mine is :D

Radley, keith1234, ManVsLawn and 19 others like this.
  15. Ben Rubinstein

True enough. I should change mine to show my age at 70 and then everyone will call me sir and think I'm so cool for rocking 18650 flashlights and stuff. :D

Radley, keith1234, ManVsLawn and 23 others like this.
  16. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

/\ obviously pretty good at guessing ages :)

17. Ben Rubinstein

Would you guys forgive me if I just do a huge thank you, yet again, to all for your likes? Too many to name...

You guys rock.

Radley, keith1234, ManVsLawn and 24 others like this.
  18. GeneralGlenn

No, I'm offended.

Keep the good stuff coming ya geezer

19. Ben Rubinstein

If it was someone I liked I might have cared but as it's you...

:p

20. GeneralGlenn

No argument there;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.