1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Benchmade VS. Spyderco?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by dabluestuff, Jun 29, 2013.

?

Benchmade or Spyderco

1. Benchmade

38.4%
  2. Spyderco

61.6%
  1. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

Both are excellent but Spyderco gets my vote...

2. Chiles

Chiles Loaded Pockets

Handling both, I'm giving it to Spyderco. I guess it helps that I own several Spydies too so I'm a bit... biased. Upon handling a Griptillan however, I wasn't very impressed. Great knife, don't get me wrong, but I don't know if it's good enough to warrant being double the price.

3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

Both make very good knives, I own both and use both. But as far as bang for your buck, it's Spyderco hands-down.

That being said, my BM 707 cuts better than my Sage 1. I tend to think of Spydercos more as workhorse knives.

4. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

Why choose? I have both and love them both. Keith30 why make us choose? It is like having to choose between a significant other that is a great kisser and one who is a phenomenal cook. That just isn't fair. It borders on criminal.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  5. On Edge

On Edge EDC Junkie!!!

Hoo boy … this is Canon vs. Nikon, Ford vs. Chevy, etc, etc … I own both, have respect for both, but given their prolific use of more modern steels, and their "form follows function" philosophy, I have to go with Sal and company … Spyderco. Also, Benchmade seems to charge a little more $$ for their name ...

6. TechJunkie

TechJunkie Empty Pockets

I love Benchies, hated Spyderco till bought a Manix 2. Good knife, but can't get this dang Hoque EX-01 or Emissary out of my pocket to carry it or either of my ZT's! :eek: Yep, I said it, I carry a Hogue instead of a ZT 0550, or 0560.

7. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

Benchmade is my EDC knife, love my Osborne design 940 and 470. I do have one Spyderco Dragonfly2 Salt which I love for water carry, at the lake, beach etc. but I have not EDC'd a Spyderco yet.

8. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Both here too - I have both, love both, and both have advantages and things that could be better. I can't choose between which kid, pet, OR knife. :(

The BM 555HG is a great work carry, and my DF2 is a great home carry. Another small BM will be ordered soon, and a Techno is on the way.

Last edited by Russ Prechtl, Jul 21, 2013
  9. NuShroom

NuShroom Loaded Pockets

There are only a couple of benchmades designs that I would actually buy, most of which cost way more than I'd like to spend. I find spyderco designs far more successful and the variety of designs in itself are more appealing to me. I have a list a knives to purchase, and its mostly spyderco knives and not a single benchmade. If that matters to anyone! Haha!

10. KnightBanshee

KnightBanshee Loaded Pockets

I've come to find myself a Big Spyderco Fan! I've liked a couple Benchmade kinves but never ended up buying any. I know people love them but I've chosen to spend my money on Spyderco.

11. Executive

Executive Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I'm partial to Benchmade but I do have a few other knives including Spyderco.

Chris

12. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

I've had both (BM Ambush, Rant and Ritter-Mini Grip/Spyder Urban, Delica 4). I really think it comes down to what you expect the knife to do. I honestly think the Ritter Mini-Grip is the perfect EDC knife in terms of feel, use and look... but does it cut any better than my Delica 4 that is half the price? No. Both companies have amazing warranties and customer service. They also have expensive versions of knives for certain job fields. I would absolutely love the BM Adamas folder as a heavy-use do all knife. I would also like to try the Spyder Manix and see how they compare.

Also, I don't think you should vote unless you've handled both. Saying "I've never had a Benchmade/Spyderco BUT" completely invalidates whatever argument you have. I used to think Spyderco was the weirdest design to ever come out... until I needed a knife of a certain size and the Urban fit the bill. I got one cheap and was amazed at how awesome of a knife it was.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you should keep your mind open. Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Last edited by greymethod, Jul 21, 2013
    powerring likes this.
  13. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

How about both? A benchmade with a spydie hole :)
    [​IMG]

Russ Prechtl and powerring like this.
  14. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Ummm...then you haven't read this.

15. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

Personally, I had seen and used knives growing up with that hole type opener long before Id ever heard of spyderco. I dont think its a big deal for benchmade to use It, im sure most agree. But, maybe Im wrong. I use thumb studs!

I like benchmade, I think their locking system is perfect, and have yet to see any I like more.

16. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Eh...::shrug:: from the consumer side, I like my knife and it works well. It complements the seb21 I got from you. In the end, that's all that matters.

17. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

18. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I voted Spyderco. Although I would cheat on Sal with a BM 940 Osbourne. Green with purple? Why you got to tease like that? Dang fine knife.

19. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

add me to this camp.

20. rm3482

rm3482 Loaded Pockets

After carrying my BM Adamas every day nothing else feels as solid! Don't know if I would carry another knife or not!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta