1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Benchmade Volli Review - The Barrage on NITROUS!

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by FortySix&2, Mar 8, 2013.

1. FortySix&2

FortySix&2 Banned

[​IMG]

Specifications:
    Overall Length: 7.78"
    Blade Length: 3.26"
    Blade Thickness: 0.10"
    Blade Material: S30V Stainless Steel
    Blade Hardness: 58-60 HRC
    Blade Style: Drop-Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
    Handle Material: G10 w/ stainless steel liners
    Closed Length: 4.42"
    Handle Thickness: 0.56"
    Clip: Split-Arrow; Reversible
    Lock Mechanism: AXIS-ASSIST Lock
    Weight: 4.28 oz.
    Made in USA

Today I am reviewing the new Benchmade Volli. The Volle is a new line for 2013 that uses Benchmades trademark Axis-assist for quick one handed operations. I've been using this knife for the last few days and I must say, the Volli reminds me of a more refined barrage and makes for an excellent EDC knife choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The business end of the Volli is constructed out of S30V stainless steel. S30V is a little tougher than 154CM which you'd find on the barrages. It will also hold an edge slightly longer than 154CM as well. The only downside to S30V I can think off the top of my head is it's a little harder to service. But the trade off is well worth it in my opinion.

Out of the box this knife was and still is razor sharp! This is probably the sharpest Benchmade knife I've got to date. The thin profile of the blade makes it a excellent slicer. While carrying this knife I've used it extensively to break down thick shipping cardboard boxes, ropes and a bunch of other misc items. I came across about 8ft of 1.5" tow rope in the back of the garage. Without much effort it sliced right through it. I am pretty confident this knife would execute just about every EDC cutting task.

Opening and closing the Volli is made easy with the Axis assist system. Whether your left or right handed makes no difference, with a little press on the thumb stud the blade fly's open very fast and smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The handle on the Benchmade Volli is constructed using black contoured G10 handles. The scales on this knife aren't gritty textured like the Benchmade 300SN or the 915 Triage. Rather a smooth elegant texture that almost feels like a sleek smooth aluminum or titanium scale in my opinion. The ergonomics are great and I am able to get a firm purchase on the handle with absolutely no problems.

[​IMG]

Here is the Benchmade Volli (left) and the Benchmade 585 (right). At first glance you see the 585 is thicker in the handle because of the full stainless liners. But what you don't see is, the Volli has full stainless liners that are built into the G10 scales. And in typical Benchmade fashion, there milled out for weight savings. And you can see the Volli and the Barrage share similar checkered backspacers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pocket clip is Benchmades standard split-arrow design. While it's not my favorite pocket clip Benchmade uses. They did manage to place it rather high on the handle so it could conceal most of the knife in the pocket as you see above.

More Pictures:
    - Volli next to BM585bk 1
    - Volli next to BM585bk 2
    - Side-by-Side 1 (585, Volli, 300sn, 530)
    - Side-by-Side 2 (585, Volli, 300sn, 530)
    - In Hand Close
    - In Hand Open

My final conclusion on the Benchmade Volli: For the price you can't go wrong. The Benchmade volli is spring assisted, uses top shelf materials like S30V, G10 scales, and has elegant ergonomics. And best of all, it's made in the USA and backed by Benchmades awesome Lifetime warranty!

Be sure to check out my WEBSITE for other cool gear reviews.

Ryan Lane likes this.
  2. 42

42 Loaded Pockets

I also just purchased a Volli and am loving it! It's thinner and lighter than I expected. The sculpted G10 handle feels very nice in the hand and while not as grippy as standard G10 checkering it still provides a good grip.

I've heard it compared to the Barrage and while I can see certain similarities, the Volli is thinner and more refined. Unlike the Barrage, which has glass reinforced polymer scales (like the Grips) and while sturdy, feels hollow and plasticky, the Volli's G10 scales have inset steel liners which give the knife a more solid feel. In fact, even though the Volli is smaller than the Barrage 580, it weighs slightly more.

The S30V blade is fairly thin at 0.1" and very sharp out of the box. It isn't what I'd call a heavy duty blade but more of a medium duty type and is a great slicer. It has more of a pronounced belly than the Barrage and I can't wait to put it on my Edge Pro and put a serious edge on it!

I have a feeling that this knife will become one of the more commonly found items in my pocket.

Mark

3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Great looking knife. However, I'm going to find it difficult to go back to a thin blade like that after purchasing and EDC'ing the ZT 0350. Do other ZT owners find that to be true? Other folders seem wimpy in comparison now.

4. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I'm sooooo glad to see more and more knives with contoured scales. For any quality knifemaker, there's no excuse for just slapping two slabs of G10 onto the liners these days.

One thing you didn't mention is the secondary lock on the spine. My Barrage 581 has it, and I hope they put it on more Axis models. I'm not that worried about the knife opening accidentally, but I do like that it also locks the blade open as well, turning it into the closest thing to a fixed blade. Not that the Axis lock isn't already quite secure, but if you really, really need to be sure...

I bounce back and forth between various knives all the time, especially three these days: Barrage 581, ZT0560 and BM Large Bone Collector. While the last two are tanks, when I'm packing the Barrage I never ever feel I need more knife.

FWIW the original all-G10 Barrages never did much for me. The 581 with the aluminum bolster feels like a whole 'nuther animal. I like the higher blade grind, and it's kinda hard to explain, but that bolster just makes the whole thing feel more solid.

5. 42

42 Loaded Pockets

AMEN!!! I'm very happy to see this trend. Personally I'm getting a little sick of looking at the Benchmade site and seeing a blue or black class knife pop up in the gold class with a nice set of scales and an astronomical price tag.

6. 42

42 Loaded Pockets

I don't. It depends on the day, sometimes I like having the ZT350 with me, other times I'll have the knife that started me down the road of destruction, my yellow Mini-Grip. Recently a Kershaw OD-1 has had more pocket time than most others. Now the Volli will. Gotta rotate them, can't play favorites or jealousy will erupt. :)

I've got a 45-70 but I still love my .22 rimfires!

Mark

7. FortySix&2

FortySix&2 Banned

I always EDC my BM 530 which has a very thin blade. But that's my back up blade when it's not necessary to use my heavy duty tactical edc blade.

8. LaneAlytic

LaneAlytic Loaded Pockets

Great review! I ordered one and am now patiently waiting for it to ship along with an endura ffg. How does the blade center up on the volli? I've got a couple mini grips and they both are off center. Hoping that BM has put thought into this issue with their newest models.

9. FortySix&2

FortySix&2 Banned

Blade is pretty centered. Have you tried tweaking with the pivot on your griptilians?

10. LaneAlytic

LaneAlytic Loaded Pockets

Yea. Doesn't really fix it though. The blade isn't hitting the scale or anything though.

Have any mods in mind? I'm thinking it would be great to get a colored backspacer on there

11. FortySix&2

FortySix&2 Banned

A different color backspacer would be cool or even stand offs.

12. remdds

remdds Loaded Pockets

Great review. That one is on my list.

13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Scott, I've added your site to my Blogroll on blog. Just an fyi.

14. FortySix&2

FortySix&2 Banned

Oh cool. Thanks! I like the whole blogroll concept. Is that a wordpress thing only? I think I can customize it into blogspot. I'm gonna look into that tonight after I finish this next knife review.

15. flash900

flash900 Loaded Pockets

Love the looks, especially the sculpted scales and thinner blade.

I just don't need assisted opening and wish it came without it.