1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Benchmade on Sharpmaker question

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Demolition Dan, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Demolition Dan

Demolition Dan Loaded Pockets

Benchmade knives should be sharpened on a 30 degree angle.....???

2. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

That's just Benchmade's suggestion. There isn't anything magical about it. The first time on the SharpMaker will take more time, but then you'll be good to go. I've done this with every BM that I have carried over the years.

3. Demolition Dan

Demolition Dan Loaded Pockets

4. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

An old trick for finding the angle of the edge no matter what type of sharpener you use is to mark the edge with a Sharpie or other marker. Lightly stroke the blade on the hone and observe where and how much of the ink is removed. If the ink only comes off of the very tip of the edge then the angle is too high. If the ink is removed further up the edge but not on the very tip of the edge then the angle is too low. Ideally the ink should be removed along the entire width of the edge. Re-mark the blade, adjust the angle accordingly, and then try again until it comes out right. Nice thing is that the ink will not harm the edge nor will it clog the hone. While you can hone a new angle onto the blade it is less work to search out the correct (that is to say, the original) angle.

5. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

My sharpmaker has slots for 40 and 30 degrees...

6. FlaRider

FlaRider Loaded Pockets

I looked at the Sharpmaker when I was at the Shot Show Spyderco booth. I was asking the company rep about it and he took one out and sharpened my spyderco delica with it. About 6 or 7 strokes and the knife was as sharp as it had ever been. I was impressed by the sharpening system. I had been using a Lansky and the Sharpmaker seemed like it did a better job.

7. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

One thing to remember when looking at different systems is that they might use different methods of listing the sharpening angle. While some will list angles of say, 20 or 25 degrees, others will compound the angles and list them as 40 or 50 degrees. In other words, some systems measure only the angle of one side of the edge and others measure it as the angle of both sides of the edge added together. It might confuse the uninitiated.