1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

benchmade griptilian starting to rattle!!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by bjjprepared, Feb 23, 2009.

1. bjjprepared

bjjprepared Loaded Pockets

my griptilian recently started rattling from the axis lock. has this happened to anyone? can i fix it?

2. peacefuljeffrey

What specifically do you mean "started rattling from the axis lock"? Do you mean that something inside the area of the lock has begun to rattle?

It's not extremely difficult to take apart a Griptilian nor is it extremely easy to put one back together--but it is doable.

I recommend one of the following:
    - Check to see if the knife has any loose or missing screws. Tighten any loose ones; replace any missing ones.
    - Send the knife back to Benchmade with a description of the problem and ask that they fix it.
    - Take the knife apart and see if anything is loose or broken (the Omega springs can and do break). If breakage or loose parts are found, replace or tighten, respectively.

3. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha bjjprepared,

Ooh...my Mini has never rattled, and I admit to abusing that one... :-X

I am sure BM can check it out...I have never heard of a rattling Axis Lock...interesting...does it rattle opened? Closed?

God bless! :angel:

PS: peacefuljeffrey is TOO fast at posting
    . :shocked:

4. bjjprepared

bjjprepared Loaded Pockets

sorry i didnt explain.. whats rattling is the little silver crossbar on the axis lock. not the actual locking bar, but the bar that the blade comes to rest on(i dont really know what its called). it only rattles when closed. i can see where the handles have come apart a little and see the little silver thing rattling.

5. peacefuljeffrey

If you have the Torx bits to do it, you might consider tightening them down, if as you say the handle scales "have come apart a little."

I happen to be carrying my own Mini Griptilian (well, one of several) tonight, and I just checked it and found that I can get a minor clicking if I shake the knife from side to side (across the plane of the blade/handles, but only when the knife is closed. When opened, the blade tang puts pressure via friction on that piston and keeps it from shaking back and forth.

On my knife, the left-right motion of the piston when shaken appears to be a normal thing, not a function of anything being loose nor broken. I suspect this is part of the design, since the left and right nubs of the piston must have clearance outside the steel liners through which they protrude. That is, the width of the piston is slightly more than the width between the liners at their outermost measurement, allowing movement of the piston forward and backward.

6. pmeowned

pmeowned Empty Pockets

on my full size griptilian that peice is mush bigger and i can see that it is almost a metal sleeve over the bar becuase a conratate the outside. this might be moving

7. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

This has come up a few times (I had this on one mini grip) and this was the answer I got:

So around the stop pin is a sleeve that rotates. On some it is a bit more loose than other and clicks if shaken while closed. Some folks suggest putting a little superglue in one end of the sleeve. On the one I had, I simply took a pair of fine needle nose pliers and gently squeezed the sleeve and that stopped it, too. I hear maybe 20% to 30% of griptilians see this though it isn't necessarily a defect.

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

A question on the axis lock - has anyone ever had an issue with disengaging the lock accidentally?

And how difficult is it to open and close the blade while wearing gloves?

-Trevor

9. Herbie

Herbie Empty Pockets

Never had the lock on my mini-RSK mk1 (griptilian w/different blade profile) open accidentally, even with significant abuse. Recently I noticed I don't seem to use the axis lock like other people though. I use the thumb stud for a regular one hand opening and only use the axis lock buttons to release. Other people pull the axis lock to take pressure off the closed blade then "flip" the blade open. Not sure if that makes a difference in the wear on the mechanism, but I suspect it does not.

Being in SoCal I don't wear gloves often, but my normal "grip" for releasing the lock is to palm the scales and pull the lock with both thumb and middle finger, (then nudge the blade slightly closed with the index) which feels like it would be very doable even with gloves on since you're putting pressure on both sides.

10. wenestvedt

wenestvedt Loaded Pockets

No, I have one of these knives, and it rattles, too. It looks like there's play from the screws loosening, as I can get the blade to "sway" a little from side to side.

I have the screwdrivers to fix it, of course, but I think I will let the benchmade folks give it a once-over. :7)

- Will

11. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

The most common source of rattling in the Axis knives is the stop pin. In many models, these pins are sandwiched in the scales and not actually screwed in place. The Griptilian is of this type of construction I think. It won't rattle with the blade open right? If so, it's probably the stop pin that's a bit loose. You might try adjusting the pivot tension tighter a bit. However, a rattling stop pin isn't really an issue as far as safe reliable function of the knife. I've had some axis locks stop pins rattle and others not. They've all been good.