1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Benchmade customer service let down

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Trigger's broom, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Trigger's broom

Trigger's broom Loaded Pockets

I have a minor gripe with my mini grip, nothing too terrible, just the clip sits a little proud of the handle. It was enough to bug me especially for the price they cost here in the U.K.

It's now been two months & four emails to Benchmade customer service & i'm still awaiting a reply of some kind. Obviously i have been polite in all of my emails, i mentioned the issue & have offered to pay for a replacement clip even though I don't believe I should, & also stated i'd pay postage costs to the U.K.

So far i've read mainly positive things regards their customer service, yet i'm having no luck at all. Anyone else had similar problems? If so what did you do to get it sorted out? Failing that are there any aftermarket clips available?

Thanks

Edit, other than that i enjoy using my mini grip, just wanted to clarify i'm not here to slate a company, just sharing my experience.

2. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

My experience was different. When I asked them if i could buy a deep carry clip, they sent me one for free. That two times (for two different knives) already. They've been very nice and super helpful. Did you use their webform?

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

Trigger's broom likes this.
  3. Trigger's broom

Trigger's broom Loaded Pockets

Hi, yes i used their webform & gave all of the details required. Not sure what else i can do, as i said due to living in the U.K. I offered to pay for a replacement & postage.

Edit, i just noticed that you're also in Europe. I had kind of written it off as their customer service was more domestic than international. Puzzled.

4. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

I have emails Benchmade a few times with emails returned within hours, last time I asked for a deep carry pocket clip for my 940 and received one free of charge within three days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Just wanted to say. Plus your English is for sure better than mine. That's really weird, because they have not only been helpful but really nice.

6. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I have to chime in and agree with the majority here.
    When I bought my 940-2 I had read that they would offer deep carry clips for free if I contacted them. So I did. Just as you, I expected this to be more of a domestic offering, so I politely offered to pay for the clip and international shipping. I also asked if they could send one extra, as I was already planning on buying a mini grip and didn't want to pay more shipping than really necessary.
    I got my response within few hours.
    Both clips were instantly sent free of any charge to Norway.
    Not only that, but their support is very personal. I was offered to contact this person directly and bypass the web-form if there ever was anything else they could assist me with.
    I hope your issues are just some misunderstanding somewhere in the communication, and that it is sorted out. Based on my limited communication with Benchmade I have to give their customer service my highest rating.

7. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

So what exactly is the issue with your knife?

The clip is a little too loose, and will not 'clamp' tightly enough to keep it from slipping?

If so, that is a very easy fix, and one that you don't need Benchmade to correct for you. Just remove the clip from the knife, and just very slightly increase the bend at the junction right next to the clip screws.

Or if you are not comfortable doing that yourself, shoot me a PM with your address and I will mail you a different (not necessarily new though, might be slightly used...) clip that will be properly tight to hold the knife.

karlito and Journo like this.
  8. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

just to clarify my offer @Trigger's broom; the terms are that there are no terms: payment of any type is not requested nor would an offer for payment would be accepted...

PM me an address and I will mail you a clip that will fit more tightly. :)

9. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

I ordered a deep carry clip for my mini grip in the beginning of June and received the clip just last week (Ottawa Canada). However, after putting on the deep carry clip I kind of prefer the regular clip. Seems to fit my hand better but I'll leave the new one on for awhile to see if I get used to it. BTW, BM sent me two clips with screws, so if/when I get another BM, I'll have a deep carry clip already.

Adahn likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Adding to the consensus. I've contacted Benchmade for clips and they've always been very good about just dropping them in the mail to me. No charge.

FWIW, Kershaw also do this.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

colin.p likes this.
  11. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm wondering why BM don't just put these spare clips in the box with every brand new knife, that would save them a fortune in postage by the sound of it. Lol

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Weird. ZT which is the same company as Kershaw, just tells you to not use deep carry on their knifes, because you'd destroy the balance and might loose them (sic!).

13. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

I have never heard that, not that I follow KAI at all.

Interesting though.

14. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Happened to me, when I asked them to buy a deep carry clip for the 0450. Not just "we don't offer blah blah" like Spyderco does (and which I'm totally fine with).

So aftermarket it was. But now my knife is not balanced and I am afraid to loose it Maybe it even voids my warranty when they find out I have one on it. That said, I sold all my ZTs, except the 0450 cuz it was a gift from wifey.

Lightnig and Adahn like this.
  15. soundlessnut

soundlessnut Loaded Pockets

I thought I'd give this a go. I emailed benchmade to see if I could get one from a New Zealand distributor, they replied within a few hours, saying that their distributors don't tend to have them so they'll just post one out to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Yeah but he's "the Mac". :D

17. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Really IMO a nfg shouldn't be obliged to offer a different accessory to satisfy someone as a customer on a manufactured (Read:not custom) product. I mean it's great if they do/will, but I don't think it should be held against them if they don't. Think of how many of your manufactured household goods or even vehicle companies would do that for you.

Most companies would assume if you didn't return it right after you received it then too bad. I have heard Benchmade obliges some though but never experienced it myself.

There are plenty of aftermarket options out there on ebat and even custom knife accessory vendors. Europe has a lot of said vendors like that if you do so searching. You might even find one you like better.

Btw, I'm not trying to be a jerk above I'm just making some points in general.

18. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

That was not my point. Spyderco doesn't do it and that's fine. Point being, that the :censored: around it ("yOuR kNiFe WiLl Be oUt Of bAlAnCe AnD yOu WiLl LoOsE It") was unnecessary.

19. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I wasn't talking about you specifically, more generally on the subject.

What do you mean not balanced?

20. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

You might wanna ask ZT (so Kai) about it, I was only quoting their statement. Too bad I deleted the email a good while ago.