1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Benchmade Announcement Regarding Red Class Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by RockyNomad, Jan 6, 2010.

1. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

I found the following posted on another forum. Anyone have any thoughts/concerns?

From Team Benchmade:

As we celebrate our 20th Anniversary in Oregon, we’re more committed than ever to designing and manufacturing the world’s best sports cutlery and edged tools. We continually strive to provide high quality products that will deliver superior performance for our customers. It is with this commitment to quality in mind that we are proud to announce beginning in January 2010, all Benchmade branded products will be made in the USA at our factory in Oregon City, Oregon. These products will continue to be offered in our Blue, Black and Gold Classes. We will no longer offer products in our Red Class, although we expect inventory to exist in the marketplace for some time. Also, several of the more popular models from the Red Class will find their way, in one form or another, into our H&K and H-D knife lines. The USA Made models that were in Red Class will now be Blue class models (specifically, the Aphid® and the Rant®).

2. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Well, the fact that they're bringing it back to the USA is awesome.
    I hope their price point's don't sky-rocket because of it.

They may not be THE BEST company but it's very nice to see the tide that is Origin of Manufacture starting to ebb toward domestic. Good news for the Nations future.

3. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Thoughts? Good. Concerns? No.

4. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

I'm all for American made. I'm just concerned that they may become priced out of my budget and I really like Benchmade.

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

I'm not normally a huge Benchmade fan, but this move has definitely increased my willingness to look closer at the company. I've never heard of a company starting to manufacture overseas, and then decide to bring everything back in house.

Well done Benchmade!!!!!!

:roof: :roof: :roof: :roof: :roof:

6. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Of course they will.

7. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Oh come on, you really think they do that out of goodness of their heart? Translation, we are not making money on the red class as a whole so we canned it, and merged the few popular models into other brands so they can still be made oversea and we can claim all BM are made in u.s. Spin doctors at work again.

8. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Its a shame as they had some really nice knives in the red class and manufacturing them overseas kept prices down. The Benchmade Nagara comes to mind as a great knife in fit and finish, manufactured overseas, and a low price for a titanium scaled knife. Anyone who thinks this is good for Americans because it is "bringing jobs home" is kidding themselves. This is not creating jobs. They are cancelling the red class altogether. The H&K and Harley Davidson branded Benchmade knives will still be produced overseas. No new jobs will be created from this product line change.

9. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

:iagree: My old Vex was a great first knife...

10. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

Excellent point. But i'm less excited about possible job opportunities as I am that it's becoming feasible, even smart, to manufacture things here in America.
    There are lots of reasons to not like BM.
    Either way, stopping or reducing the outward flow of American dollars is a step in the right direction.
    Now all we need to do is change the tax rate on foreign vehicles regardless of where they were assembled.

11. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Just thinking out loud. Sort of funny, really.

These issues about knives being made in other countries (it's usually about China), and US dollars flowing out of the country, never seem to come around full circle.

Regarding China making knives, hey, they were in the blade making business waaaayyy before the US was even around, so I figure they've got to have some edge (pun intended).

US Dollars going out? How about all the Chinese currency coming in, by way of loans? We keep hemorrhaging cash, and then going to China to borrow more money. (We've borrowed even more from Japan, I believe.)

China is actually helping to keep us afloat. In a way, that's not such good thing. We're addicted to cash, and they're the pusher supplying our fix, so to speak.

The thing that really bugs me is when we, as a country, make them out to be the bad guy, then we turn around and ask them for more money, and we take that money. Go figure.

:shrug:

12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

The main issue with cash flow is that America has loaned out a ton of money to nearly every country in the world. Finland is the only one that paid us back in full. All the other nations have defaulted. Perhaps if those running this nation went after the dead-beats, we wouldn't need to borrow money from the 21st century version of Oceania.

13. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, we're not just addicted to money. We're also hooked on power, so we use money to help achieve power, even if it means loaning out money (we don't have), to countries we know will probably never pay it back.

While we do get compensated in other ways (votes, favors, consideration, influence, military bases, etc...), it's putting one heck of a dent in our pocketbook.

I guess that's the price we pay for wanting to be a Superpower.

14. sanddragger28

sanddragger28 Empty Pockets

What the announcement should had said is that of 2010 we are proud to announce that the red box line will be made in house in the USA.

15. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

Why? Why self-compete? Oh, it might be nice to have a budget knife or two from Benchmade that is US made, but past that, what would be the purpose of carrying on an entire budget line in the states?

16. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I'm not really a Benchmade fan but I applaud their efforts to keep production in house and stateside.

17. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

It's a company's responsibility to stay vital by making money. There is nothing wrong with being profitable, in fact there is a lot right with it. If this is how they do it, I'm all for it. Good job, Benchmade! I wish more U.S. companies would follow suit.

18. Buckles

Buckles Loaded Pockets

I was just talking to my dad the other day about how i hated that some of their knives where made in china. You can definitely see the lacking quality in their cheaper knives. I bought a Pika II a while back and was not impressed.

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I hope the Benchmite II is one of the Red Class knives that Benchmade will keep in their line-up.

I got mine a few days ago, and it is very nice. Looks like a classy Gentleman's folder.

Also, since it locks in both the open and closed positions, I can carry it legally in NYC without having to worry about it being classified as an illegal gravity knife under the retarded and vague Sullivan Act.