1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Benchmade 940 - Worth saving up for?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by The_Wolf, Dec 11, 2018.

1. The_Wolf

The_Wolf Empty Pockets

I really, really love the look and design of the 940 in the basic green scales and stainless blade. I saw it for the first time almost 2 years ago and have never been able to get away from it. If I save up for a year or so, I can probably get one.

I've had pocket knives over the years, but the ones I have are either just terrible or I refrain from carrying them for sentimental reasons (last knife my grandfather gave me, etc).

I know there are technically better knives available, some even for a little cheaper. I just can't seem to find anything that I like more, in any price range. If you put a 940 and a Norseman in front of me... I think I'd still pick the 940, even though the Norseman is the clearly better knife. It's just the knife that I see myself using the rest of my life.

My question is: Those of you that have owned 940s, are they at least close to being worth the money? Am I way over-idealizing it, or is it truly a good knife?

2. xrayit

xrayit Loaded Pockets

I have carried a Benchmade 940 on and off for a couple years. Nice lightweight knife that disappears in your pocket. I was drawn to the blade shape when I pitched mine. I really like Benchmade knives and think the axis lock is just about perfect for a edc folder. Never put the 940 in my pocket and said I should have bought some other knife one of my top edc folders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swedishelite22 likes this.
  3. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

I say go for it. Of course I am a BM fanboy but I do like the 940. I don't have the regular 940 (yet) but do have a -2 version, as well as the 943. However, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Some (I know it sounds impossible but...) actually hate it?

Oh, and I don't agree that the Norseman is that much better of a knife. I find it ugly as sin and the axis-lock allows for pretty smooth action itself. Not to mention, in 20 years time will Grimsmo still be around? (Of course that assumes that BM will be as well?)

Buckeye Jake likes this.
  4. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

The 940-1 CF was the first knife I purchased to use for EDC and backpacking trips and I couldn't be happier with it. Lightweight, sharp out of the box and the S90V holds an edge for a long time. You won't be disappointed.

[​IMG]

5. The_Wolf

The_Wolf Empty Pockets

Concerning the Norseman - I was talking more in terms of craftsmanship and build quality. Personally, I would hate the idea of sharpening one, and the 940 is definitely more practical, but I do like the look of it.

It blows my mind how anyone could dislike the 940, especially in the green. It may be corny, but I've always thought of it like a 'Gentleman Forester's Knife'. Something about it reminds me of my grandfather.

How is the 943 treating you? Any reason you chose that over the regular one?

6. The_Wolf

The_Wolf Empty Pockets

Man, there are some knives that just know how to strike a pose. That's one of them.

That Movie Guy likes this.
  7. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

It's a long story, but I am not a fan of aluminum (or any metal) scales and I WAS of the mind that all knife handles could be any color as long as they were black. So when the 940-2 came out, it was everything I liked about a knife. I also wasn't too fussy about the green 940 scales, but the 943 always drew me towards it.

After buying several other brands, over the past couple of years, and pushing aside the 943, I broke down a month ago and got it. I actually like the aluminum scales on it and it is a joy to use. I really like the clip point blade and find it a nice change from the reverse tanto of the 940.

Interestingly, the g10 scales on the -2 make the handle an eighth of an inch thicker than the aluminum handle. However, now that I have the 943 I have a newfound appreciation of BM's "chalky" feel and am warming up to the regular 940. The good news that there are a lot of different variants of the 940 to choose from.

8. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Just bought one . First thing I edc a small sebenza. Well my grandson got a 940 and after handling his, I bought plain green one .Fit , finish on both were top self period. None of those so called issues. Perfect grind on the blade . It was centered. And :censored: sharp . After a week of opening and closing its smooth . A very easy opening knife for sure .
    Now is it worth the shekels? Yea , hell yes . It's thin, narrow and light , only down side is no lanyard hole . .
    The last week I have been trying it on ash . That a fairly hard wood for sure . And the handle and clip is easy on the hands. And it's decent size . Basically I am please to death with mine .
    There is a reason this knife has been around for a while . Just like a Reeves they are worth having .

Jake

The_Wolf likes this.
  9. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Definitely worth it.
    [​IMG]

Buckeye Jake and FilthyJ24 like this.
  10. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

I had one for a while-It’s a nice knife and carries very well however a couple of issues-
    The height of the blade and thick stock makes for a poor slicer- even with a tall bevel (17 degrees) it’s still more like a wedge when cutting say an apple.
    I personally am quite active- at times the axis lock dosnt feel particularly secure when there’s a lot of bouncing around.

11. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I've never felt unsafe with the axis lock but you are quite correct - not a super slicer but always totally dependable to get a job done. My PM2 is probably a better slicer.

12. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

The 940 has some of the qualities I've always appreciated in Benchmade.
    The form factor, open and closed, is long and skinny. This takes up very little room in the pocket.
    It's got a great blade to handle ratio.
    Very smooth opening and closing.
    Perfectly placed thumb studs.
    Light weight, yet sturdy and strong.

I bought my first 940 in the fall of 2000. Still a great knife. I carry my 941D2CF frequently.

13. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

They all rock! Especially, the 'carbon-fiber' edition. Nice collection, H. O. !

14. The_Wolf

The_Wolf Empty Pockets

I don't even have my first one yet and it's already a goal of mine to have a collection like yours one day. Gorgeous, and good for ya man.