1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Benchmade 940 opinion?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by certifiednut, Jun 8, 2013.

?

color of blade?

1. black

7.7%
  2. satin

92.3%
  1. certifiednut

certifiednut Loaded Pockets

I bought a 940s a few months ago and I am going to be sending it in to get a plain edge blade put in. I have started to carry the knife less than I thought I would because i don't like the serrations. I am having trouble deciding between the black or satin blade. Tell me what you think.

how it looks now.
    [​IMG]

hawkeye180 likes this.
  2. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Satin please. The blacks wears and doesn't look good after awhile.:)

aphid, Slipjoint and Matt130 like this.
  3. hawkeye180

hawkeye180 Loaded Pockets

I have a satin 940 Osborne and I really like.

That said I love black blades on knives because they wear and I think it looks great when a knife gets character. But the 940 Osborne is not a normal pocketknife. I use mine on an everyday basis, but at least in my opinion it is more of a gentleman's knife. It is certainly strong enough to do some serious work but it is light, and thin. The blade is not hefty in anyway.

For this knife go with a satin blade rather than black. The satin matches the green anodized scales and the purple backspacer better than black does.

Consequently when a 940 Osborne gets worn down and the green chips and wears off it looks great and the black would look cool like that as well.

Last edited by hawkeye180, Jun 8, 2013
  4. Matt130
    • In Omnia Paratus

Matt130 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the satin blade. I have a 940 with a black blade and I am afraid to use it. Personally the black blade with the purple Ti back spacer is gorgeous (one of the better looking production knives), much better looking than the satin blade. The black coating will wear and scratch over just a short period of time. Benchmade offers blade replacement (which you already know :p), so after it gets too beat up you can always replace it.

Still, since your 940 is a user I would go with the satin finish. I love my black coated 940, but as soon as it gets back from Benchmade I am going to sell it. The 940 is such a great knife and I only used my 940BK a couple of times, but since I don't use it it has to go. Someone is going to get a hell of a knife, almost new, at a hell of a deal too.

Anyways, either choice you make will be fine, as long as you get rid of those serrations. I love Benchmade, but the serrations they do are terrible.

:)

5. Bigdaddyrooster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bigdaddyrooster Loaded Pockets

I have a satin one and this know had turned in to one of my favorites out of about two hundred.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Matt130 likes this.
  6. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Satin. The black coat will eventually start wearing off anyway

7. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

First reply nails it.

jeepsrjason likes this.
  8. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I always though benchmade had good serrations. Granted, I hate serrations on my knives, but the BM ones seem to be decent for what they are.

9. certifiednut

looks like satin it is. I was leaning that way, but i have seen some black ones that have worn nicely. I do love the way the satin blade looks though. As for the serrations go, the serrations are small, so they cut well (as far as serrations go) but they are so small they seem like they would be hard to sharpen. I also carry a stainless dragonfly in full serrated in my watch pocket on occasion so they aren't needed.

10. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Actually, Benchmades serrations are rounded at the bottom which makes them easier to sharpen. The more aggressively toothed serrations like those on Spydercos are harder to sharpen in my experience. The worst ones are the tiny micro-serrations, like those Cold Steel uses. Those are a real pain in the butt to sharpen.

11. Coupe_gxp

Coupe_gxp Uber Prepared

certifiednut likes this.
  12. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Satin. For all the above reasons... and because it isn't THAT type of knife. Flippin sweet knife though... one of my all time faves.

13. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

I would switch it for a 943 satin blade. :3

14. certifiednut

i like the 943 blade, but i prefer the look of the reverse tanto.

jacobwilson99 likes this.