1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bellroy Wallets... The verdict

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by Safety1st, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

Guys -

Anyone with experience of bellroy wallets ?

Pros and cons

I like the idea of the "very small" one. Which has a zip.

I need to carry 2 maybe 3 credit/debit cards. Some folded notes and a few coins.
    I hate big wallets and love nice soft leather styles.

The price of bellroy are what's really making me think twice. I don't mind paying the money - just so long as the product is worth it.

Views and opinions please.

Thanks in advance

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I have a Bellroy Note Sleeve, and I'm a big fan. If you don't mind folding the bills, the Slim Sleeve would be slimmer.

I really like the thin, pliable leather that they use. I was a little worried at first, but it has held up well for over a year. The pull tabs that they incorporate are also a handy feature.

gadgetjack likes this.
  3. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

I have the Slim Sleeve since I rarely carry cash. I've had it for about a year, and I'll never buy another brand of wallet. I'll be buying a Bellroy for my son when he's old enough to take care of something so nice. I'll recommend the brand to anyone who wants to know about a good wallet. It's one of the nicest pieces of kit I've ever had, and I am absolutely 100% thrilled with the quality and design of it. It disappears in my back pocket when I sit down because it's as thin full as my old wallet was empty. There are plenty of good wallets out there, but Bellroy is worth every single dollar.

4. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

I purchased a Note Sleeve a month ago and I like it. I carry 7-8 cards, 5-7 business cards, and 5 bills folded. It has a slick slot to carry the business cards separate from the bills. It has a small pocket print and is about 3/4" at the thickest. It rides well in whatever pocket I need to carry it. I will note that I can't put any receipts or other wallet clutter in it, but that was really the point of going small. I look forward to carrying it for many years to come.

jag-engr likes this.
  5. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

That's an excellent point, one that I think is important to note as a positive aspect of these wallets. They tend to enforce KISS for your wallet contents, while also giving you a very nice leather wallet as well, as opposed to one of those "two bits of titanium and some elastic" wallets. They're an incredibly good balance between luxury and minimalism.

6. Quinby

Quinby Loaded Pockets

I have a Note Sleeve that I generally like. The parts that work well, work well.

Removing my transit is easy, as is putting it back.

I find the flap over the left card slot (the one in the cash section) very annoying. It never lays right, pulling out bills opens the flap. I think I'm going to trim it, either so it will tuck into the slot, or remove it altogether.

The pull tab in the inner card slot that jag-engr was talking about I find pretty much useless. Maybe because I rarely have more than one card in that slot.

jag-engr likes this.
  7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That flap has never bothered me on my wallet, but I have never used that pocket either. Now that you mention it, the pocket may be useful if the flap were to be removed. I do use the right slot in the cash section, because I can easily extract the card without opening the wallet. It's great for hotel pass cards when traveling.

I use the pull tab to pull out a 1/4"-thick stack of cards, so, yeah, I find it useful. :oops:

8. Ben Rubinstein

I have the Card Sleeve on my 'want to buy' list. It is expensive though so it's not going to be a quick investment. My Verge minimalist wallet (I got it on kickstarter, it's considerably more expensive now) does everything that the Bellroy does except for the pull tab but as a result getting notes out of that middle section is indeed somewhat annoying. That is what I like about the Bellroy. It's a clever solution without adding bulk.

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you're handy with a leather punch and needle and thread, it wouldn't be too difficult to add such a feature to the Verge...

10. Quinby

Quinby Loaded Pockets

I keep my deep cards in that pocket - the door access cards that don't need to be removed for use, any cards I use very infrequently and an old-style bus card I'm running down very slowly. So I don't really use that pocket.

The flap gets disturbed when I pull cash out of the wallet, as the corner of the bills hook onto the flap, opening it to stand up outside of the wallet, and then I have to manually lower the flap to close the wallet.

11. Ben Rubinstein

That's one big IF in my case. :)

12. dplafoll

dplafoll Loaded Pockets

Heh. That's what I was thinking... I've never been that kind of handy so I'd rather just pay someone else to do it. :p

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  13. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

I ended up buying the 'very small' wallet...

I'm pleased with it so far - suppose it's a case of time will tell