1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bee sting treatment?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Kilted1, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I got my first bee sting a day and a half ago. I stepped on the poor :censored: and she got me in the arch of my foot. Dropped to the ground and got the stinger out with my knife before anyone else even knew what had happened. Irony is that I was going to get my shoes on.

So here it is about 40 hours later and I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done to speed the healing? It itches and burns and throbs a bit like a ginormous mosquito bite. No sign of infection and it looks like I got all of the stinger out on the first try. Obviously I'm not allergic which is good to know. It could have been worse but the after effect is frankly making it hard to walk and it doesn't seem to have changed much since the first hour or two.

I read somewhere that vinegar can help but will it do any good at this late stage? Got any other home remedies? Ice / cold helps but of course that's only temporary.

2. Chuck Norris Light

Chuck Norris Light Loaded Pockets

I am a very realistic man, educated as engineer and not as shaman, but believe me, the following procedure do help ( my first reaction was ROTFL when I heard).
    Just after the wasp or bee has stung you, grasp 3 different kind of green grass, break them into half and apply the juice to the spot affected and the pain is released soon as well as you forget it all after 5 minutes.
    I do NOT know why is it necessary to take 3 kind of grass, maybe not all of them contain the cure so applying 3 you have more chance to take the right one. Or maybe it sounds more fabulous.
    Try it before you laugh at me.

3. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Interesting. Might have been good information to have on Tuesday evening, rather than Thursday morning. I'll give the grass juice a try since it certainly can't hurt anything.

4. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

For next time....Only works right after the sting: place a copper penny over it!

Have heard Chuck Norris Light's home remedy,too.

Or put a chaw of tobacco on it.

Since I have GrandKids, my truck kit has a Sawyer Extraction Pump.
    If you trust the interweb, it's controversial. Especially on snakebites.
    I dunno about that. Thankfully!
    All I know is: it seems to help the little ones, after stings.
    Less swelling & pain.
    YMMV.

5. _jedi_

_jedi_ Loaded Pockets

Don't be too sure about this. As with other allergies, the initial exposure to the allergen may not produce a reaction because your body has never initiated a response to it. The second time could have a MUCH different (i.e. deadly) reaction. Anyway... to answer your question, the best thing to do is take a Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) or other antihistamine. You can also make a poultice of baking soda and water to apply topically to the sting area for temporary relief.

Generally at 48 hours you will be on the tail end of the reaction, but you should continue to watch for any signs of allergic reaction, such as unexplained rash / hives, unusual levels of congestion, or difficulty breathing. If any of those occur, seek medical attention IMMEDIATELY.

Hunter Nelson likes this.
  6. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Benadryl will knock me flat for 10 hours then make me goofy for another 24. Can't afford to do that just now with projects going on at work. I know allergies can come and go at any time and not every sting will deliver the same amount of toxin so that warning is duly noted but since I have no known allergies, I'm not going to panic about it. I was glad at the time to be only about a mile from a hospital and two ambulances in the lot of the park where we were.

Interesting suggestions, Gnarly. I'll try to keep them in mind for next time. This isn't the first sting I've dealt with, just the first one on me.

7. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Last time I got stung, it was in the middle of my back, I didn't do anything for it. I didn't know that I was supposed to do anything for it. I am not allergic to bee stings, never had any reactions as a child or as an adult.

But, now I know.

8. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I've always been told to use baking soda and water with a little aspirin.. Make it into a paste and put it on the sting.

When I was a kid, I was stung by 14 bees (at the same time) .. Long story, bunch of kids night hiking to the girls camp.. No flashlights... Trampled over some bushes, pissed off some bees..

Anyway, the remedy worked for me.

9. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Man up, there's treatment for ya :p

SAKplumber, Kilted1 and Kripto like this.
  10. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

Ice it. Then use Calamine Lotion for the itch.

I read that toothpaste was good for cooling the itch but I didn't try it when I got stung last weekend. I just iced it and took Benadryl at night and the itching let up on about day 4. Had a angry red inflammation at the site of the sting for a whole week though!

11. Kalvin Frank

Kalvin Frank Loaded Pockets

Benadryl and a paste using meat tenderizer. The venom is a protein and the tenderizer breaks down the protein.

12. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I read about this in Joe and Terry Graedon's The People's Pharmacy years ago. The meat tenderizer has an enzyme from Papaya called Papain that does the work. When I was a kid I got into a nest of yellow jackets and got stung 13-14 times. I tried this (or asked Mom to, at the time) and it seemed to relieve things.

I've been stung by wasps, sweat bees, bumblebees (really!), and hornets. The hornet hurt the worst but the yellow jacket nest was the scariest because there were so many. Stings are never fun. I hope it feels better soon.

13. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I've had a few wasp stings in the past, they seemed to resolve within a few hours or a day at most. This is now down to a deep itch that's easy enough to ignore as long as I'm focused on something else. It really hasn't been that bad, just annoying, the pain peaked within a few minutes. For the record, I haven't done anything other than a cold water bottle held between my feet.

I'm loving all the folksy remedies. Keep them coming!

14. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Tobacco. Whenever I got stung as a kid my Dad would strip the tobacco out of one of his smokes chew on it for a few seconds and then pack it on the sting. It worked.

bleh likes this.
  15. Ralph B

Ralph B Loaded Pockets

Wow, jedi hit all the key points.

16. Tulliandar

Tulliandar Loaded Pockets

Witch hazel helps with the irritation

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mom always used a Meat Tenderizer & water poultice.

18. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've read all of the above and can add nothing nor comment about what has been said,,,,,,,, except that when I get stung and after removing the sting I just ignore the irritation and it goes away after a few days

19. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

A few weeks ago I decided to see if it was possible to pet a wasp. The wasp I tried to pet didn't sting me but a couple of others did. The bad part was someone saw me do this.

Grinch, Shike, keith1234 and 2 others like this.
  20. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Was therer at least a bet involved in this madness?