1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

"Beaver tail" Packs?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Rdog, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I've come to the conclusion I really want this feature in my next pack, and have been looking for as many options as possible.

Most with this feature tend to be larger bags, which is nice and all, but it seems that this extra space is more important in smaller packs, yet I'm not finding many...well I found two smaller packs thus far with the extra space.

So one question is how many packs have some sort of beaver tail/extra storage space (and I don't consider the shock cord option/version to be the samething).

The MSM Boss Beaver has a huge beaver tail. Love it, but fear maybe the pack is a littler larger than I want at ~1500 cu in? (is that with the tail open...I assume not?)

Blackhawk cyane, Looks pretty good. ~816 cu in w/o tail open
    (Am interested in hearing about this one...good/bad/?)

Warrior assault systems, Elite ops helmet bag, looks good as well...to my eye, better than the blackhawk. ~610 cu in + tail space.
    (Same here, anyone have experience with these?)

There must be a lot more similar packs, and I know there are some aftermarket beavertails that can be added to some packs, or modified to any pack...and a DIY tail is a possibility but would not be as nice as the mesh setups. (I'm working on one for a camelbak Mil Mule right now).

What else should I look at? (Around 1000 cu in with beaver tail, mesh style to hold small objects better than just some straps would.)

Also, I probably should ask about any down side to the beaver tail?

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

The 5.11 Nitro might be a good fit for you. I have the Boss Beaver and stopped carrying it because of the way the admin pocket (The tail of the tail) flops down when there's any weight in it. I just found the whole bag to be floppy in general. It is very well-designed from an organizational and feature point of view though. There is also a way to connect the compression straps that is supposed to help, but I never bothered. If you don't carry much in the admin pocket it might not be an issue for you.

3. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

It's also a bit bigger than what you specified (1,768 ci), but the 5.11 All Hazards Prime looks like a good bag.

4. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

The All Hazards is a gray pack, but since you’re only looking for 1000ci I’d suggest the Osprey Daylite Plus. Great bag and great warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

The 5.11 Nitro looks like a possibility, thanks for the tip...I think the Prime is too large. While I have handled a few Osprey packs and did like them I do lean towards the Military style and like the Molle webbing for add ons. Although an Osprey is probably what I'll get my wife in time.

6. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

FWIW I also consider the beaver tail or stuff pocket to be a must-have feature along with water bottle pockets. These two features steered me off of the military-style bags and back to civvy bags. It turned out that I personally never really used the MOLLE for much of anything

7. GoBliNuke

GoBliNuke Loaded Pockets

https://ovinnovations.com/collections/all/products/cache or DIY :)

https://ovinnovations.com/collections/all/products/teeter-pouch ;)

Highway9 likes this.
  8. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

You have a bunch of options. I will throw out my best recommendation first and then a few other options.

There is guy with a sub forum on the custom made, he makes custom packs and other things. I have one, its great. His company is called Sarma Custom Made. He also makes beaver tails. He has a bunch of packs in the 15-30ish liter range. One of the best things about him, is that you can customize it. You want custom colors, materials, different organizer panel, different pockets, less or more molle, etc, he will accommodate you. He will make a beaver tail for it. I can tell you, from a price/quality/customization combination, I can't think of anything close.

A different option all together, but not exactly what you are looking for, is the Connor pack from HPG. It doesn't have a beaver tail per se, but it has hypalon wings that could be used in a similar manner. The website says like 1500 ci, but honestly, they are delusional. I have the pack and have both iterations of the TAD lightspeed which are listed as like 1350ci and both of those packs are bigger. I would say 1000-1200. HPG is good quality and excellent customer service.

First Spear has the ECP pack, coolest beaver tail. I don't own any FS stuff, but they are the OEM for HPG, so I assume same quality. They also have the Comm pack. The smaller one is about 1000ci. The thing I would say about that is the Comm pack has a limited range in how the beaver tail can be used.

Another option is to go use a third party beaver tail, like Sarma, TAD, OVinnovations, and others and get it on the pack of your choosing.

Of these, I highly recommend Sarma for the reasons stated above, but also because I hope guys like him get good business, cause honestly, there are very few people out there doing custom work like this and I want him to be successful. Another guy that does custom stuff is Whittemore Handmade. He can probably get you what you want.

Bora, Municipal_Jedi and SeanByrdman like this.
  9. Jackr

Jackr Loaded Pockets

Mystery Ranch just introduced the Crest Mountain. It has the Stick-it. Looks good, I think I would just add water bottle pockets to the sides and be good to go.

10. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

Well lots more things for me to check out...I like it, even if the choices get harder.
    I'm also on the fence of just buying or DIYing an add on tail...I started making one like two years ago? Got side tracked and not sure where it is.

11. BTG108

BTG108 Loaded Pockets

Lots of choices to buy:
    Kifaru
    Sandpiper of CA
    Triple Aught Design
    OV Innovations

12. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

13. SeanByrdman

SeanByrdman Loaded Pockets

Second on the Connor. I have their Umlindi and it's a great midsize pack, and they're wonderful guys to deal with.

The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: "What good is it?"
    ― Aldo Leopold

14. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

Triple Aught Design.

/ end thread

EFX likes this.
  15. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I do like the looks of the Fast pack light speed...but I get nervous with the price. I get the gut feeling no pack is worth over $200 for my use and size desired. I fear I could buy a $250 or up priced pack and be just as unhappy as with a $50 one.

Graywolf.dv, JIM and GoBliNuke like this.
  16. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. American made, and absolutely over constructed. Have never had an issue and I am out of the Country 6 months out of the year with it. If my pack fails while I need it, its a bad day. Thats why I do not mind paying for good quality stuff.

onebadwagon likes this.
  17. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I get what you are saying, and don't disagree with the philosophy.

18. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

I posted this on the wrong thread earlier....

While searching pack reviews and sales back and forth I came upon a deal I couldn't pass up on a Blackhawk Cyane. (I had just saved it to my amazon wish list because one of the colors was much cheaper than the others, then it marked down even more so next thing I know I have another pack!)
    Well I just got it and have not used it so this is just my "out of the box thoughts".

Size, is about perfect for day use, but honestly on a full day hike I'd probably want more room, 2-4 hr hike with food, water bottles, maybe camera, a couple of extras...perfect.

Organization, It doesn't really have it. You get the main compartment, a good size secondary pocket, and 3 zip compartments for small, or thin items. One is full length but these are for thin stuff, not really sure what they are ideally for. Almost feels like they had the space to add a pocket, so they put it there, but they are not for cargo.

Beaver tail, larger than it looks in photos, almost doubles the cargo volume I'd estimate. I like this feature, but its still kind of new to me. Also, the mesh, I will worry about the mesh. Probably nothing to worry about unless you put something with sharp edges in it, but it would be nice if it could hold a full ammo can without worry, but I think that would be unwise.

Zippers are not as nice as camelbaks, the pulls are nice, but don't think the quality is there.

Construction seems good, but the design is not as refined as camelbak in places (using my Mil mule as side by side) the details are overall better with the camelbak (I don't see any flaws, it just little details).

Blackhawk web site lists it for $163-194. IMO, that is overpriced. Shop around a bit and its ~$100 give or take 10 buck...better, but I probably feel it was a little over...I was lucky enough to pay right at $69 and change and feel good with that.

I can't wait to put this to use, will give my opinion on it down the road...still will likely grab something a bit bigger as well. Its a sickness.

19. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

So I get on these little kicks where I focus way too much on one thing, and a while back it was packs (again), a new pack, a better one etc. And I'll spend almost every free minute looking at/for a new pack. Then it runs its course and something else may take its place....

Well, around the time I picked up the Blackhawk Cyane, I also got probably 3-4 other packs...I also sold off 5-6 packs as well that hadn't been used in yrs...goodwill got one as well if memory serves.

The Cyane got put aside and an older style but new with tags Camelbak Hawg, and a new Spec-Ops brand THE EDC became my focus. I went back and forth on those for a time and chose the Spec-Ops EDC as winner for a general purpose day use pack...from hotels to hikes.

However, it didn't do it for me as a work bag...I don't need to carry much for work, (I work in a wood shop) and the HAWG felt like a smarter bag for stuffing a layer of shed clothing, carrying a few water bottles, small first aid, and a few odds and ends.

But as the weather warmed up I started to leave the multiple water bottles in favor for a gallon jug, and while the HAWG had no problems with it I remembered about the Cyane and its expanding beavertail. Well I pulled it out and gave it a try, turns out its a great setup for this use.
    Main pocket will take any shirts/hoodies in the cooler months i'd want to stuff in, The smaller thin zippered pockets take snack bars, and secondary pocket is perfect for first aid kit, and the expandable beaver tail, takes my gallon jug with ease and still has room. The mesh is perfect for a sweating bottle.

Had I given this little pack more of a chance in the beginning I may ("may") not have bought or needed to buy the HAWG or Spec ops packs.
    I've only been using it for a few weeks, also taken it canoing...more time with it may bring to light some short comings... it is a small pack, and on hikes I came to believe the HAWG and Spec-ops EDC were actually too small...ideally. But at the moment i am really impressed with the Cyane, and that the expanding beaver tail concept is golden.

Myrddraal likes this.
  20. Bora
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman

Bora Loaded Pockets

Hi comrades! Thank you very much for recommendation and good words about my bags! But now I very very busy with projects and tenders of Source Tactical Gear and Source Outdoor....Because of this, the time production of backpacks and bags (except for Torba-Mini) has increased very much (4-6 month and sometimes longer...).
    If you can wait and are ready for high prices ( $220-$270 for backpack 18-25L) - welcome!