1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Beautiful Leather Satchel - Better Description

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by WildEMT, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Manzerick

Manzerick Empty Pockets

This looks like such a great bag!!!

I'd have to sell a few torches to get it but.... man.. i'm tempted!!

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I couldn't let such a great description disappear into the nether...

3. WildEMT

WildEMT Loaded Pockets

:thumbsup:
    Good man, good man

4. Manzerick

Manzerick Empty Pockets

i showed some peeps and they think i'm crazy... Still thinking about it LOL

5. ChipPanFire

ChipPanFire Empty Pockets

They were right - you are crazy!

(I'm thinking about it too :idiot2: :-X)

6. Destroid Monster

Destroid Monster Empty Pockets

I have made an enquiry on the bag yesterday. This is the reply I get from Dave:

" Hello James, I do not sell or ship to Asian countries. If you have an address to ship to in the states or Europe that would meet my criteria. Hope you understand. This is for product integrity not in any way prejudicial. Best, Dave "

I'm from Singapore anyway.

7. Manzerick

Manzerick Empty Pockets

We could play the game of having it shipped to me and i'll ship to you... :angel:

It'll just cost you one bag please... :lolhammer: your choice of color :cool:

8. Destroid Monster

Destroid Monster Empty Pockets

Thanks!!! I'm making arrangement to have the bag send to a friend in the States right now. In the event it doesn't work out, you could be either Plan F or G :luck:

9. Manzerick

Manzerick Empty Pockets

This thread finally inspired me to buy the 16" Carbon bag/breifcase. it should be here within two days and I can't wait!!! I still marvel at how well the "story" is written on the company webpage!!

I know this is an old thread but I'll ask here anyhow.... Has anyone attached a satchet to the end of the bag? If do, how does it work well? My main concern is that it will flop around being only attached ot the top.

:)

10. DSC

DSC Banned

Do you mean a "satchel"? If so, yes...I have one on the side of mine and it's fine. The only time I can imagine that it would flop around is if you were running or something. It's a handy place to put things without having to open up the bag, especially if you have everything buckled up...

11. Manzerick

Manzerick Empty Pockets

Excellent! TY!

I can't wait for this thing to show up! I had just about had enough broken straps on mySwis Army Backpack!! :)

12. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I think i speak for everyone when i say we want pic's, so we can all be jealous,,, JR

13. Manzerick

Manzerick Empty Pockets

Without a doubt there will be pics! On the company website there is a photo contest to win a $500.00 credit!!

You can only imagine the idea's I have... I just hope not to get arrested !!! LOL

14. Manzerick

Manzerick Empty Pockets

Per the tracking info it shows up tomorrow!!!! WOOT WOOT WOOT!!! :)

15. themadplumbarian

i cant wait :drool: i found another place that sells them, but they don't give a very good pic, but there less then half the cost,,, http://www.grafea.com/acatalog/GRAFEA_Postwar_leather_briefcase.html I'm going to email them to see if they can send a catalog, or get some better pics,,, JR

16. DSC

DSC Banned

That may be another place that sells "leather briefcases", but they don't sell the Saddleback Leather ones as referenced in the original post.

17. Manzerick

Manzerick Empty Pockets

Ok folks… there will be a delay for Pic’s but I switched my from my Swiss army Backpack to the 16” Carbon briefcase yesterday. Here are my opinions so far (always subject to change lol):

• This thing is a tank! I work in an office and folks have already said I look like a Doctor… also that I now look “professional” and such. Strange as all I did was change the way I carry my gear but heck.. I agree.. It’s nice looking for sure!
    • The leather is really amazing! Def. the top of the hide!! I only question if all the stitching is “hand” stitching but does it really matter? They are all in a good line and groupings. I can clearly see where it is in fact hand stitched. With that said.. I can clearly see where it wasn’t. (unless they are just that good.. doesn’t really matter any to me.. it is top quality either way!)
    • The bag seems to stand on its own better than other messangers I’ve had. This may be the pre-break-in phase… more to come it this stays this good!
    • The hidden- super secret pocket is just a flap which you can clearly see. You have to be Helen Keller to miss it!! LOL I hope it stays down with use but if not no biggie for me.. I don’t really have anything to hide..but would have liked to feel like James Bond for a few moments in time! 
    • I wish it had more inside pockets and also pockets like the Saddleback Backpack has on the outside. I’ll be getting the satchel to attach to the side to rectify that but stock it would be nice!
    • I can see why the Chicago bolt idea was a good mod. Although my straps stay put.. I would like them more secure. Not really needed but I’m a bag diva sometimes.

Overall I’m glad it is well worth it in quality alone. If you are a “Kenneth Cole” type of guy.. This is not for you. If you eat nails for breakfast, work in a cube….. And then plow the fields at night, this is your bag! Rugged… office worthy.. Practical.. Can I say it any better? 

Pic’s will follow when my camera works again.. The shutter is jammed and I will work on it tonight. Please let me know if there are specifics you would like to see in pic’s.. I’ll do my best to make it happen.

18. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I'm currently making my own leather briefcase/messenger bag/gear-carry-all bag that closely resembles the Saddleback style of bags. It's been a pain to do but the result will be well worth it in the end. I would love to see the following pics of your bag if you could provide them. If not, no worries:

Detailed interior view. How many pockets does your bag have internally and how are they organized? I've already got my interior organization laid out but I'm curious how yours is.

Hidden flap view. I can see from your description that you didn't care much for this (and neither do I), however, I'd like to see exactly how well it "hides" something. I'm not putting something like this on my homemade bag as I have no use for it.

Bottom view. I'd like to know how this sits on the ground. Do the joints for the leather keep the bottom of the bag off the ground (i.e. sewn point around edges joining front and back or interior divider to the side and bottom pieces) or do the attachment rings help keep the leather from touching the ground or getting scraped?

Detailed shoulder strap view. How comfortable is your shoulder strap? Does it stay in place and help keep the bag on your shoulder or does it slip at all?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I think Saddleback makes awesome bags and from what I've seen they look great for business or outdoors. I don't think I ever could justify purchasing one of their bags (at least not to the wife) so that is why I'm making my own.

Thanks a lot for any pictures you can provide!

Heath

19. Manzerick

Manzerick Empty Pockets

No problem at all!! Once my camera starts acting right again I can help you out.

My main issue is having enough pockets right now. Everything fits but i'm looking for a small nylon bail out bag of sorts to fit in the front compartment to help organize. If I can't find what i'm looking for I may (gulp) venture into making one myself out of leather. If I do that, would you be able to please give me hints on leather crafitng? I've read a lot online but could use real world advice.

Also note - I led the Saddleback folks to this post and they were delighted!! They seem like they really care about the job and it is refreshing to see in this day ouf outsourcing and cuts!!

:)

20. themadplumbarian

Manzerick,

If you have some questions on leather craft, i would be glad to help, as healthah said i might start making my own, and if you could once your camera gets its chips right post some good pics, so we can get an idea, into its construction to make our own,,, ive done leather craft, and still due but not as high quality as saddleback,,, JR