1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bear Grylls new clothing line...

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by muskrat72, Oct 19, 2009.

1. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Now hold on, I know a lot of guys out there dont think much of Bear but his military history and what not is good enough for me.

On that note, I noticed in his new show he is wearing pants with what looks like black patches on the knees and buttocks. But there is more too them and not just the cost. Craghoppers - Bear Grylls Survival Gear

Read the details and let me know what you, the edc experts, think. :)

2. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

just one question:

If i buy these pants, do i get to stay in a hotel every night when i'm out in the wilderness? :evilgrin:

3. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

this

4. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

$90 bucks seems like alot for a pair of pants that I am going to beat to hell. But I am curious about what they will honor in their lifetime guarantee.... rips from abuse?

5. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

:laugh: Yeah! Is this some kind of new hotel lounge wear?

6. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Is there a discount on these if I send in a video of me eating some roadkill or a bag of cockroaches?

7. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

He has some good stuff, liked his "tracker top".

8. metalfof

metalfof Empty Pockets

Craghoppers standard line of clothing is pretty good,don't bother with the Bears branded stuff-their Kiwi Trousers are well made and functional.

9. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I used to sell a good range of his kit at my store. Some fairly nice but lightweight camo pants, the kiwi-style craghoppers & a couple of his coats (spoiled only by having Bear Grylls patches all over em).
    There was also a very nice khaki shirt with a collar that could be rolled up, tabs for rolled-up sleeves & slotted buttons, but again they seemed quite expensive.

10. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

Why are so many negative to Bear? I have just seen his show a couple of times...

11. neon

neon Loaded Pockets

Because his survival is not real and he often does stupid things that would just endanger ones life in a survival situation.

I have seen DVD editions of his series and there they do not try to create the illusion that Bear is really surviving in real situations so I do not have that negative opinion on him. I do not regard his series as a survival manual, I see it more like an action series with a one or two good advices on survival and primarily I like to watch it because of the nature shots.

I hear that original series shown on Discovery was trying to make you believe that he was really in a survival situation without external help. DVD show have a disclaimer at the beginning saying that Bear just demonstrates survival technics.

12. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

You know how some movies and TV-series show failed takes and the like after the credits? Sometimes I wish a "no external help" survival series would do that too and show their footage of the star of the show begging the camera crew for food and blankets. :laugh:

(I've never seen any of Bear Grylls's shows and I have no idea who he even is, so the above comment is not aimed at him.)

13. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

I am not sold on the pants with the patches. They remind me off the jackets with the elbow patches. Actually, they remind me of parachute pants. Not sure why.

If given the choice, I would rather be out in the woods with Les "Survivorman" Stroud. At least Les has the sense to build a fire to cook the game caught. ;)

14. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

I never understood why he does that. Just cook your freaking food man! Of course, he wouldnt get the ratings if he didnt. Also, why does he run everywhere? That would seem to take up more energy to me.

15. ricci5

ricci5 Loaded Pockets

I love his show. He is good entertainment. He does have alot of good info. on survival. It is a shame he makes a few dangorous moves, like always cliff diving into water and eating or drinking things that are unsafe. On the discovery version of the show, there is a disclaimer that he gets help and that situations are presented to him.

16. herbsandspices

herbsandspices Loaded Pockets

For what it's worth (if it's important to anyone), I called Craghoppers about where these pants (and the rest of their pants) are made, and they come from China. I'm not implying anything about the quality - I just like to know where the things I buy are manufactured. :)

:thumbsup: john

17. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

My brother once said that "Bear does everything you shouldn't do if you were in a survival situation".
    He does a lot of "stunts" that are just ridiculous.

18. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

too bad this stuff has existed for ages anyway. See real hard wear clothing, hard yakka.
    CLICKY

I find his show "entertaining" but he takes too many risks, and so much of his "experience", is common sense. :rolleyes:

19. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

I'd rather buy some regular cargos and good knee pads, that way I have knee protection with any of the pants I own.

On the why don't some people like bear issue it's not because he doesn't have knowledge, experience, etc... It is because, like previously, stated he does a lot of risky/stupid stuff.

20. In_Flux

In_Flux Loaded Pockets

Tag Line: Just as comfortable in the hotel room as on the movie set.