1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bear Grylls Knife Rip-Off

Discussion in 'Knives' started by RockyNomad, Nov 17, 2009.

1. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

2. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Loaded Pockets

WOW!!!! Huge price difference. I have always liked his knife but would never buy it because of the astronomical price. What do you know of the 440c blade steel?

3. Underhill
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Underhill Perpetually Hungry

Seems awfully expensive for what it is.

This is a much better knife in the same size/class and not only does it feature a better steel and better grind, it's also cheaper.

4. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY Loaded Pockets

I have that knife. LOVE IT!!!

5. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

:iagree: When I look at anything by Bark River I can't help but think `Custom KnifeĀ“ although they're not because they are made in runs.
    In this case you are getting a near to custom knife and $10 change instead of a not bad looking but average knife, I know which I would go for if I had the cash.

6. RockyNomad

Yeah, I like the design of the Grylls knife too but the price tag is way too high. Even the rip off is too much considering it's 440C. The Bravo is a fine looking knife. I haven't owned a BRKT yet and am considering getting in on the Aurora list as my first purchase.

7. Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter Empty Pockets

The Bayley "Bear Gryllis" knife is no longer the Bear Gryllis knife. There's a NEW "Bear Gryllis" knife with serrations on the edge.

The addition of these serrations makes the knife less useful as a bushcraft knife but likely more marketable to folks who just want the cool factor.

There's nothing wrong with "vanity knives', Hibben made a lot of money with Rambo KNives so why not.

If you want a good tool, you forget about which TV or Movie Character uses it and you look for a functional tool. TV and Movie knives are selected for the image they project, not the cutting ability.

The Bravo is a great working tool, designed for USMC Force Recon, it's the right E&E tool for them. For Bushcraft work, it's a bit heavy and large since it was built to be bullet proof.

The Bark River line is full of great "real" knives, the Fox River, NorthStar, Canadian Special to name three.

If it says Bark River, it's a real knife.

8. maddawg918

maddawg918 Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the forum sharpshooter. :woohoo:

Can't wait for my new barkie necker with the sharpshooter sheath gets here! O0

9. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I like the look of both the Bayley & Scorpion Six but they DO look very "Mora-ish".

IF I can find a decent Mora blank, (pref full tang) Id like to have a go at making my own rip-off/homage to these knives, maybe with abit of the Ray Mears Woodlore design thrown into the mox for good measure.

I particularly like the horizontal sheath with firesteel & sharpening stone holders

10. kcwater

kcwater Loaded Pockets

The cold steel master hunter will put the Bear knife to shame.

http://www.coldsteel.com/masterhunter.html

You can get it for less than the retail price on the site. The blade steel is VG-1 San Mai III (three layers sandwiched together), and the handle grip is outstanding.

11. RockyNomad

12. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I'm assuming the ats-34 marking is just that... It's a great design for knife and sheath, but would hate to lose 40 bucks on a poor quality knife.

13. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

I wouldn't assume an "ATS-34" marking on a cheap knockoff means anything. When you buy crud like that, you would be lucky to get what you paid for.

14. RockyNomad

Yeah, I don't know if the steel is authentic or not. Other listings have the same knife but in AUS-8. There are some positive reviews of this knife from other vendors on the same website. I have a different Chinese made knife on order. Maybe I will wait and see what it is like first then make a decision.

15. RockyNomad

I found a good comparison of this knife to the original. Very enlightening. I'm no longer considering this knock off version.

16. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

Another alternative for the same knife, a bit more expensive base price (and without the firesteel) but with free shipping: http://www.manafont.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Bear+Grylls&log=&x=14&y=8

17. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

Can you please post a link to the comparison? I am interested to see if the knockoff is any good.

18. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

That's redscoprion domain name is now down and evidently has a virus warning poping up on it.

19. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

^Thank you, it still not works but I will check it again.