1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Be Prepared

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by prof, Dec 4, 2012.

1. prof

prof Loaded Pockets

Last night was our annual Christmas parade. My daughter sang with a group from church, and my son was to ride a float with the other cub scouts. My wife and I split to cover both kids. I ended up riding with my little guy (the adults formed a human guardrail since the float was a decorated flatbed trailer).

After the parade, a group of us stayed around to disassemble the float. All the decorations had been attached to the trailer with zipties. The guy who owned the trailer had a set of wire cutters. In this pack of cub scouts and leaders, in an agricultural community, guess who had the only pocket knife?

Guess I'll sharpen the mini-grip this weekend...

whoozle, LoneStarJosh, e2dwml and 5 others like this.
  2. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Used to live in a rural area and you would think they would all carry at least a SAK (Farmer !!! :p) and a flashlight...right ?? :D They are no different than your average Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I do think that they left their folders, their Leathermans and their SAK's at home when they went to the parade....

3. Jacob Rothers

Jacob Rothers Loaded Pockets

it's hilarious when the same person who asks you why you carry a knife with a scared look on their face is the same person that comes asking to borrow it to cut something later on...

LoneStarJosh, e2dwml, jph0200 and 6 others like this.
  4. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

Happens. All. The. Time.

5. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I loan my flashlight out almost daily, noone has decided to pick up the habit yet.

tmedina likes this.
  6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's when I start saying "no" - so they have a chance to learn to plan ahead.

Because the next time they need something, I might not be there and it might be more of a passing inconvenience.

7. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

My answer to a borrow request is always no. I will offer to do it for them if I have the time or inclination. Last thing I want is to be upset at someone for damaging themselves or the blade, or losing it.

On the other hand, I will offer the use in some cases to get them done with their work and out of my space. (usually IT guys and a flashlight, you would think they would learn by now.)

jph0200 and mole like this.
  8. jacobwilson99

jacobwilson99 Loaded Pockets

Yes to all of the above. I let someone use my ZDP Endura, turned my back, and when I got it back there was a big chip in the blade. :(
    Never again.

9. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

When I was a cub scout we were required to have a knife. What happened?

Tinker likes this.
  10. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Human beings often don't look after what doesn't belong to them, especially knives.

If a person is unable to own, use and care for his own knives, there's no chance in hell I'll trust him to use and look after mine properly.

Last edited by jph0200, Dec 6, 2012
    sandman-23 and tmedina like this.
  11. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Hey prof, great story. Always nice to see parents actively involved with their kids and in their communities. The knife thing was cool too. :)

prof likes this.
  12. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Several years ago I used to work at a furniture factory and we had lighting problems in the main stairway going to the mezzanine level, and the emergency lights didn't work either. Imagine 80 or so people stumbling up the stairs trying to use cell phones and cigarette lighters to light the way.
    Was I the only one with a flashlight? Yep. EVER? Yep. Was I ever almost late for holding a light for others to see by? Yep. Did I ever hear anyone say
    "Hey that's a good idea?" Nope.

13. prof

prof Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys! I'm not surprised that the cub scouts didn't have knives-most of them are younger and have not yet earned that badge (and this was after school). I was surprised that the adults were not equipped...

I really appreciate the comment about being involved. I'd rather be with my kids and family than anything else!

14. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I keep a set of electricians snips AND a Vic multi-tool, double threat for zip ties and wire up to 10 gauge.

15. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Great story. In the UK not many people EDC (to the scale some people do :p), but you still have the random person with a swiss army knife. Problem is these days people are too scared to carry over here because they could get into trouble from the police. But now when they need a tool they have no where to turn.

16. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

No guns, no gear either?! Why do people stay there? Not that there's anything wrong with it..

Idaho Gunslinger likes this.
  17. HybridMomentsPass

pussification of america.
    people dont want children with knives all of the time cause a few bad seeds have done bad acts
    Shame.
    I miss the old cub scout days, was fun.

Except I hated that bandana cape thing....

18. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

Haha.. I'm surprised they haven't done away with that thing yet. No idea what it's good for.

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Splints, arm slings, and all the traditional bandanna uses.

Tinker likes this.
  20. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I don't think the majority of people in the UK are the least bit concerned about not being allowed to carry guns. We're pretty big on campaigns and protests, yet in my 47 years I don't recall anyone kicking up a fuss about it. I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

If it were legal to carry guns here I would own one, but I don't think it'd make me feel any safer. I'm not looking for a debate about whether it's better/safer for everyone to carry guns or not, because I honestly don't know the answer, but, I wouldn't want to live in a place where I felt I needed to. That's not the only reason I stay here, but I guess it's one of them. Not being able to afford to leave is another. ;)

What does bother me is not being able to EDC even a small locking or fixed blade knife as a tool. That does cross my line. :nah_disagree: