1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Batoning?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by huntnow, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

There's nothing wrong with batoning, if that's what you like. I've tried it and it's a good skill to know if a knife is all you've got. I don't find it very hard to do. However, I grew up in the bush, was raised by bush crafters, who were that way by necessity and there was never any batoning going on. Same with my peers....we spend half the year under the stars, and so lots of primitive camping, hiking and harvest many animals throughout the year. I also have to process about 10 - 16 cords of wood every year for my home and different types of camping and I've come to the conclusion that batoning is "playing". That's just my opinion. It's a very "knife focused" activity if you are ate up with knives. Some people just like knives and like doing it, and I think a good knife should be up to the task. But you don't really need a batoning knife if you like carrying a hatchet. To each their own.

rkazooti and DCBman like this.
  2. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

@Caleb...Fair enough.

:censored: sure can't argue with that!!

edit...silly auto-censor!

3. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Forgot I made this video a while back. If you can baton with a Svord you should be fine batoning with your ~$200+ folders. It's all about knowing how to minimize damage potential.

rkazooti and chaosmagnet like this.
  4. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Forgot I made this video a while back. If you can baton with a Svord you should be fine batoning with your ~$200+ folders. It's all about knowing how to minimize damage potential.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

When you get right down to it, "batoning" is all about physics, leverage and fulcrums. Optimize these concepts to your advantage and any tool used should be fine.

Nothing more to it really.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I won't risk my $170 zt on batoning. I have a neck knife for that or a mora in my glovebox

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

BklynBoy likes this.
  7. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

I am the one who mentioned a fuzz stick earlier in the post, but I agree with you that they are rarely necessary. I learned to make a feather stick as a cub scout, but never really need to make one. The last time I actually needed to make one was at a party where a couple of good old Virginia boys were trying to get a fire going in a backyard fire pit with no twigs around and had nothing smaller than logs. After a few failures, this old New Yorker whipped out his pocket knife, found the smallest piece of kindling they had, made a couple of fuzz sticks and got the fire going with the same lighter I had just used to fire up my cigar.

rkazooti and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Should it come to the crunch, I'd baton the :censored: out of my Inkosi or, if I should be lucky and have it on me, my XM-18. But it's not the plan to do so.

Depends on the circumstances. It's not like batoning would be rocket science. Sometime a man has to do, what a man has to do when he is a man

PSA: In the general interest of a gender neutral society, please see the previous statement as an example. The word "man" stands as a symbol and can be exchanged against words like "woman", "trans", "gender fluid", "fury", "apache helicopter" or any other word according to your preference or emotional status

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

rkazooti likes this.
  9. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I always have my neck knife. Always. However! If it got lost, i wouldn't hesitate to go to town with my zt. If the blade lock became inoperable, i would carve a stick and it would become a wedged fixed blade with handle a la forest lol. I'm not going to misuse my tools but my life is more valuable than any tool when it comes down to it.

rkazooti likes this.
  10. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Will it substitute for "transmission fluid"?

:confused:

11. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Only if you got the correct pronouns at hand.

12. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

DOH!!!!! :eek:

Didn't even see that one when I typed it!!

13. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I don't go camping much anymore but as a kid I did a lot with Boy Scouts and my dad. We always used a hatchet or ax to process fire wood. I do have a wood stove and still use an ax. Several years ago when I needed a new hatchet I bought a Gerber camp ax that weighs all of 1.5 pounds and is much more efficient than any knife I could baton with. I could see where batoning could be a handy skill in a survival situation, but that's about it.

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

As @DCBman shows above in his posted video re batoning the Svord peasant knife, if one strikes the spine of the blade directly there really shouldn't be any impact to the blade lock. At least that's how I view it!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

rkazooti likes this.
  15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

OH PUHLEEZZEE! GIVE US A BREAK! Anyone who cannot recognize the proper English composition usage of 'man' in a generic sense needs to return to school and take remedial English! S***w Political Correctness!

Moshe ben David

BklynBoy likes this.
  16. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

I am glad you see sarcasm, when it comes along.

17. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Given the subject of this thread, I thought you might like the this review

rkazooti and ThaMac like this.
  18. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

I never have liked using saws. Went would you need to saw large logs? You don't need to. At most all you need is a hatchet large knife and folding knife.

19. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I'm looking forward to reading it.

20. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

The best way to baton with a folder if you have to is to do it with the lock disengaged. That way the lock isn't seeing any of the impact at all. Then you just focus on hitting the blade and not the pivot and you'll get it done. A fixed blade will always be better but it's not a bad idea to know how to use a folder if you have to, however unlikely it may be.