1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bat or baton home defense

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by bubbaj, Aug 11, 2013.

1. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Baton is legal to own here, don't know about carrying. But it would mostly be for at home use. Just expensive compared to a bat or mag lite. But much cooler. Ill prob go with the mag lite and then order a baton to play around with. Best of both worlds

kertap75 likes this.
  2. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

He11 no. I always throw something at the tv when someone grabs a bat for defense. I have heard Cold Steel sells sharp pieces of steel. But I think I would check a gun show and look for a used hand gun or shotgun I could chop to minimum legal length for under $100. Once you add shipping anything you get from cold steel will be about that. I have seen some great deals on single and double barrel shotguns at gun shows.

3. 11C1P
    • The Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

I suppose I could use my shotgun as some sort of bat, but I'd probably just try and grab my pistol.

socaldsal likes this.
  4. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Well I decided on a maglite. I chose the 5d version, 17 inches long, decent length. Red color, only because it was $16 compared to the $20+ for black. Not sure why but savings are savings. I am shopping around for a baton though and the best one is the bonowi from what I can tell. $160 though. Peacekeeper is supposed to be real good but it's not cam lock like the bonowi. So we will see. Not in a rush

arnisb, Echo2 and kertap75 like this.
  5. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

I agree that a gun is a deadlier option. And to each their own. I personally would rather not kill a person. If I had a family then it would be a different story. I know a shotgun is one of the best home defense weapons and I completely agree. But if they come in my apartment, a bat or blunt object is all I would need to protect myself unless they had a gun. I don't care if they take my stuff, just leave me alone. Insurance will cover my items.

If we both had guns, someone would get shot. And probably a kid in the room over if the bullet penetrates the wall.

6. clemency

clemency Loaded Pockets

FWIW, blunt club-like weapons that you swing are deceptively easy to defend against if the person in your sights is trained.

That said, collapsible batons are cool but they have a couple of drawbacks (or at least mine does). One, they can bend making it a simple baton instead of a collapsing one. Two, they can jam open especially after a hard deployment or swing making it a pain to recollapse, not a deal breaker but its something worth noting.

Bats... Think of your home. The width of your doorways and hallways. Is there enough room to get a good swing going? If your home is like mine then I'd say probably not. Without a good fast swing, the bat is even easier to defend against. In this instance a Maglite will do just fine. As will a pair of tube socks (one inside another) filled with nickels and pennies.

As with any self defense situation you want to create room between yourself and the attacker/s. Your best bet IMO? A good security system to help prevent situations before they can occur. If you don't want to go that route, think about putting up fake cameras with the little led lights and fake security company signs near your front door or on your lawn.

As far a means to defend you and your loved ones, get bear spray. Bear spray contains enough capsicum to make anyone run for the hills. It's legal to buy and own and you don't need a license. It's also effective against multiple attackers. Then, think about starting training with martial arts. A finger spear to the trachea will be more effective than a swing from a bat baton. All this of course is just my humble opinion and my 2ยข. Good luck.

Cobra 6 Actual and bubbaj like this.
  7. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I keep an ASP baton, and a Tonfa near the bed, but when S H T F i will reach for the tomahawk

Cobra 6 Actual and TarHeelBrit like this.
  8. TarHeelBrit
    • The Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

Thats what my friend back in the UK did. What with their draconian "offensive weapons" laws. He's got a bat, glove and ball in his car. The glove and ball just give credence to the "I've just come from a game with a few mates, officer" should he get stopped by the old bill.

A six D maglite is great for illuminations and self defense. I used one when I was working in an apartment complex kicking out drunks from under the back stairwells. Lit them up and "encouraged" them to leave peacefully. And as far as Anchorage police were concerned it was a flashlight not a weapon.

9. maverickmonk

maverickmonk Loaded Pockets

I have an escrima stick by my bed. Solid rattan, 28" long and I DO know how to use it. I'd rather have that than a knife any day of the week. If you're going to keep a blunt object, learn how to use it. They are pretty easy to block. Also, 1 handed ones are a bit more useful than 2 handed ones because 1: you wont get room to swing a baseball bat in a hallway, and 2, they're faster and a little harder to block.

SAKplumber and jph0200 like this.
  10. antibacterial

antibacterial Loaded Pockets

What about the CS Sjambok ?

11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

This is what OpsGear lists as the restrictions on the website for the Bonowi.
    • Available Only To US Military, Federal Agencies, Law Enforcement & Private Security
    • Required Proof of Identity Government Issued ID, Authorization on Official Letterhead, or Purchased using an active Government Issued Email Address
    • Verification Method Submit by fax (801.203.6458) or email (verify@opsgear.com) at time of purchase, including order # in message header. Unverified items are removed from orders after 24 hours. Call 801.936.2322 with questions.
    • Alternate Verification Method Ship to a publicly verifiable US Military, Federal Agency or Law Enforcement Agency address.
    • Restricted Locations within US CA, CO, DC, DE, FL, IL, KS, MA, MI, MN, NV, NJ, NY, RI, VT, WA [R.16]
    ATB,
    Sam

SAKplumber likes this.
  12. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

You made the best choice....:)

A state cop told me one time...."I carry a Surefire on my hip....take a guess why I have a 4D cell light in my hand when I approach your car.".

Point made.

13. 11C1P
    • The Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

I bought a 6-D cell maglite back when I was in Jr. high (~30 years ago :cry: ) for a camping light/club, as I was too young to carry outside our property. Over the years i've used it as a hammer, pry-bar, paper weight, door stop, used it as a "persuader" when I worked security, heck I've even used it as a flashlight before. It has been dropped in water, snow, mud, driven over once, bashed and beaten and it still works as good as ever. They are a very sturdy flashlight and I would say work as a multi-use tool, just wouldn't be my first choice as a home defense weapon, even if I couldn't use a firearm. I've had training with both ASP expandable batons and the old PR-24, while I like the PR-24 for most things better, I think between those 2 I'd take the expandable, just cause in a tight place you really aren't going to use the PR-24 properly most times. Like someone else mentioned, pepper spray or even a stun gun would be better than a club for home defense, if you can't have a firearm, at least that's my opinion FWIW. I have a stun gun that has a flashlight in it as well, so if having some sort of combo is important, you might try that, depending on your state laws. There is also a lead sap, but those can be troublesome in some locations as well, but they work very well in tight locations. Good luck.

bubbaj likes this.
  14. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

I meet the quiteria. Im from nj but stationed in ms for the next few months. I've already talked to them. Only thing holding me back is the price. It's awesome but rather silly to pay that much for something I'd just swing at watermelons most likely.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  15. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

In my current apartment there is plenty enough to swing a 29" bat. And it may be true that its easy enough to defend against a bat, maglite is a li title shorter and the light will hopefully disorient them a little. Most likely I will never use it in a defense application.

To those who mentioned martial arts, after my wedding and honeymoon I plan on taking Krav Maga.

clemency and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  16. Diecastfreak
    • The Omnia Paratus

Diecastfreak Loaded Pockets

Tire thumper!! Small metal core bat like thing. Don't know legalities of said object

17. maverickmonk

maverickmonk Loaded Pockets

Krav Maga is fun, if stabbing people in the eye sockets and throwing them by the junk is your idea of fun ;)

18. clemency

clemency Loaded Pockets

I have a funny story about my 1st Krav class...

I friend of mine (he's a LEO) invited me to the class since he knew that I've been practicing martial arts in one form or another since I was a kid. He was thinking of taking this particular class and wanted me along to get my feedback. "Sure." I said not thinking much of it... big mistake.

See, the class was for LEOs only and I was told that in order for me to take part in the class, I was going to have to show them "what I had". I was blind folded and surrounded by my fellow students and they proceeded to poke, prod, and eventually kick and punch me from all directions. All in effort so that they can see how I moved. I wasn't wearing any training gear or padding since Krav is more about practicality and real world situations so there wasn't any available (at least in this class). I ended up taking the class for a couple of years before I moved a couple of hours away.

Let me tell you, in that one class I learned a huge amount. What's nice about Krav is that (like I mentioned), it's real world and no fuss, no muss. There are no fixed forms in the traditional sense so it's easy for the student to gather a lot of knowledge very quickly. The downside of Krav? It's VERY aggressive. The way you're trained, there's no room for negotiation, no time "feel" your opponent. It's just go go go, attack attack attack. I have another friend that teaches Krav and he's a life long practitioner. He's gotten into SO MANY scraps with the law because his instinct (honed by decades of Krav) causes him to react to situations much more aggressively than is warranted. But don't let that sway you from Krav, it's great.

Sorry for the hijack.

socaldsal likes this.
  19. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

I like the escrima. Where did you learn to use it? Self taught or classes? I like that they are cheap too. Bloodsport.com seems to be the place to get good ones. Will keep these in mind. Thank you.

20. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

That's what I like about. I wish I took martial arts of some sort when I was a kid and followed through with it but didn't. Krav Maga is right in my alley, I have books on it but I need to get into some classes.

Sounds like you had fun lol

clemency likes this.