1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bat or baton home defense

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by bubbaj, Aug 11, 2013.

1. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Hey all, I am wondering what you all would rather have for next to the bed. I have a few shotguns at home in nj but I am stationed in ms right now and don't feel like buying another gun right now. I do plan on getting a pistol in the future but not just yet.

All I really need is a blunt object and truthfully a 4c-6c mag light would probably work but I am thinking about a cold steel Brooklyn crusher. Last forever, good weight and decent length, may be to long for indoors but my current apartment has room for swinging it.

Second option is a expandable baton. A 21-26inch would work well. Less hitting power but still enough.

I know the bat is the logical choice, I am even looking at fish bats(billy clubs). But the gear ho in me screams baton for the cool factor. And would be able to tuck it in a backpack when going on hikes.

What do you all think?

2. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Well a bat seems like a reasonable enough choice. You can have it handy all the time but it's not technically a weapon so there would be no need to hide it.

Goose

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

A baton in your backpack would be considered a Concealed Deadly Weapon.
    However I guess it just depends on whichever feels better in your hand when it comes time to swing it:D

kertap75 likes this.
  4. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Expandable batons are cool, but I don't think they are legal where I am. I would be careful with a bat designed as just a weapon also. I've been looking at garage sales for old aluminum bats, especially kids size, and old mag lights, I don't feel like paying retail for one.

Remember, big brother is watching

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

For what it's worth I was reading an article about batons and the choice thereof that said the sound of an ASP (telescopic baton) being deployed had the same effect on the bad guy as a pump action shotgun being racked.

Another thing to consider is local laws. I know in Raleigh it's considered a concealed weapon if it's out of sight but perfectly legal to open carry on a belt. My choice is an ASP easy to carry and intimidating to deploy...hopefully the sight and sound is enough to put the bad guy off.

arnisb and SAKplumber like this.
  6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have no experience with actual bad guys. But from my understanding the shotgun thing is all movie hype. It might work....sometimes. I can see it working on someone who broke into what they thought was an empty house and run away more from finding out you are home then from the shot gun sound. A light going on or a loud "who's there" would probably have the same effect. On the other hand shying who is in your home with harmful intent isn't going to flinch at any sound imo

Remember, big brother is watching

billybatson and TarHeelBrit like this.
  7. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies. Ill have to check the laws. I know they are illegal in NJ but from what I understand almost anything is free game in MS. Or maybe it's just me thinking that because its much more relaxed here than in NJ.

The bats sole purpose is actually for baseball, it was made because of all the bats that break during games, at least that's what cold steal says. And I don't know if having a baton in a backpack is considered concealment of deadly weapon sense it's considered less then lethal. But I'll have to check up on all of this. Will prob end up with the bat. Either the Brooklyn crusher or a fish bat

kertap75 likes this.
  8. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Louisville slugger....it's like Levi 501s, just classic. I have never seen a baton or bat on the trail. Hiking poles are an option and since I am getting older they REALLy help.

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm sure it is. Even in Kentucky, where open carry of a firearm is law, any weapon that can be used to kill someone is considered a CDW. Without my CCDW (Carrying Concealed Deadly Weapon) license, I would not be allowed to carry one concealed. The same goes for blackjacks, saps, and bats.

10. socaldsal

socaldsal Loaded Pockets

Dude just get a old fashioned Louisville slugger and play ball. You won't need to explain it either.

Relying on the SOUND of an ASP baton or a shotgun to do anything is just flat out bad information. If I can, within whichever jurisdiction I reside in, I would instead rely on the results of the baton or the shotgun after they do what they were intended to do. Whoever wrote that article cared about the check.

defuse kit likes this.
  11. baldenwonder

baldenwonder Loaded Pockets

The Brooklyn crusher will give you much more range and more
    effective than a lot of other things. Plus a good visual deterrent apparently. Worth getting a grip for a tennis racket or some proper baseball bat grip as I thing they may still come all plastic. ;)

12. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

Interesting. I would not have thought that. Thank you for the heads up.

13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

In most hallways, a full size bat aluminum or otherwise will have too large a swing radius.

After that, it will be a matter of what the prosecution can prove as far as intent.

Collapsible batons, only have one use... although defense or offense will be debated in court.

Don't have any kids, but have a kid size bat? Why?

Fishing thumper, but no fishing poles? Why?

A lot of short-handled items from the tool shed would probably fill the bill.

ATB,
    Sam

14. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

I have an old high school baseball aluminum bat, a Surefire E2D Defender, and an 18" stick of #4 rebar (#4 is 1/2" in diameter) that I picked up from the scrap bucket at work. I also have a can of wasp spray..... its completely legal, has a 15-20' reach, and that stuff stings enough to distract them. Not sure which I prefer yet because thankfully I haven't had to use any :D

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I'm sure no one is advocating using the sound as a deterrent, only stating that a study was done that found that the sound had an effect on the mental state of an intruder, etc.

I can understand that. All intruders are different, though, but I'm sure any similar sound, in the quiet, would get the attention of any stealthy intruder. How that particular intruder reacted to the sound is not something for a study to determine.

kertap75 likes this.
  16. socaldsal

socaldsal Loaded Pockets

I get no one is advocating using the sound, not doubting that the sound may affect an intruders mental state, but some folks get lazy and it's all they do. I know plenty of people who wholeheartedly greed with Biden's "shoot twice through the door" technique. Just saying is all... I've had a B&E happen twice to me, once when I was a kid and once when I was a younger man. Couldn't do anything about the first time.

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

So you're saying that the mechanical clanking of metal, in the dark quiet night, won't make a person whose being quiet, or at least sneaky, take notice and think that he may be busted? You don't think the intruder is going to instantly be put on guard? You can't tell me that you think that an intruder will just ignore the sound of a shotgun being racked.

18. 01bugtruck

01bugtruck Loaded Pockets

I like the baton for its portability. easy to conceal. quick deployment. and designed for close quarters.

plus..steel >wood

as mentioned, check local laws.

19. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

You got it right the first time. Go with the big maglite. Will hit as hard or harder than the baton, will not be to big to swing like the bat, and it makes sense from a legal standpoint to have by your side(or in your bag, car...etc) Get an led drop in for it if you want some more light.

Also, get someone back n NJ to ship one of your shotguns down to you?

kertap75 likes this.
  20. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

The mag lite may be the way I go, your right, it does make the most sense legally. But I don't want a shotgun down here, I don't have a safe to put it in and I wouldn't use it. It's only me in the small apartment. Even if I did have it and someone broke in I don't think my brain would register to grab that first. The blunt object would be the first thing I grab I think. But never had to and hopefully never will get to test it

kertap75 likes this.