1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bandana, hanky, kerchief issues?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by MatthewVanitas, Jan 31, 2007.

1. MatthewVanitas

MatthewVanitas Empty Pockets

I could've sworn I'd seen EDC posts on the subject, but have found very little with the above keywords.

I've been carrying "folded-up cloth squares" of various sorts since I was 16. I believe I started when I was working on NGO projects in Paraguay, and just kept doing it. Though I've been doing this for 10 years now, I've never really put much thought into the actual cloth itself. I just carried whatever I had. Earlier mostly cotton paisley bandanas from chain stores, and later desert or woodland camo ones from the PX.

Mine are getting pretty worn, and I feel a little "wannabe" or "has-been" carrying camo ones as a civilian college student. Might be time to drop a few bucks and buy a half-dozen good quality cloths.

Anyone have any particular useful types of handkerchief that I should check out, aside from the run-o-the-mill stuff?

My cheapies have been great for all kinds of mundane tasks, and decorum prohibits description of how much nastiness they've been through. Amazing how they come out of the washer as clean as a whistle.

Priorities:
    -- under $10 ea, preferably less
    -- durable as heck (shouldn't be a problem, even the cheapies last years)
    -- good coloration for disguising nastiness
    -- folds and carries nice and flat

Thanks for any recommendation.

-MV

2. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

I always carry a bandanna, two now that I live in the wet tropics. I just use cheap 18" cotton ones preferably olive green or brown. I recently did a bulk purchase for three dozen and they were only a little more than a buck each. I can't remember the name of the online store, but I'm sure that a Google search would turn up similar deals. Make sure you wash them a couple of times before using since the dye will bleed.

3. noosphere

noosphere Empty Pockets

There was some talk about carrying silk fabric and silk bandanas in this thread

::noosphere::

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Know your local gang colors and avoid using them. Also, tuck the bandanna all the way into your back pocket without any of it showing. Not so much so you don't look like a gangbanger, but so you don't look like one of those stupid emo-kids who wear perfectly-folded, purely decorative bandanas hanging out of their ridiculous loose-in-the-seat, tight-in-the-legs, pegged jeans, which they securely belt just below their butts so that their underwear shows. Morons, all of them. I'd rather be shot by a gang member than look like an emo-kid. :rant:

Oh, you might consider a solid, printless bandana if you can find one, or maybe even an industrial-type rag if you don't mind a bit more bulk. The janitors at my work use these really tough, light blue rags that can take all kinds of rough treatment. Plus, no gangbanger or idiot emo-kid would be caught dead hanging one out of his rear pocket, which is a big plus in my book. :thumbsup:

5. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Walmart 2-packs of standard paisley bandanas. Various colors but for low key colors I suggest dark blue and black.

6. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

7. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I usually bring a bright red bandana when going for a solo bicycle ride, walk, or hike in case I have to use it to attract attention. Other times, a dark blue bandana works. They are inexpensive cotton.

8. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

9. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

I buy the 18" 100% cotton bandannas at Hobby Lobby for a buck each. I never leave home with out one (or more).

Emo kids... :laugh:

todd

10. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

Usually carry two bandanas in my left rear pocket, one red and one blue. Most of the blue bandanas I have are old and soft so I use them for cleaning my glasses. The red ones are used for everything else.

11. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Loaded Pockets

Ok, bear with me here. I've seen this topic for several days now and every time I see it (though haven't read it until now) I think the same thing. I find it absolutely disgusting that people blow their nose on a rag, then stuff it in their pocket. Sick!! I can only imagine slimy grease getting all over their pockets and then when they reach in to pull it out again... I'm going to be sick. :green:

Now I know this thread isn't exactly about what to blow one's nose on (or in), but I can't help getting grossed out by that thought whenever I hear the word "hankey".

12. pocketrocket

pocketrocket Banned

I do occasionally carry a hanky, and have a few stashed in my "bug out bag". They of course have a million uses, but as far as blowing my nose... only in an emergency, ie: booger at a wedding. :green:

13. KydexSecrets

KydexSecrets Empty Pockets

I always carry a hankerchief in my back pocket. I don't notice it is there, and use it for everything from wiping off sunglasses to hiding messy hair.

In the even there is ever a first aide emergeny, it would work well for applying pressure to a wound if necissary. I also carry them while hiking and backpacking, and out in the woods there is no end to the uses.

-KS
    Kydex Secrets

14. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

I'd prefer a two-pronged approach if you're carrying a BOB. For nose-blowing, nothing beats just a small packet of Kleenex. Blow and throw. In fact, don't blow, just wipe. Studies have shown that blowing your nose blasts bacteria-laden snot back into your sinuses with great pressure. Bonus: you can give them to people around you. Would you want to give someone else your hanky to blow or wipe his or her nose then put it back in your pocket? Would you even expect them to accept it, wondering if your snot is already on it?

For heavier-duty use, I like Equinox Light Load towels in my BOB. Pretty small until you open the package, very absorbent and not too bad at $6 for a pack of three compressed pucks at EMS.

Attached Files:

15. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

I bought a nice survival bandanna from TAD. It is orange with all kinds of survival information and how to tie knots, etc.

Bandanna

16. Rjones

Rjones Empty Pockets

might get one myself!

17. Bagheera

Bagheera Empty Pockets

Hi,

I bought a whole bunch of silk bandannas sized 35"x 35" from a nice company called jinglebobs,

their service is just great, their postage rates cheap and they have nice silk bandannas in solid color for $9.99 or lower if you buy 2 or 3 and more of them.

You can find them here: www.jinglebobs.com

They also have nice horsehair braided hat bands etc.

Cheers,

Bagheera

18. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

I went by my local Hobby Lobby yesterday and they're closing the store, bad location/poor sales. I found a couple of Psalm 91 Desert Camo Bandanas and got one for me and another for my dad.