1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bandana 48"x48"

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Darkness must pass, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Darkness must pass

Darkness must pass Empty Pockets

Hello. I have been on the search for something like this large cloth/bandana type thing at Skingraft but it is really expensive in what seems more like a fashion thing rather than a practical item.

I have a few shemaghs but they do not really aid me in what I would like to use them for. I find them too thick for my daily use which means they also take more space. The fabric used on a bandanna seems thinner but also more stable. However, with the many uses of this large of a piece of fabric I still see the value of carrying it. After searching around, I do find it strange that a American/Western equivalent has not been created something like it but in a bandana type fabric with or without the bandana type artwork.

Anybody know of such a place to buy something like this? Anybody else have this thought?

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

How about hiring a local seamstress to make you some, it's obviously not a very complicated project. Try your local sewing/craft store like Joanne's and ask if they have any customers (or employees) who would sew for you. You can even pick out the exact fabrics you like in the store.

3. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

mike3145... my suggestion exactly. It seems like a practical item similar to a shemagh; but it doesn't scream ethnic or tactical.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Small square table cloths come in 54" x54". Lots of colors and fabric weights.

5. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I wanted big -- and reasonably priced -- handkerchiefs. After a fruitless search I went to a fabric store, bought several feet of desert MARPAT cloth (tan on one side, digital desert on the other). I then took it to a local seamstress, who make several 36" X 36" handkerchiefs for me (that's the size I wanted) with an average cost of $5.00 each, including the price of the cloth.

6. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

My experience mostly mirrors Cobra 6's. Couldn't find large-size, made of high-quality, 100% cotton. Last time looked, REI's were 22" x 22". And most I've bought various places last few years, cotton tissue-thin, even after repeated washings. So, sourced own fabric, and wife graciously consented to drag sewing machine out and play seamstress.

7. jetfixr

jetfixr Empty Pockets

Several places make cotton 'Wild Rags". This is typical working cowboy wear in much of the western U.S. While silk is typical cotton can be found. Search for cotton wild rag. They are usually around a square yard, but larger can be had.

xbanker and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  8. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

I was just going to make a new post on this but i think this is a good home for my information.

I was looking for a non tactical shemagh for walks/runs in the park. I sweat a lot and a shemagh type covering would be perfect.

But, I'm a bigger guy and more than heavily tattooed so its important for me to not wear tactical looking gear when im walking/running in public because i can make people very nervous. I also have a pretty aggressive running stance so that's not helpful.

I couldn't find anything that fit what i needed so i searched instead for the specs instead of a name. i searched for 44x44 inch hemmed cotton and i found out that baby swaddles are pretty much the exact same as a shemagh but they come in better cotton weaves (muslin) and are usually lightweight blends. They also come in very public friendly patterns.

48xs48 seems to be the default measurement as well.

Any way, a simple search for "cotton swaddle" should net you some good options.

Hope this helps!

xbanker and Adam Ng like this.
  9. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Now if you could just find patterns with Dora or Barney nobody would think you're threatening. Maybe nuts...:bounce:

docer likes this.
  10. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

I found one with baby hedgehogs on it! Close enough? hahaha

Sly likes this.
  11. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

docer

Good catch! Thanks for sharing.

12. antibacterial

antibacterial Loaded Pockets

Well....there's hobohanky.com that seem to make what your after.

There's a more shemagh like version and a jumbo bandana version (aka a Kerchief).