1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ballistic Protection EDC/Laptop bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by egp, Nov 7, 2018.

1. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Ok, that's what I'm looking for. I was looking at the Alpha One Niner Recon laptop bag, I like the look of it. But, what I'd like to find is one that incorporates the following: A bullet resistant panel, CCW ability, and a water bottle pouch. Anyone got any ideas? Or, maybe Alpha One Niner can see this and consider that idea.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

A lot of bags have a full width pocket for paper and files or CCW which can easily take a Ballistic Plate that will slide right in.

In fact I am not sure that I have any bags that do not have such a pocket?

So a flat plate where any other flat things would sit would seem to do the job if I understand it correctly.

ran23 likes this.
  3. RED-FIVE

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hey egp,
    Passing on some intel...
    As of last Friday 11/2/18 - Helm is going to make that happen for the Evade 2.0 pack (may also have options for Evade 1.0 as well).

He announced options for an NIJ IIIA insert for the rear CCW compartment in this post:
    Update on Evade 2.0 and start of the wait list...........

#3 RED-FIVE, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking more of a soft plate, but not something that would be exposed. I'd want it to be in between the material, perhaps instead of any filler material. What I'm thinking, (if you look at the Recon bag online), as soft IIIA panel between the front pockets and the inside area, with the ability have a CCW pocket to the rear. I'd like the CCW as more of an option, as that's not practical for everyone. But, in today's world, a IIIA panel inside there would be something a lot of people would want.

5. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

I saw that, but I don't want a backpack, it's not really practical for me to carry.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am not sure exactly how this changes what I offered really?

Many bags have both a rear CCW area and another spot for flat papers and stuff so it would be the exact same thing really.

Also any computer compartment will easily hold both a computer and ballistic plates probably whether soft or hard.

7. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

I don't want the ballistic panel to be visible if someone looks in the bag, too many questions could get raised. I'm looking at this for myself and my wife, my wife works at the airport and goes through security multiple times per day carrying a laptop bag. It gets opened and checked.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

OK but all I am suggesting is that any bag that would accept a hard plate will surely accept a soft one even more easily.

Also I have to ask how or why passive protection would raise any issues going through Security anyway?

Anyway I have some Maratac bags for instance that use a stiffener panel in between sections in separate sleeve compartments where the stiffener could be exchanged for whatever ballistic plate that will strike your fancy and fit.
    I know there re others with the same basic construction.

9. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Call it, over abundance of caution.

10. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

So a quick Google search comes up with this Vertx & Premier Body Armor collaboration:

https://premierbodyarmor.com/collections/vertx-bags-and-panels-combos/products/armored-edc-courier-kit

[​IMG]

Or this from Armored Mobility:
    https://www.armoredmobility.com/Products_Armored_Bags.aspx

Which seems to be what you are looking for.

Alternatively, as EZ suggests, you could take a soft armor insert from someone like Premier and insert it into any pack. The plate is covered in cordura so it would look like the lining fabric. Just turn the branded side toward the true lining.

Example, this is my REI laptop messenger bag (that I'll be selling ;) ). The back panel ( the side that rest directly against your body) has this pocket for a magazine or something similar (with a bottom opening to pass the handle of rolling luggage through). You could easily slide a sheet in, have it look completely natural, and still have functionality of the pocket... To the point someone would have to intentionally pull the fabric back and pick at the edge of the lining to find it.

Loose measurements would put the PBA 14" x 10.5" plate a near perfect seam-to-seam fit (both horizontally and vertically (including extending above the zipper)) in the REI bag for example.

[​IMG]

#10 swedishelite22, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    egp likes this.
  11. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I like that Premier Body Armor Bag, I tad pricey, but that's along the lines of what I'm looking for

swedishelite22 likes this.