1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bailout Bag Recommendations?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by lowes48, Dec 30, 2009.

1. lowes48

lowes48 Loaded Pockets

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a BOB for my truck/house. I don't plan on trying to fit everything plus the kitchen sink, just the necessities according to me, so the bag I'll most likey choose will not need to be huge. I like the BOB from LA Police Gear and the price seems reasonable enough. What are the peanut gallery's thoughts? Thanks in advance and Happy New Year!

2. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

Figure out what you want to carry, see how much stuff it is, and then decide on what bag to carry it in.

3. Gödel_Fan

Gödel_Fan Loaded Pockets

I prefer the County Comm XL version, myself, if you are in the US of A. It's amazing what disappears into that bag.

I don't know if LAPG ever cloned the larger version. I imagine if they did it'd probably be all right too.

4. unterhund

unterhund Empty Pockets

LAPG has a Jumbo BOB now. The pocket layout is different, and to my eye, somewhat better. But I don't actually own one, so I can't say for sure.

5. RobertRogers

RobertRogers Empty Pockets

It's going to depend on your environment too. In Southern Cal, for example, you may not need as much gear (especially cold weather gear) than in northern Maine.

6. zeke66

zeke66 Loaded Pockets

I've got the BoB from LAPG. It holds a lot of stuff. Very well made. At $19.99, it's a steal.

7. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

I own both the XL LA Police Gear BOB and the County Comm XL BOB and love them both.
    The big differences between them are that the pockets of the LAPG BOB has more internal pockets than the CC BOB. This allows better small gear organization. As for materials and construction, both are built to survive WW3 (or anything beyond). The LAPG BOB has a layer of foam incorporated into its walls, making it a lot stiffer than the CC bag (nice when it's empty, but that's an aesthetics thing) The front outside pockets on the CC BOB seal down tighter than the LAPG BOB (It's like LAPG expected them to be constantly overstuffed with large things) I don't like that, because smaller things could slip out if the bag gets inverted. The bottle pockets on both BOBs will hold a full 2 liter bottle (though the LAPG will be a tighter fit.) when empty I like the ability of the LAPG bag's bottle pockets to close up, wish they did this in the CC BOB's pockets. On the back of the bags, the LAPG has 2 large zipper pockets, both will hold a large paperback and then some. The CC BOB has a flashlight pocket at the bottom (it'll hold a 3-4 D cell mag light) and the upper pocket will hold a single mid-sized paperback novel. The CC bag has a hidden velcro pocket in front (document pocket), the LAPG has the same pocket in front plus one in back and they put velcro loop material so you could place holsters (or other gear holders) inside these pockets.
    Both bags are over 1100 cubic inches in capacity (main compartment) so they should hold your gear very well.

Hope this helps.

8. lowes48

lowes48 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the posts guys, especially Protag's detail! I made a list of general stuff I would include that ranges from a small first aid kit to spare AR mags and handgun mags. Other items include: paracord, fire starters, gps, pen and paper, flashlights, water bottle, multitool, etc... No big items so the bag could be duffle size or smaller. I think I'll go with the LAPG BOB due to it's cost and compartment variety, but other similar options that any of you feel are better would be considered as well. Happy new year!

9. QtrHorse

QtrHorse Loaded Pockets

protaganis does the XL LA Police BOB have that plastic type lining on the inside like their small BOB does? I have the County Comm XL BOB and it does not have that cheap feeling plastic liner anywhere on or inside the bag.

I do wish the County Comm BOB had female velcro on the inside of the hidden compartment and had more internal organizers inside.

10. protaganis

The answer is yes... and no.
    They use the plastic lining at the top of the bag, on the "front" they have nylon mesh zipper pouches and the "back" they have the slick nylon with AR mag sized pockets. On the sides there's female velcro so you can place the divider how you'd like.
    Hope that explains it decently.

Lowes48, I think you'll like the bag, it'll fit everything you've mentioned thus far with room to spare. My biggest issue is that I tend to over-pack the bag.

Happy New Year and many to come :luck:

11. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

You guys got me to check out their "LA Police Gear Jumbo Bail Out Bag". Price is incredible and once I looked closer in the interior and other details, very familiar.

Looked at one of my bags and figured -- either Endom and MilitaryMoron knocked-off their TNT bag design from this bag from LAPG or vise versa. Alright, we all know the answer to that -- got to give LAPG credit for just copying 3/4's of the Endom TNT -- the side multi-pouch layout looks like something from Maxpedition.

I'm just passing on an observation.

12. protaganis

As long as I can wind up with reasonably priced, good quality gear, I don't mind who it comes from. That is a niche that most gear manufacturers ignore. My wife would KILL me if I dropped $150 on a bag, so I gotta make every dollar count

Gotta live within that budget (or win the lottery ;))

13. zeke66

zeke66 Loaded Pockets

protaganis: I thought the same thing about the pockets on the LAPG bag until I discovered that the velcro flaps come off from the back. They're actually velcroed to the bag in the rear, making them fully adjustable. After I discovered this, (took me several weeks to notice it, lol) I find the two outer "AR-15 mag" pockets much more useable.

14. apollo

apollo Loaded Pockets

+1 on the County comm BOB.

15. fshram76

fshram76 Loaded Pockets

I have a VooDoo Bail Out Bag I bought at MajorSurplus.com; extremely well made, and there are a couple sizes. I have the jumbo in black. It has a couple sections and riggings to add things to it. I carry a lot of stuff in mine...

16. patches152

patches152 Loaded Pockets

i live in norcal, soon to be reno...and i'm gonna second the advice about organizing your gear and equipment, figure out how much room you need THEN shop for a pack. no point in getting a bag that's WAY too big or too small, etc.

my personal preference is having a series of small packs or pockets. then one main pack, and the rest of 'em strap and clip onto the main pack. that way i can add more packs if i need more storage, and i can take them off if they're not needed. another benefit is being able to organize "must have" equipment into easily accessible locations. even go as far as having an E&E pack available in case something happens and you gotta split and a lighter load is necessary.

17. morglan

morglan Loaded Pockets

After a lot of research (and a few different BOBs that I sold off w/out using) I picked up a CC EOD bag and then moved up to the CC XL EOD bag. I like the idea of being able to use whatever pouches I need on the bag without being confined to the pockets permanently attached to the various BOBs.

Then again, my route does get more expensive.

18. protaganis

Yours may well be a more advanced bag than mine. Mine has the flaps all stitched in place. I'm jealous!

As for bag sizes (all measurements for main compartment only)
    CC BOB - 1287 cubic inches (12x16.5x6.5)
    LAPG BOB - 1568 cubic inches (14x16x7)

I do agree that a custom bag is nice, and I do have one loaded for range and camping emergencies (Med kit, Ammo, Cleaning Kit, Rations, Water Purifier and basic survival gear). But my wife would kill me if I made another so soon, you can only justify making them every once in a while and I have 3 bags, 2 of which are every day (or at least a couple times a week) use.

19. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I use the CC XL BOB as my laptop bag, and it works very well. It holds everything I need it to hold, keeps it well organized, and looks brand new.