1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bags great quirks and features

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jay-uk, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Following on from the Bad quirks thread, what small usable feature really makes you go back to your go to bag/pack ?

I love my pacsafe cross body for urban close up small carry
    I can wear it under a coat and the RFID pockets and zip fasteners really need to be featured on more packs

#1 Jay-uk, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Internal storage/organization.

Myrddraal likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Internal PALS grid and/or multiple attachment points for accessories..ie for hanging a MOLLE Panel or Lock and Load style pouches.

Mike

WillAdams likes this.
  4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

A full-height admin panel.

My previous backpack (TNF Jester) had an admin panel in just the lower half of the bag. As anything put in the main compartment also ended up at the bottom (gravity is funny like that...!) the bag could be mostly empty and still as fat at the bottom as if completely full. My current bag (Osprey Quasar 28) spreads its admin load across the full height of the bag and so is much slimmer when only part-loaded.

5. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

Side grab handles on a pack with a back panel/frame. Makes moving it around so nice.

pks likes this.
  6. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Beavertails
    High contrast linings
    Velcro organisation
    Sensible use of slik-clips

It's nothing particularly groundbreaking but I do like the 'Flashlight Caves' in the FAST Packs- With a gear retractor clipped to the D-ring, it can be handy for accessing a torch whilst walking.

7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Side pockets. Why some bags don't utilize the side space I don't understand. I love the big side pockets on my Rush 24. No big side pockets on my Javelin, but it does have a neat mini-admin pocket on one side.

Of course, clam shell opening, as some of the comments, including mine in the bad quirks thread were about bags that didn't. I love having immediate access to all my gear without having to dig blindly through the bottom of the bag.

8. topazbullet

topazbullet Loaded Pockets

Roll tops with a lengthwise zipper to access stuff without unrolling. I don't understand why larger roll tops don't include this by default. The Apex XL by ILE does it well.

9. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Doesn't a zipper on a rolltop defeat the purpose of the rolltop altogether?

10. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

The Kifaru Antero features a clamshell style opening; but they use 4 reversible zippers, so you can actually open the pack from the bottom and access the stuff on the bottom of the pack.

#10 Bobby Leang, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    MikeM likes this.
  11. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I really like packs to have:
    1) Side water bottle pockets sized to fit a 1L Nalgene or similar
    2) A padded laptop sleeve
    3) A beavertail
    4) A really good admin section
    5) Bottom straps for securing a bedroll etc., or at least webbing loops to secure them

BTG108 likes this.
  12. pks

pks Loaded Pockets

+1 on the side grab handle(s). Getting in and out of a car from the driver seat, it's great to be able to move a bag onto/away from the passenger side seat.

13. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

Okay, I'll play:

Kind of a half bag quirk that drives me crazy/feature that I like.

Goruck bags. The fatter straps on the 21L GR-0 I don't like. I dunno why. Rubs me the wrong way. *BUUUT* those SAME straps are on the narrow, vertical 15L Bullet. I LOVE those same straps on the bullet. I dunno why they didn't go with the thinner straps of the Echo for the bullets, but the wider straps totally work. They convey to me that the bullets are just as tough as the regular GR's.

That being said, anybody know what the possible weight limit is for the top carry handle of the bullets? They're not robust like the other squarish GR's but I asked Goruck and the particular representative vaguely answered my question......

14. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

I hate the flaps that go over the zippers on some bags. All they're good for is getting the zipper stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. EFX

EFX Loaded Pockets

I don't really want to use backpacks now unless they have a clamshell opening. It's so useful. Also good padded straps.

16. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I found the 21L GR1 to be very uncomfortable as well, where as the GR2 I found really comfy. In my case I think it was because at the attachment at the top of the ruck, the GR1 straps were much closer together than the GR2, so they dug into my neck. I assume the placement on the bullet is also close together though since it's a narrow pack but I dunno. For me thought that's why the GR1 didn't pan out for me.