1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bags, bags, bags, bags, bags... how many do you have and what needs do they fill?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by carrot, Jan 29, 2014.

1. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Let's be frank!, is it the wife, or the bag?

Gary Gross likes this.
  2. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

No doubt she is on the forum and this post is for her, what's the Valentines Day plan now?

3. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

I have paired down my collection quite a bit over the past year. Sold most of my Maxpedition stuff here on the forum. I currently have.

Kelty Redwing 50, used as my Bug Out Bag.
    Maxpedition Vulture II Wife's BOB
    Blackhawk Tactical Handbag, was my EDC but I just ordered a Vanquest Möbius from here and that will become my EDC. I will use the Blackhawk bag as my birding bag. It will fit my bins and my field guides, along with a few other things perfect.
    Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II, it is my woods bag for day trips or one nighters.
    Condor engineers bag, I use this as my possibles bag for my Ruger GSR. Holds mags, extra ammo, tools, cleaning kit.
    I have an off brand range bag that I have had for years that holds my range stuff, ears, eyes, mags, ammo, etc.

My family all have BOBs
    My daughters is a Kelty Coyote pack
    My oldest step son has a LA Police gear 3 day assault pack
    Younger step son has a Kelty Redwing 50
    Youngest son will carry the Pygmy Falcon II if we need to bug out. He also has an Osprey kids pack but he is out growing it.

I gave my oldest step son a Maxpedition Sitka 3 years ago. He still uses it for EDC.

4. Xader

Xader EDC Junkie

I only have a few at any given time. I generally sell one and replace it with another.

Right now, I have:
    • Falcon II for a hunting/outdoors pack.
    • Vanquest Envoy as my EDC bag (which replaced a Mongo, which itself replaced a Jumbo EDC)
    • I'm expecting a Hazard 4 Rocket in the mail today for an urban/vacation carry/car bag. I've been without one since I sold my Monsoon last year.

5. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

Kelty 50 is my EDC in the car pack. Bigger than most EDC to be sure, but carries what I need and can carry extra stuff when the need arises. Very comfortable in use.

Pantagonia 32L Refugio, main day hike bag, can also carry upto a 17" laptop. Very useful

Osprey Porter 46, nice sized travel/airline carry-on compatible pack. More of a duffel with backpack straps. Designed well enough for easy carry. Pack straps can be stowed in thier own compartment so they do not get soiled or catch on anything.

REI Oulook 40L, a bigger hiking pack. Also can double for short trip pack and is airline carry on compatible.

Packs I'm looking at, the SERT 32L sold in the EDC store. I've read reviews and looked the pictures and that pack might be good enough to replace the 32L Pantagonia. That pack would go to my wife who needs a bigger than her current 20L bag, and the Pantagonia is airline carry-on compatible pack.

6. traildigger

traildigger Loaded Pockets

Oh boy. I've never listed them all down in one place, so this may be interesting......

Tasmanian Tiger Mission Go Bag: Mainly my travel backpack. Fits in overhead compartment in planes fyi.
    Maxpedition Malaga: Usually unpacked and ready for use as my day bag for outings with the family. ie: Disneyland, zoo, etc....
    USMC ILBE pack: given to me for free for volunteering for 3 days at a stand down last year. Plan was for a BOB, but holy smokes, more room than needed, and heavy. sits empty
    USMC Assault Pack for ILBE Pack: pretty much sits empty. have never used.
    Jtech Operation Irene backpack (Now called the Jar Head): Used at work for an extra set of clothes, cliff bars, etc. Tossed on the engine for the shift. Love this little backpack
    Jtech Jaunty 1 B4: My "glovebox" for my truck. Insurance, registration, garage door opener, etc. come with me in/out of the house. nothing to steal overnight.
    Red Rock Assault Pack (MaxP PFII clone): Usually stuffed with coyote hunting stuff
    King ' S Outdoor Gear Core Hunter Backpack in snow camo. Also for coyote hunting.
    CountyComm EOD Utility Bag: GHB. Only have about 5-6 mile walk home, so not much I need to carry. Couple waters, cliff bars, socks, cordage, etc.
    Old Camelbak Rim Runner II: Camping/hiking day pack
    Milspecmonkey Adapt Pack: Arrived!! Will be mostly used as a bit larger replacement for the MaxP Malaga. Probably see some edc use to/from work as well.
    FSS "Red Bag": Stays packed with enough clothes and essentials to keep me clean for 14 days.

I feel like I'm missing one, but maybe not. Anyways. I guess my bag fetish isn't as bad as some folks here, so that makes me feel better. Or worse? I don't know. All I know, is the guys at work all call me Dora.

Edit to add the USMC Assault Pack. I knew I was missing one. lol

Last edited by traildigger, Aug 11, 2014
  7. Chimyz

Chimyz Loaded Pockets

Thanks to all for sharing, I don't feel that bad anymore:

Goruck GR1 - Old EDC, one of my favourites and go to every now and then
    Goruck GR2 - Old travel bag, a bit too big for EDC, but great for weekend getaways
    Goruck Civvy Kit Bag - my suitcase (if you can call it that?)
    Condor Sling Bag - Current EDC (but not too happy about the quality and storage solutions)
    5.11 Moab 10 - Old EDC, too small for Fall, Winter and Spring use
    Seal Line - Old backpack, not sure what the name is?

I'm still searching for the perfect pack. The GR1 comes close, but it would be great if it was a tad bigger (30-35 L) and had a little more organization. Something between the GR1 and GR2 would be great...maybe a GR1.5.

I am tempted to get an Arcteryx Khard 30. It looks like it would work well. The other ones would be the Mystery Ranch 3 day assault or Camelbacks version. I need help, both with my problem and with which pack to get next.

Heavyduti and F-Bobby like this.
  8. F-Bobby

F-Bobby EDC Junkie

LOL I totally forgot I have this bag too..... It's on loan to a friend.

I never had a problem with the quality. The Design could use some work though. and I agree about the storage solutions. I think they went CRAZY on the small mesh pockets inside.

9. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

I'm trying to talk myself out of the Khard, I haven't seen one in the flesh but the 30 looks like the 'perfect' size. How many times have I said that???

10. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

I feel the same way about my GR1. It's almost what I want, I just need a bit more organization inside it. Someone suggest a Tom Bihn Snake Charmer, waiting on it to get delivered to see if it does the trick for me.

11. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

If you will fi
    If you will find that perfect pack then your excitement is done in this forum!:)

12. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

That's what we all say in the bag therapy support group

13. Slumber

Slumber Loaded Pockets

I own ONE bag, my Spec Ops Messenger Bag. It has two small zippered pockets, two pen slots, and a large main compartment. That's it and I really have enjoyed how simple it is. I carry it for work and quick trips. For me, less is more. She was also made right here in my home state of Texas.

14. Chimyz

Chimyz Loaded Pockets

Less is more, unless you NEED to EDC:
    Helmet
    Safety glasses
    2 pair of gloves
    First aid
    Mini Dopp kit
    Extra socks
    Extra outfit
    Lunch
    Rain jacket and pants
    Laptop
    Misc, pens, paper, knives, etc.
    water, water and more water

Unfortunately the weight of what I carry is no good for a messenger bag. Never liked messenger bags anyways.

Got an update...I picked up a 5.11 all hazards prime today. 32 litres with good organization. I hope this one works out. The more I looked t the Arcteryx Khard, the more I thought it is not going to work.

GatorMedic likes this.
  15. Rilock4

Rilock4 Loaded Pockets

I have three currently, 2 are Swiss gear and 1 is the rush 12. I am looking at pacsafe bags right now.

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bump to mergify

17. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Mergified!

F-Bobby likes this.
  18. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

How do you find it best to sell your bags? How do you figure out a price?

19. Xader

Xader EDC Junkie

Honestly, I should have used b/s/t on here, but I did them all through ebay.

As for pricing, you can do an advanced ebay search that show only items that successfully sold. I try to price competitively within that range.

steeps likes this.
  20. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'm now the proud owner of a timbuk2 messenger bag. I needed it, I really did. I just can't get on with so much stuff in my pockets most of which I don't need on a daily basis. I've a punisher pry tool on my keyring (another new purchase!!!) but after my gerber MT jabbed me in the groin again I thought enough was enough, and it had really limited use and couldn't do what I needed it to do (in fairness I'm not any multitool could have done). I doff my cap to those with full pockets but it isn't for me. Plus any paperwork was getting all sweaty and torn in my pockets too.

But back to the bag. The Velcro is loud - really loud in a quiet bank for example but it can swallow a massive amount of stuff - I had a laptop, iPad and loads of other stuff too. The layout is good and and it seems well made. I'm trying to get used to dipping into for stuff without feeling like my mum dipping into her hand bag but that's down to me and not the bag!