1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bag Watching Nirvana......The Airport!

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Motorman, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

Took a trip last week via Chicago O'Hare Airport, and what did I realize? Holy cow! If you are into bags like many of us who are stricken with this disease, a large airport is the place to be. I found myself not even too interested (well not too) in the lovely ladies. There were interesting bags all over the place. Some observations.

Sling Bags: Very few sling bags at the airport. I don't know if they haven't caught on for carry-on, or people have found that they just don't work well (too heavy) for all the carry-on junk we might take, i.e.. laptops, tablets, etc. etc.

Backpacks: Still very popular, but tend to be overloaded (to avoid checked bag charges) and too chubby to fit in the overhead bins. Tactical backpacks tend to be somewhat regional to military facilities, i.e.. Little Rock, AR. happened to have a large number of uniformed and non-uniformed carrying tactical backpacks (perhaps making connections for training or deployment?). Many backpacks appear to be trendy brands, Swiss Army, North Face, etc.

Rollerboards: Still the most popular method of airport transport. Sometimes difficult to believe the size of these for carry-on. I didn't know that some of these aircraft have expandable overhead bins!

So excited about airport bag watching that I can't wait for my next trip in September.
    What do you think? Is it a terminal case of bagitius? Is there a cure?

BTW, my bag of choice was my new Hazard 4 Evac Take Down. Due to it's black color and slim design it worked great. If you don't mind the narrow folding of your clothes I managed to fit enough for a five day trip. Added bonus, since it is so thin it easily fit in the over-head bin of a regional jet.

Mester, Trickster, 70dart and 4 others like this.
  2. Gorram

Gorram Loaded Pockets

This post hit too many points.... LOL, Almost lost control at the "expandable overhead bin" bit.

My home port: CYYC

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I used to love going to the airport with my Dad to people watch. Can't really do that much now. We also lived next to Will Rogers Airport, and now I live 45 minutes from the closest one.

Sent by Owl Post

4. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I was in and out of O'Hare last week and I'm there frequently as I live in the Chicagoland area and travel from time to time. You might have had a TARFU sighting and didn't even know it. If you spied a tall dude with a Tom Bihn carry-on travel bag being worn as a backpack then that might have been me. :D

5. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

Hey Tarfu,
    Didn't see anything as interesting as your Bihn backpack or you....
    Although I would like to meet you sometime. You do great reviews!

6. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Which bag or bags do you have of Tom Bihn's?

7. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Synapse 25
    Smart Alec
    Packing Cube Backpack

But, the bag I was carrying through O'Hare was a prototype of a travel bag that I'm field testing. I'm sworn to secrecy on that one - sorry. ;)

8. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Likewise. I'm thinking a Chicago area EDCF gathering is probably in order but unfortunately I'm too buried to arrange one. Perhaps someone here will take the initiative and make it happen.

9. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Believe it or not and now that you've mentioned it, the airport terminal was the precedent of my bag affection. You see, people travelling by air would perhaps bring their best of the best from messenger to packs to rollers. Each time, a roller has to go with something small. The bag shop is one of my priority to check if there's time to browse prior to boarding and everytime I peek in, there's always something interesting to buy, trouble is nothing will be tactical looking but I did notice some with "discreet" looks. The catch is, if you bring a simple bag, there's always another one bringing something you think is better than yours. So far, I've been confident lugging my victorinox and Timbuk2 messengers but unfortunately no investment on a good looking roller to compliment. Next trip will be the turn for my tactical but then I'm wary on the scrutiny, hopefully nothing unusual on the checks.

10. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

"Terminal case" heh heh. Terminal.......

11. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

So true about the bag watching at the airport. Flew from SEA to HNL yesterday. I was so engrossed in the bag viewing I almost bumped into people. Saw only one guy with a tacti-cool look and it was somebody rocking a H4 pack. I couldn't get a closer look but you know that boxy H4 "look" to their packs.

I was torn between my Kato and the MSM adapt pack for my carry-on. Adapt pack won out due to the larger carry capacity.(this is how bad the EDC sickness is though, I managed to convince my wife to smuggle the Kato in her check-in luggage ;)) But I think I'll use the Kato on the return trip.

Adapt pack is *perfect* airplane carry. Used to use a TAD EDC pack. Filled out, it would sometimes snag going in the overhead bin, especially with the OP-1 attached to the transporter tail. Adapt pack even with all the attached pouches I put really is a small-to-medium frame. No problem stowing away.

In the main compartment I managed to put: rolled up anorak, spare underwear, spare t-shirt, netbook laptop, bag of jerky, and a hoodie.

12. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

An H4 pack?, your boiling my anxiety now, that must be the boxy looking Switchback well carried out by the business guy in their front ads. Yes, I've been itching on this if not for the price. Hopefully I don't encounter someone with such least few hundred dollars will bleed again. The Kato would be small for trip survival but its good you had it ride along as they are still usefull on quick walks.

13. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

It was a small frame milspec monkey type guy too. Had the waist belt and everything. Sunglasses too. (Inside the airport in overcast Pac NW?) Black tee shirt tucked into brown cargo shorts. Now that I think about it, he seemed pretty obvious about the "tactic-cool" look.

14. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Then maybe you've encountered the MSM guy!, either him or a copycat!, wait till I get my turn, just can't decide which bag to go.

15. switchblade906

switchblade906 Loaded Pockets

Ill be flying on Sep. 12th from Orlando FL to Escanaba MI and will be using my Rush 24 for my Carry on bag. I dont really care about the whole tactical look because I always fly with firearms anyway lol (they are in the checked bags though).