1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bag "Shapers"?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by GigantorTX, Jul 31, 2014.

1. GigantorTX

GigantorTX Loaded Pockets

I've been working on my loadouts for my EDC and car bags and I had a random thought. Has anybody come across/made something that helps keep your bag in it's designed shape? This probably isn't makeing much sense, so I'll try to elaborate. Picture a bag on display. It could be stuffed with newspaper or some other material that fills out the bag's designed shape. Now picture a bag with no filler. It's a flat shapeless mess. For example, my car bag is a Fieldline Tactical knockoff of a Rush 72. The outer section is full, as are some of the interior pouches in the large main compartment. However, the main compartment is mostly empty. I end up having to crank the straps down to keep it from flopping all over the place, which then makes it a pain to get in and out of the main section. I don't want to stuff it full of gear for no reason as I tend to keep some extra space in my bags so I have room to stuff something if necessary.

What I'm picturing in my head, is some sort of reinforcement (plastic?) that would be inserted around the edges of the bag to help it hold it's shape. I could then tighten the straps if needed, but would still be able to get inside the main compartment if necessary. It could also help prevent gear from being crushed or damaged by things in other compartments/pockets.

I can't be the only one that's thought about something along these lines?

2. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe something from Camera bags, i have a TNF Surge backpack and in that i´ve put a insert from a ThinkTank Citywalker 10 at the bottom, it helps the bag to stand up even if it´s empty coz of the flat surface underneath. Often i have the camera and an additional lens is it and it´s just getting better with that.

vinniec5 likes this.
  3. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

You want a Plastic panel insert for the ILBE Assault pack, you could trim it to fit your bag as the USMC pack has a sleeve that the panel fits in to help the bag hold its shape
    Check this on that famous auction site 191024498169 he sells them Surplus

The M5 medic pack has a zipper edge panel that holds a plastic loop that runs the whole circumference of the bag to hold the bags semi oval shape.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  4. CANNIBALdinner.

CANNIBALdinner. Loaded Pockets

Not sure if this will help.....but an old trick we do with our OD issue duffle bags is to take the foam, roll up sleeping mat, and insert it in the bag first so it helps keep the bags shape. You can find the old army issue PT / sleeping mats at any surplus store and probably online for cheap. They wouldn't be too hard to cut to size for whatever pack you decided to use it in either. [​IMG]

Anyway, it's an idea!

Epilektos, atilano and vinniec5 like this.
  5. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

I'm not 100% positive but I think Blackhawk! made an internal pack frame for a while. Not sure if they still do

6. Jerry L

Jerry L EDC Junkie!!!!!

Maybe some pvc pipe and fittings.Make a frame thats just press fit together that fits in the bag.

7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Simple solution.. Kydex, a Heat Gun, and some chicago screws or rivets. If you have never worked with Kydex, it's easy to form once you have it heated. Get a box or something the size of the inside of your bag, purchase the correct thickness of kydex you want (it actually comes in thicknesses up to .5" or 12.70mm) and heat the edges so it molds around the outside of your makeshift mold. Once you are done, you can drill several holes down one side and rivet it or use chicago screws to connect the ends. You can even form a "bottom" that can be similarly riveted into place. You now have a container that is removable, washable, and will hold up over time. Kydex is relatively inexpensive as well. I would consider the .08", .093, or .125" thicknesses, any of these should be thick enough for most EDC size packs without taking up a lot of room.

AlgoOPC, powerring and vinniec5 like this.
  8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

SAM Splint. :D Dual purpose ;)

Epilektos, vinniec5 and FL Woods Bum like this.
  9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I am thinking:
    1. You can pretty much kiss any waterproof coating that makes contact with the edges/corners of the kydex good bye in a hurry. Not because they would be particularly sharp, but they would act like pressure points against the bag material and it would see abraision from constant motion/shifting. Granted the Fieldline might not be the most expensive bag on the shelf, but it probably shouldn't be considered disposable either.
    2. Not sure what you would call a thermoplastic cow bell, but I expect that what will be formed by the kydex shell and any hard materials not firmly secured down. Kydex sheaths are silent because their contents are immobolized under tension. In a large kydex container that just might not be practical.
    ATB,
    Sam

Last edited by indigo_wolf, Jul 31, 2014
  10. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Valid thoughts for sure. Although I am sure both could be addressed with some effort. Off the top of my head I could easily see foam stripping tape being used to "soften" the corners, etc.. to keep them from being so abrasive. As to the large "cowbell", I agree, items should be well insulated. With that said, I insulate hard objects in my bag that doesn't have a "shaper" in it, that's just a good practice either way as it protects your gear from damage and unnecessary noise.

[​IMG]

11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I guess the effort for the ROI is my concern....especilly if you decide you need to go from Kydex to soft pack while out and about.

For those scenarios... either upgrading the stock Fieldline frameshee with an Airbeam.

or pairing your bag with a TrekPad insert seems more attractive.

TrekPak was Kickstarter funded in 2012 and is now a retail operation. While links are verboten, the website is just a Google Search away. On the website, the product of interest are the inserts which are called Rollipaks (as the inserts roll up when not in use).

ATB,
    Sam

powerring and FL Woods Bum like this.
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use the light blue pads sold at Walmart as sleeping bag pads in the camping section. They are cheap and easily cut and under 1/2 " thick.
    I cut them to act as a bottom and run up the sides a little bit too.

The pad acts to cushion the bag bottom and pad it for computers and other things and it also will give the bag some structure even when empty which seems to be the goal here?

Funny thing is that most seem to want the empty bag as slim as possible thus the designs with compression straps to cinch a bag smaller as it is emptied,not the opposite as wanted here.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  13. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

I have a trekpak- its pretty cool.

Have had it in a few packs - and it does a good job of protecting and separating gear.
    mostly its for test gear and Light meters for work.
    In this pic you can see - it takes some trial and error to set up the way you like.
    [​IMG]

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can't believe I have not seen this before?
    I am ordering one for my 1510 Today and maybe some to play with too. It is pricey for sure but just another tool too.

Thanks
    Ed

15. GigantorTX

GigantorTX Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the great responses! I think the RolliPak is close to the exact concept I was looking for, but I don't know if that will work with a limited budget. It gives me a place to start my DIY adventure though.

EZDog, I like your suggestion as well. That is another direction I could look for ideas. I'm not necessarily looking to have a "full" bag at all times, but I think giving the bag a little more shape could be useful. I'm really just bouncing ideas around in my head until I decide how I want all my gear set up and I thought I would throw it out to the crowd who has more experience with these matters than I do.

Whatever I do, I'll get some pictures up. Hopefully somebody else can benefit from all of this too.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  16. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Fill the bag full?

Edit: Just saw that you don't want a full bag at all times. You might try putting a Yoga block, or something similar, in the bottom of the bag for some lightweight fill.

17. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

trekpak isn't cheap but it does a good job.

I have not put one in my 1510- I will admit to making something similar with
    plastic duo core- which is basically corrugated plastic.

really I use it like someone carrying camera gear would-
    Im carrying very similar gear -minus the camera.

compared to the cost of the meters/testers etc the cost of the insert
    to get some additional protection was well worth it.

AlgoOPC and vinniec5 like this.
  18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Me too!
    I have used duo-core and currently have Kata cut to fit partitions in one but they are not as strong or as uniform or reconfigurable as this system looks to me?
    I also carry test gear and meters between the 1510 and a Case Cruzer built on an SKB 1510 copy but I am always looking for a more permanent yet flexible answer to a constantly changing loadout too.

vinniec5 and nyckmc like this.
  19. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

here is a crap cel phone pic of the 1510-
    takes up less room then a foam and velcro style insert
    makes me think I will eventually order a trekpak for the pelican as well.
    [​IMG]

EZDog and vinniec5 like this.
  20. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

That Tredpak looks like a winner. what holds it in place?