1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bag organization

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Fort fireman, Mar 23, 2015.

1. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I keep a Maxped Falcon II, in my truck, as a GHB. I do use Ziploc bags in it to save weight and price. How often do I access it? Not very often. There's a pair of gloves in there I use from time to time, but that's it. The FAK is in a quart zip, most of the clothing is in a gallon zip, and I've got spare zips, and a contractor bag in there as well. I did buy some Huffy tool organizer bags from Home Depot that I keep things in. They come in a three pack, and they're very flat, fill well, and yet keep you from overfilling. There largest is a wilderness survival kit, the medium sort of a miscellaneous kit, and the smallest I keep shotgun shells. Of course, there are other things in the GHB.

In my present EDC bag, a Maxped EDC Versipack that will likely change in the near future, I use two Mini EDC organizers and a Micro. One Mini is an Anker Battery Charger and related items, another is tool stuff (LM Wave, bits, lighter, paracord, tape, zipties, etc), and the Micro is the office compartment. I originally bought the Micro for something else that didn't fit in it, and so I've never found great use for it. I do wish all the EDC bags were made of that lighter Cordura.

There's a Maxpedition EDC Organizer (the original) under the rear seat of my truck that has some mechanic's tools. I've always gone back and forth on stowing that in the GHB. Finally, I have a Eagle Creek Quarter Cube that I keep a Belkin travel surge protector, USB extension cable, Targus USB multiport, and some other technology items.

I like the present EDC bag because I could abandon ship and flee, by foot, with my GHB and EDC rather easily. However, the practicality of my present EDC bag as a daily office bag is minimal. It won't store my tablet. It doesn't hold reference texts well. The three organizers I've got weigh it down. It works exceedingly well for Disney World trips, however. I think my next EDC bag will be a Vertx Gamut, and I'll likely use one of the Maxped Mini and an Eagle Creek Quarter Cube or two.

2. inkb0t

inkb0t Loaded Pockets

I love the 'fishing style' plastic boxes for their custom compartments.. My only issue with those is rattle. I hate the rattle of all the stuff I put inside... may have found a solution. Pics to follow when they arrive.

Cheeser likes this.
  3. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I was about to suggest those anti slip silicone mats, but I'll wait and see your idea :D

Jason Brown likes this.
  4. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I tend to use the bag's on organization when it's there. I purposefully buy bags with it. Then I add as needed. my FAK is in it's own kit, a Condor Rip away Med pouch. I have that purposefully in case I need to rip it out and toss it to someone. Even got the red and black one, so it -looks- like what it is. If I'm ever in a situation where that thing is coming out, it's not a cammo gonna save my life sort of situation. Other than that I tend to pack as I need. I've a few smaller pouches and stuff to use if needed, but seldom need more than the admin pouch on the bags, and maybe one or two others in an EDC bag.

For my bug out bag I've got a few more organizational options worked in. Bigger bags haul bigger things which take more space and less small containers to hold them. That said you don't want to lose stuff in your bigger bags either. So I tend to make use of the smaller pouches and pockets in the bigger ones.... for smaller things. lol.

5. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I store everything in kifaru pullouts attached to molle with s biners.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. inkb0t

inkb0t Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

So they came in.. these are the extra small size and work perfectly in my EDC Vanquest MOBIUS. I actually just ordered 4 more :D

7. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

I have several zipped mesh bags (Azonx, which is Japanese although I bought them in Singapore) that I use for various items.
    [​IMG]

These normally sit inside a larger bag with laptop charger and adapters (if required):
    [​IMG]

8. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

I use Vaultz Mesh storage bags, found them on amazon. They are reasonably see through and have the zipper diagonally across the face, so access to multiple items inside is easier than a top zip pouch.

Description on amazon for sizes: "The black bag is 9" x 9.25", the red bag is 5.5" x 9", the orange bag is 5" x 8", and the yellow bag is 5" x 7"."

I have a minimalist hygiene bag in the orange with a brush, toothbrush, mini deodorant, and a pill caddy (chums small zipper pouch). I plan to make a companion setup in the red with soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. These 2 will then be a complete toiletry setup. I may employ the smallest yellow bag to do a carry-on friendly setup with small size soap, toothpaste, shampoo, etc. That way I can swap between the 2 sizes depending on my trip length, or travel type.

Best thing about these bags is that they are very lightweight. Seem to be made well, I have no complaints. All 4 of them together are lighter than a 1 maxped edc.

Tallinar likes this.
  9. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Brought these up on Amazon. Those look pretty useful for the price. good find. I'm going to have to pick some of those up. Thanks EDC brother!

10. Tallinar

Tallinar Loaded Pockets

I think it really depends what you have and how you use it. Part of me gravitates toward the approach of bringing my own organization to the bag... just using open space the way I want it by adding my own organizers. This does work well, to allow you to maximize space and carry everything you want to, but at the expense of quick accessibility. If you carry several tools that you are prone to use often throughout the day, it's nice to have an admin portion of the bag that makes these quickly accessible.

Stuff that you're sure to use on a daily basis may as well be quickly accessible. Stuff that you *may* use today (i.e. a tool you might use once a week) can be slightly less accessible. While stuff that is purely "just in case" (FA kits, fire kits, emergency food) may not need to be readily accessible at all.

I think bag organization is something you can't really prescribe, as our vocations, family lives, hobbies, and everything are all going to look a bit different. Two people may carry the exact same items, but the frequency of how those items get used can vary completely. I'm sure we all carry screwdrivers, and while some of us use them every day, others may rarely use them at all. Therefore what ends up being the most commonly used item in the admin section of one person's bag might be the most obscure item at the bottom of someone else's bag.

Bottom line is that you're really just going to need to fiddle around until you find something that works for you. :)

11. jdindadell

jdindadell Loaded Pockets

@ Pepsi Jedi you are welcome, I had to search high and low for those mesh bags, mainly cause I am super cheap! (of thrifty)...

12. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Completely agree.

My approach is modular. Essential work requirements - true EDC - fits into an Incase SlingSleeve, that fits into a Tumi briefcase if I need to carry more. The larger bag accommodates extra stuff for longer trips, e.g. noise-cancelling headphones. I use EagleCreek packing cubes for clothes and the like in my suitcase, that also allows me to load bags quickly, or even swap the bag at the last minute (it has happened).

moostapha likes this.
  13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I need to get my sling sleeve back. That thing is great for what it is.

14. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

i have 4 of the eagle creek pack it quarter cubes in the main compartment of my rush 12. i have one of each color they offer (red, black, green, blue).
    red: hygiene (travel toothpaste/toothbrush/ dental floss, travel mouthwash, lip balm, cough drops, mints, etc.)
    black: electronics (phone charging cable, ipad charging cable, usb drive, micro sd card, mini usb cable, micro usb cable, etc.)
    green: food (energy bars, salt/pepper, etc.)
    blue: tools (small multi-bit screwdriver, 4" zip ties, 8" zip ties, eyeglass repair kit, ranger bands, rubber bands, 3" and 6" gear ties, etc.)

then i have a maxped 4" x 6" notebook cover as my admin pouch. that way i can just take it out and use the items in there to take notes or write down information without having to pull out a pen/pencil and then pull out a notebook. they're all in one location together in one pouch. i also keep my kershaw knife in one of the pockets in the admin area of the pack itself. i'm not allowed to carry a knife at work (although i have a sak on my keychain they never see) so i keep it in my bag. they never see it so they don't know i have it. i also keep a set of spare keys on one of the keepers in the admin area.

on the outside i have a maxped single sheath (flashlight) and a maxped double sheath (multitool and pepper spray). one resides on one side and one resides on the other.

EXCALIBUR likes this.
  15. geoffchan

geoffchan Loaded Pockets

i really need to order some more Kifaru Pullouts soon

16. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

I love the Eagle Creek Pack-It Cubes. The Pack-It Quarter Cubes are just the right size for keeping small gear items organized within your bag. Using colored Cubes to designate your gear type is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

17. pblamar

pblamar Empty Pockets

In my latest pouch version, I'm trying out the Condor Sidekick. Right now, its' holding: Mini Mag, butane lighter, AA batteries,
    Nite Ize S biner, Titan Ratcheting Screw Driver with bits, CRKT Mirage, metal bullet pen, tire pressure gauge, BIC pen, USB converter, male to male audio cable,
    US flag bandana

[​IMG]

ManiaTreks likes this.
  18. ManiaTreks

ManiaTreks Loaded Pockets

Your bag must be heavy.

Weej, T Shrapnel-Carruthers and ran23 like this.
  19. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Loaded Pockets

It's not as heavy as it looks, but now you've got me curious about the overall weight, looks like I'll be hopping on the scale when I get home to find out...

20. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Loaded Pockets

Ok, so 12.5lbs with everything including 32oz waterbottle and a couple clif bars, an EOD Breacher Bar, Leatherman Wave, Ontario RAT 1, gloves, and some other miscellaneous stuff. All in all, not as bad as I thought it might be!

ran23 and ManiaTreks like this.