1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bag Epiphany (UPDATED: 5/10/13, TT Urban Operator, First Impressions)

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by EMP105, May 4, 2013.

?

Camelbak Urban Assault/5.11 Covrt 18/Tactical Tailor Urban Operator

Poll closed May 11, 2013.
  1. Camelbak Urban Assault

19.0%
  2. 5.11 Covrt 18

33.3%
  3. Tactical Tailor Urban Operator

47.6%
  1. EMP105

EMP105 Loaded Pockets

Hello fellow EDC Forum'ers. I've come to the realization that many of you have probably already had. There is NO one bag fits all solution. My wallet has come to that realization also.:rolleyes: It may simply have been me not wanting to spend so much on bags, so I kept looking for a bag that would do all that I need it to do. An EDC bag for the things I carry around, a bag for biking/day hike, and a bag for camping. I thought I could find an all in one solution. I finally gave up and realized I'll have to pay up for my needs.

Here is what I currently have been doing. I have been using the Maxpedition Falcon II for all those things. But it just does not work, there are two many straps and as an EDC bag it screams "tactical/tacticool" therefore it isn't an EDC bag. I have decided to use it as a GHB to stay in my car.

I have also decided on an Osprey Escapist 30 as a biking/day hike bag, really neat bag.

As for what I am deciding on for an EDC bag, these are the three I am trying to decide between:
    -5.11 Covrt 18
    -Tactical Tailor Urban Operator
    -Camelbak Urban Assault

I know TARFU has experience with all three, if I could ask, which pack is the smallest in size? It's hard to get a realistic comparison based on measurements.

Tactical Tailor is currently having a sale and I have contacted them and I would be able to get the Urban Operator with webbing attached to the bottom for under $100 including shipping. So that is quite the deal there. But I keep looking at the Covrt 18 because it seems like it does a better job of internal organization, and the Urban Assault does as well. But the Urban Assault just seems to be much bulkier than the Covrt 18.

I have read several reviews and watched many videos, but it would be nice to have some input from those who have owned these bags. :help:Thanks.

2. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

3. Rogerschrisj

Rogerschrisj Loaded Pockets

These are the three bags I've been trying to decide on also.

4. zombieslayer001

Dude if you get an Urban Operator and decide you don't like it, I will be glad to take it off your hands cause it's a great bag!

5. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I have to agree that one bag just won't cut it. I've got an edc bag and one for geocaching and hiking.

On a side note, the falcon makes a fine edc bag. There is no such thing as a bag that screams tactical/tacticool. No one you come across will ever think tactical when they see you, unless you point it out to them.

Sent from my tricorder using Tapatalk 1701

6. zombieslayer001

Urban Operator $64.35 right now at Tactical Tailor before shipping! 35% off on everything!

bigfoot likes this.
  7. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I don't have any suggestions but I am with you 100% on relegating the Falcon II to a GHB in the car. I made that same decision about 5 years ago. I'm currently transitioning out of a Sitka as my EDC bag. Still haven't 100% made up my mind what I will go with. (Sitka for 2 years or so) My problem with the falcon 2 wasn't the straps but too many sections for EDC. I would always open the wrong section when getting something out of the bag.

Grizz

8. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

I own the COVRT 18 and the CUA. The CUA is my new EDC bag, replacing the COVRT 18.

Why did I make the switch?
    1. the side pocket / water bottle holders on the CUA are awesome
    2. the major compartment layout of the CUA meets my needs better - the CUA has room to carry a laptop, iPad, papers/journals, mini umbrella, bluetooth keyboard, cables, power supplies and lunch in the two main compartments. The COVRT 18 has a hard time with the "lunch" part.
    3. the CUA fits me slightly better
    4. the all black CUA is slightly more professional in appearance
    5. in my opinion, the CUA is not more bulky appearing than the COVRT 18
    It's a close call, I probably could go back to using the COVRT 18 without a lot of angst. If I was going to CCW in my pack, I would choose the COVRT 18.

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  9. EMP105

EMP105 Loaded Pockets

Alrighty guys, I made the decision to go with the TT Urban Operator. Mostly because I couldn't pass up the price. I also picked up their Admin Pouch - Enhanced. I will post photos once I receive it and eventually a review in the future.

zombieslayer001 likes this.
  10. zombieslayer001

I'u d
    Ix
    You did good kid!

11. EMP105

EMP105 Loaded Pockets

So the bag came in today, but the pouch wasn't with it. Must be on back order due to the sale. Hopefully it comes in soon. I'll try to post pictures of it today or tomorrow. Then I'll get some use out of it. We'll see how it goes.

12. perryw

perryw Loaded Pockets

I ordered a black admin pouch and it was also backordered. They told me 5 weeks...

13. EMP105

EMP105 Loaded Pockets

I contacted them and they told me 6 weeks. Gonna be a long six weeks, at least I have the pack.

My first impressions of the pack are pretty great. The cordura is definitely durable but somewhat pliable to allow for a larger load. It stretches a bit more compared to Maxpedition material, it's pretty light as well. Organizationally, it is simple, the one main pocket, the middle admin pocket, and one front slip pocket. They are all deep, which is nice. I will need to pick up some eagle creek cubes or something of that kind. I'll need it to help keep things even more organized.​
    My personal feeling is that compared to my Falcon II, it allows for you to organize yourself instead of several preset pockets to put things in. I think I may end up liking one large main pocket to stuff a few cubes in to keep them separated by their use. My simple EDC fits in perfect and even though it doesn't fill up the bag, the bag still stands on it's own thanks to the great padding in the back. I finally have a decent backpack to carry my laptop. The padding is really nice and pretty thick and sturdy. The Nalgene/water bottle pocket is nifty too. I love that it closes up flush to the pack when not in use.​
    I'll eventually do a complete review in the future, but these are just my first thoughts. There was a great thread about the pack, but the pictures were dead, and I was never able to see them. But, the review was good and what was written helped steer me towards the pack. Hopefully these photos will help others too. If you need any other shots please let me know, I'll post some pictures of me wearing it tomorrow or the next day.​
    It stands upright, even when empty thanks to the padding in the back.​
    [​IMG]
    Here it is next to a 32oz Nalgene. Go Aztecs!​
    [​IMG]
    The quality of the stitching is nice all around the pack.​
    [​IMG]
    The straps need some breaking in, but feel well padded and comfortable.​
    [​IMG]
    The Falcon II seems like it's slouched forward, but it isn't. It is about an inch and a half shorter than the Urban Operator.​
    [​IMG]
    The loop field seems to be pretty straight and the stitching is done well.​
    [​IMG]
    Here is a link to the rest of the photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/76236211@N05/sets/72157633467545838/
    Enjoy!​

bigfoot likes this.
  14. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for sharing these pictures of your new TT Urban Operator Pack.. :)

PS - A six week wait on that TT Admin Pouch Enhanced? Ouch. I bought one during the same sale, and it only took six days to get here..

15. EMP105

EMP105 Loaded Pockets

No way! I guess you lucked out. I did order towards the end of the sale the 6th I believe. That's what I get for waiting, even though I had decided in my mind I was ready to purchase. Although my wallet wasn't ready...:rolleyes:. When did you order yours?

Schuey2002 likes this.
  16. zombieslayer001

There are times I wished I had chosen a different line of work like a professional sewer and I had my own heavy duty machines to make some of the stuff I have heard of and seen here. Cause I would make you your admin pouch so you wouldn't have to wait.

17. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

congrats, another sdsu'er here.
    i used my often for traveling, breeze through check point with easy access to laptop.

18. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

I placed my order on the 6th around midnight..

It even has a tag in it with the date "10/31/2012". So, it had been sitting in a bin in their warehouse for quite awhile...

19. EMP105

EMP105 Loaded Pockets

Nice to see a fellow Aztec on the board. Yeah, seems like a really good bag for travel, probably gonna end up doing that a few times too.

20. EMP105

EMP105 Loaded Pockets

Very kind of you to offer!