1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bag colors

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Mowgli25, Jun 18, 2012.

?

What color

1. Black

74 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Khaki

24 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. OD green

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Foliage green

39 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. Acu

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Multicam

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. beastie

beastie Loaded Pockets

Good points. The new ranger Green Kifaru is doing looks
    like a nice shade!

2. jkjustic

jkjustic Loaded Pockets

Black and Foliage baby!:cool:

Redneck Bear likes this.
  3. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

The thing I don't get is why don't companies make their tactical gear in non-tactical colors? I think there's a huge market waiting to be tapped, full of techno-geeks who would love nothing more than a neon green Rush 12 with lot's of pockets and organization for their laptops, tablets, phones, hard drives, battery packs, solar chargers, coffee cubes, fidgets, swag and service-puppy-dogs sticking their heads out the back. Ok, Maybe a Rush 72 if they're packin' the puppy.

BTW, I have a 5.11 Rush 12 in "Double-Tap" - Grey and Black.

Tech2 and Redneck Bear like this.
  4. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

What color is supposed to be "muddy" ... I just ran into that on Aliexpress but never heard about that stuff before ... Sometimes the pictures look like a bit desaturated yellow, sometimes a little greenish ...

I agree, even though I happen to only carry black and coyote/tan/dark earth/khaki bags. But orange Jumbo I once saw certainly looked sweet ...
    http://ingunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/305418-recommend-me-small-daypack.html#post4342039

5. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Well that's what they produce "Black" and "Grays' (Double tap).
    That combined with the fact that camo is mainstream and even fashionable these days.

I imagine they've done market research about other colors (Like red/yellow/blue/orange etc) Where in it shows that 'tactical bags' don't sell as well in those colors.

I know MaxPed for one does offer some of their products in a wider rainbow but I do not know how well the sell. I do know that you don't see many of the oranges, or blues or what not here. Compared to the blacks, greens (Ugly browns) and camos.

Most people looking for 'tactical' bags are looking for them in 'tactical colors', because they're buying them for the intent. Lets be honest very very very very very few of these bags will ever see a 'TACTICAL' situation. They're a 'style' of bag, that appeals to some people (Us for some! lol) And that market share want them for that purpose.

TLDR: People buying 'tactical bags' usually want them in 'tactical colors'.

6. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I get that. What I'm saying is there's an opportunity to market tactical bags not as "tactical bags", but as "geek bags", with different colors.

It's not that "civilians" don't want tactical bags, they 1) don't know what they are, and 2) might shy away from something "military"

Call it a "modular bag", make it in muted orange or neon green, or whatever colors are hip these days and make a fortune. These companies, IMO, are limiting their revenues by limiting their marketing reach. I'm sure it wouldn't be easy, but hey, these are seasoned operators, or at least they supply seasoned operators...I'm sure they could figure it out.

Plus it would solve all our worries of a "too tactical looking" edc/bob. If tactical becomes mainstream, then there's no issue.

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I don't buy "bags" in the same context as most of you. I just have my rectangular/squarish 1950s-style briefcase to carry what little stuff I need to transport. It's a vegetable-dyed medium-dark brown because cowhide comes in no other color.

Flashman likes this.
  8. Pepsi Jedi

There is no issue. That's the thing that many people don't seem to understand. Noone gives a flyng frak what kind of bag you carry. lol seriously. Noone cares. If they're not forced to carry it they don't care if you're in a Jansport or a 5.11. It's a bag. Those that have no idea what a 'tactical bag' is would never think to identify something as a tactical bag. They don't 'stand out' to people because people don't care enough to look for them TO stand out.

It's all in people's heads. They want to stand out so they think they stand out then worry about standing out.

I've 3 kids. One 16, one 13 and one 2. Camo is mainstream. The 16 year old wears it, the 13 year old wears it and the 2 year old has had cammo clothes since she was born. (And yes she's a girl) It's fully mainstream. It's just another color pattern like plaid or stripes these days. Walking through the backpack section of your local walmart or target in the school sales will show you this. You'll find a NUMBER of camo back packs directly marketed to children. From Pre-schoolers to middle school to high schoolers. From normal multi cam to digicam to everything inbettern in every color combination from urban (Black and gray) to hot pink and neon green multicam.

Again. Noone's looking at your bag and going "HERMERGURD!!! A TACTICAL BAG!!!" At the very very most someone might go "hey that's a cool/different looking bag".

The only people that might notice your bag fall into 3 categories. 1) Other people like us. That like these sorts of bags. You might go "hey that's the new 5.11 pack" or "hey that's one of those new Vanquest ones!" or 'hey isn't that Maxped's new ones out this year?

Not something you have to worry about.

2) Police. Whom, may notice them because they've been trained to notice details. But unless you're a criminal. Who cares if police notice your bag. I'm going on the assumption that people are not criminals. So.. nothing to worry about by police noticing them. If they ARE criminals.. well frak those guys. I hope the police DO notice them.

or

3) Military/Former military. Where in it's much of 1 and 2. If they notice them it might be because it's a cool bag, and or they reconize and are trained to notice such things. Where in.... we're domestic. If a guy in the military notices your bag. Who cares? he's not going to do anything to you. Other than to maybe ask where you got such a cool bag. UNLESS you're some sort of criminal and the military guy keeping an eye on you or at least noticing you, is a good thing.

To anyone else it's just a bag. I've carried Maxpedition, 5.11, Vanquest, Direct Action. Though malls, doctor's office, buisness meetings. Never once has anyone said anything negative about the bag or even looked twice (in a negative way) Twice I've been asked aboutt he cool bag (one a 5.11, and the other the Direct action) but more "where can I get one of THOSE" than anything else.

(Now these are bases on you not having combat knives, and AR15 magazines, and machete's and helmets and stuff strapped to your bag. if you go out looking like you're going to WAR, then you're drawing attention on purpose and will get looks))

As for other colors to directly market to people that want tactical but not really bags... ehh. there's companies out there that do it. Oakley and others do this a bit, but the main problem here lies in price.

People not looking for tactical bags are NOT going to pay $100-$150 for a hip bag or even more for a back pack when they can get them cheeper. When we pay this much we're paying for materials and stuff that (in concept at least) can take a beating and keep going. Save our lives in some situations. We pay for it to last and to hold up to use and abuse. To the main stream, they don't 'need' that strength. They need a bag to carry books or such and you can get 500 other bags for one tenth the price. Ther -is- something to be said about style (and if you doubt that look at the current 'laser cut molle' stuff, and tell me us guys don't go for style) But the average person is going to look at a bag by our people and then a Jansport and pick the one that's $50-$75 cheeper. ANd it's unlikely to be from the companies we buy from.

We pay for these bags because they're the "Tool" we need for the "JOB". Most people don't need this tool.

For a metaphor... if all they need is a butter knife. they're not going to buy and carry a fire axe. They'll buy the butter knife. Some of them might like the Fire axe where in they can buy one, even if they don't need one... but the average person isn't gonig to buy the fire axe, for their butter knife needs, even if it comes in rose gold color.

For us. We 'need' (Or think we do) The fire axe, so we pay ALOT more to get the fire axe. The average public isn't going to buy a fire axe just because it comes in this season's popular color. Even if they want something more 'like' the fire axe, there's many steps between the butter knife and where we are.

Again a TLDR:
    1) Noone cares what bag you carry but you. Don't worry about it.
    2) Average people aren't going to pay the huge price jump to get the sort of bags we carry, when they don't need to, as cheaper bags will cover their needs with out the cost.

JC807 and Tech2 like this.
  9. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

The "issue" only applies during a state of emergency when everyone is at risk for being mugged for whatever the have on them. The theory is that if you look like you know what you're doing then you become a higher priority target for predators. It may not be true, but if peepers are worried about it's probably because it's something they might do if their lives dependent on it.

Otherwise I agree with you on all points.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk

10. Pepsi Jedi

Conversely in that mythical state of emergency, wouldn't those of us with tactical packs be traveling with our weapons? If you are carrying an AR or an AK, or a shot gun, noone's going to be looking at your bag.

Now if it's a "Get home' situation you might not have your AR or long rifle on youb but...

More over in said state of emergency, a bright red, or yellow or orange or purple or blue pack is going to stand out, more than "Hey that bag has some extra straps and pouches on it" wouldn't it? Most especially if that red or yellow or orange or blue pack ALSO had extra pouches and straps on it? Brighter colors draw the eye. Especially if you're trying to sneak around and avoid conflict.

Also, what ever attention that might be gained by carrying such a bag (Any bag really) Would it not be some what offset, by the 'nature' of the bag, should someone see it for what it is?

To explain, in this hypothetical, state of emergency, someone looking to mug people.... is he going to choose the guy with the 'clearly tactical bag' to mug, or the guy with the jansport? yes the guy with the tactical bag might have more useful options but it's been my life long experience that criminals and crooks take the path of least resistance. Someone with a 'tactical bag' is going to be more likely to be carrying a tactical GUN. If you see someone with the $150 hiking bag or the guy with the $150 Direct Action bag in cammo.... which one do you mug? The guy that might hike trails on the weekend and have food and camping gear... or the guy that might be packing a pistol if not something bigger?

Predators don't charge into a herd and take on the biggest strongest member of the herd. They skirt the edges and take the sick, weak and lame. The easiest prey with the least chance of getting hurt themselves. Every oz of energy they extend they need to be able to recoup by actually taking their prey. Prey that is more/better able to fight back reduces those chances. It's not 'worth the effort'.

Right?

JC807 likes this.
  11. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Sure. But it does depend on the environment. An urban migration out of the city, in a non ccw state, is a bit different. But you make valid points. But you could also argue that the guy with the tactical pack has a higher probability of having valuable assets. And as you say a predator won't just charge in. The AR-15 or ccw Glock doesn't help much if you get ambushed.

And then there are those of us who simply don't own a gun.

Anyway, it's not my theory, so I can only argue it's points so much. And in any case it is a concern many have, right or wrong, which in itself makes it an useful target for Marketing wonks.

12. Pepsi Jedi

Helps alot if ambushed to put an end to said ambush. Might not help much if you're blown away by a sniper, but that could happen reguardless of pack.

I hear ya though.

In my mind it goes to the simplest solution. "If it was profitable the companies making the bags would do it." as they're the ones with the marketing research of their actual product. I figure if it'd make them money. They'd do it. I mean MaxPed had pink ones at one time I think. I'm not sure how much they sell. And I'm fairly sure it's not all across their lines but yeah.. if they sold tons I think you'd see more. if there's one thing you can count on, it's a business trying to make money if it can.

If there was a huge market for this, you'd see it from a number of the companys and see it on the street more.

13. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

I hear what your saying, but I honestly think you could create a market here. Anyway I enjoyed the discourse 'Jedi.

14. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

Grey would be my #1 choice now but since no option I picked Black.

15. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

I've got a lot of stuff in Kryptek Typhon, and a few bits and pieces in highlander as well. I like the urban appeal that typhon has.

16. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Going to chime in on the colour and the "grey man".
    My GF uses a RUSH 12.
    She liked the pack and that it could be 'modified" with extra pouches if necessary, liked the organization, and liked the fit.
    She is not employed in a tactical environment.
    Her mother saw the pack and likes it for the exact same reasons she does.
    She also doesn't work in a tactical environment.
    They both chose black because they didn't like the other colours (double tap was close) and how the MOLLE/PALS, stood out.
    Walking around at a local amusement park didn't draw any looks, nor did it draw any looks this summer where it was used for all kinds of outings including the beach.
    A black bag doesn't stand out much.
    I wore an OAKLEY Panel Pack in multi-cam and all I got was "excuse me, where can I get a pack like that for hunting season".
    I wore her RUSH 12 and never got a comment.
    Police didn't "check me out" when I wore either of the packs.
    The "grey man" effect is what you make it.
    At 5'8", 225lbs, with a flat top brush cut the pack I wear isn't going to make a difference.
    Trained people look for anomalies, threat cues, activity which doesn't fit the norm.
    Once you are "on the radar" then your whole character, demeanor, body language comes into play.
    Your pack alone will not put you "on the radar" in my neck of the woods.
    Predators look for prey not based on their pack, but whether they think they can take them down.
    Now the other thing you need to consider --- if the emergency is bad enough, desperate people with nothing will risk all to get a backpack full of gear from someone no matter what kind it is.
    So in the end colour choice is the one you like the best.
    I've always been an "earth toned" person, so brown, black ,green, grey will always be my pick over 'brighter" colors.
    So for urban EDC --- black, grey, foliage
    Woods walking --- foliage, camo, browns
    If you can only have one pack --- foliage or black

twin63 and EXCALIBUR like this.
  17. Pepsi Jedi

I love Typhon, but you don't often find it, when you do it's ungodly expensive.

18. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

I had some spare time, so I decided to have some fun and put together elements of colors with my bags. Of course here we're far away from the low-profile logic, I would not put all these together for walking in the streets!

The Krypteks patterns:

-Direct action's Dragon egg in Highlander pattern
    -Helikon Tex set in Mandrake pattern
    -Maxpedition T-rex patch
    -Sigma tactical (french tactical brand) patch

[​IMG]

The green zone:

-Camelbak motherlode (old gen) OD
    -Camelbak MULE (old gen) WL
    -French camo pattern combat shirt and boonie hat
    -Arktis chest rig in french camo
    -Camelbak gloves
    -Smith&Wesson knife
    -Mil spec monkey "night service" OD patch
    -French flag patch OD
    -Bear paw patch OD

[​IMG]

The desert and sand:

-Camelbak BFM (old gen) coyote brown
    -French desert camo pattern smock
    -5.11 Taclite pro pant khaki
    -Oakley SI gloves and cap
    -Mil spec monkey Jolly roger desert patch
    -Bear paw patch desert
    -French "Epervier operation" in Chad (1986-2014) patch

[​IMG]

The dark knight rises:

-5.11 Rush 12 black
    -Condor Phantom softshell black
    -Mechanix M-pact gloves
    -Gerber multitool pouch
    -Automatic "italian" knife
    -Thin blue line paracord bracelet
    -Punisher skull patch
    -Bear paw patch black
    -Molon labe patch

[​IMG]

The shades of grey:

-Camelbak BFM (old gen) foliage green
    -Camelbak MULE (old gen) ACU
    -Condor Phantom softshell foliage green
    -5.11 Taclite pro pant storm
    -Mechanix padded palm gloves
    -Grey paracord
    -Böker knife
    -No brand knife
    -Mil spec monkeys "zombie hunter" and "I have to kill you" patches
    -French anti terrorists patch

[​IMG]

_mg_, rca2016, Myrddraal and 3 others like this.
  19. Pepsi Jedi

Heh. I need to go through and take some color coded group shots.

20. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

_mg_

5.11 did make some of their bags available in blue and red colors