1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Bag colors

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Mowgli25, Jun 18, 2012.

?

What color

1. Black

74 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Khaki

24 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. OD green

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Foliage green

39 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. Acu

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  6. Multicam

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Black for me because there are fewer issues matching pouches, accessories, etc. across the different manufacturers.

Gnarly likes this.
  2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I actually am steering away from the military colors. I went to Timbuk2 and never looked back. I also recently ordered a Skinth Juicebox in grey and orange. I think those colors will look more civvie. My next one might be in bright blue! I probably wont see the Skinth for a few months, because of the makers cross country move.

3. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

color doesn't make a bag tactical or not. That being said, camo bags tend to look military. Black bags, or any other flat color look civilian.

4. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Black for blending in and being practical in a lot of environments. Lighter colors for warmer or arid areas.

5. Joelski

Joelski Loaded Pockets

When I see black, my brain thinks "tactical". When I see cammo, O.D., coyote, etc... My brain thinks "surplus" before making any active duty association. I honestly believe that color choice has no influence on a lay persons perception so much as the design of the bag itself. Pockets and pouches seems to set off an impression of.professional vs. poser with the general public. When I carry tactical-style bag, (espescially with the Janus strap), people want to know where the war is. :D add bdu's and a visible weapon or two and they have fewer questions.

I don't worry about color coordination; I prefer the contrast and "unitized multi-cam" look of several differently colored items blended together. I also hold that, given the above example of public perception courtesy of TV, many people will percieve my gear as yardsale chic and skip the interrogation. Then again maybe its just my way of saying "I like 'em all." :D

6. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Black for me, if I get to choose a color.

7. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Can't go wrong with OD in my opinion. Like Joelski I am not averse to adding black and coyote pouches the OD base it's like tactical shabby chic, so hot right now.

kd7dvd likes this.
  8. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

I’ve got:
    Maxped. Sitka in Foliage
    Maxped. Jumbo in foliage/khaki
    Maxped. Falcon II in foliage/khaki
    5.11 Rush 24 in OD
    Timbuk2 in Blue/black
    DIY Gearbag in grey

I voted OD.

9. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Food for thought.....although I prefer civilian colors such as forest green or navy blue for packs(it is easier to not get noticed moving through the airports of the world, not to mention neighborhoods of the world that are not all that friendly). I have noticed that foliage is not always foliage, od green is not always od green, and ranger green is not always ranger green. Having said that, it is always an interpretation of color from the manufacturer. Many of you have no doubt built up kits in a single color only to notice that they don't quite match. There is hope....black is alway black from any manufacturer from any time or product run. There is no manufacturer interpretation of "black". It's not my favorite color, but it's :censored: consistent.

10. keymaster

keymaster Loaded Pockets

Foliage for me. I don't mind the subtle color differences so much. They blend pretty well together. I just wish there were more manufacturers that offered the color. There are a few items I would be more interested in if they were offered in foliage.

11. gw812

gw812 Loaded Pockets

Khaki for my travel gear - it hides hair from my dogs well.

12. Americanozzy

Americanozzy Loaded Pockets

I usually go for black. But I was checking out the camelbak linchpin pack and love the foliage color.

13. MatterOfFact

MatterOfFact Loaded Pockets

Khaki/sandstone/coyote/tan. Matches everything and blends in nicely in the desert.

Redneck Bear and Rev. Chuck like this.
  14. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My new bag is called espresso and green. It's a deep brown with lime green trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

Most are khaki (Kodiak, mongo) .. One black (kato)

16. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I vote black as are most of my bags--but I just received an orange Backpack and actually like it---besides a can of flat black spray paint if things get bad make it disappear ...

17. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Had been carrying foliage, but lately I'm back in black.

18. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter Loaded Pockets

My Dear Friends,

I suppose I'll add my voice to the few dissenters here - I am trying to get away from darker, more tactical-looking bags, especially black. My reasoning?

#1 - They *look* tactical. That might seem to be obvious, but my concern is what assumptions often accompany that look. To both criminals and law enforcement (as well as those of us that carry regularly) a tactical-looking bag screams "gun", making it more likely to get you unwanted attention. YMMV, but even in rural WV this has proven to be the case. Even if you just have the bag stashed in your car while you dart into the Post, you're more likely to get something tactical-looking snatched while a more nondescript-looking bag might not attract any attention.

#2 - Dark bags are a :censored: to find anything in. I am currently rocking a Maxped Fatboy in orange - why? When something falls into the depths of the bag I don't need a flashlight, three hands and a roadmap to find it. Granted, the Fatboy isn't a huge bag, but lighter fabric makes things *so* much easier to find. I could more likely tolerate the black or dark grey bags if the manufacturers would just line the inside of the darned things with something bright for contrast. Even Coyote and Foliage tend to blur into dark grey unless your lighting is really good (maybe I am just going blind in my old age - LOL!). I actually carried a small Fauxton clipped to the inside of my black Fatboy to turn on when looking for items in the main pouch of the bag.

For a lot of folks these issues are hardly deal-breakers, and I'm not ruling out ever carrying a black bag again - given my choice, I'll stick with brighter colors.

As an aside, I also try to stick with smaller bags, those that appear to be too small to contain a notebook computer. Less temptation for thieves.

--------
    Hannibal

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter, Jul 3, 2012
    Redneck Bear and mooshi like this.
  19. ZapperMobile

ZapperMobile Loaded Pockets

I spend a fair amount of time in Europe, and when this time consuming college thing ends I expect to spend even more. The above keeps me away from very tactical looking bags - a Radio Ruck would be the limit, and I probably would not take it to Europe.

20. bnoland

bnoland Loaded Pockets

I prefer black but khaki type (sand stone, dark earth, dry earth) colors are growing on me.