1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpacks

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by destroythealter, May 16, 2006.

1. destroythealter

destroythealter Empty Pockets

I'm looking for a good quality, slim backpack, and ideas?

2. Bravo 25

Bravo 25 Empty Pockets

Maxpedition is great gear for everyday use. It will last forever. Lots of different sizes to choose from.

3. destroythealter

I really like maxpedition but their backpacks are to bulky for everyday use IMO :(

4. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Haven't really looked for you, but Spec-Ops has better prices than Maxpedition.

5. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

What do you want to use it for? One of the gotchas with the military style packs like Maxpedition, is they are NOT internal frame packs. So, they aren't going to handle weight as well as one that was intended as a backpacking daypack.

-john

6. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

For non-tactical use (read: camping, hiking, climbing) I have personally had good luck with Arc'teryx and North Face packs. They are built for serious outdoor use and have strength to perform in those environments. There are several other good pack-makers, too: Mountainsmith, Gregory, Lowe, etc... Searching some quality retailers will give you so many selections!

7. MCSOK9

MCSOK9 Empty Pockets

Kifaru makes some really nice packs also. Lots of interesting designs and options.

8. destroythealter

I'm looking for a backpack to carry things everyday from a laptop to light camping gear. Just a non frame backpack that doesnt look like a Jansport.

9. bmisf

bmisf Loaded Pockets

Here's an unusual choice, given your desire to use it for the computer as well (I've had my Volt XL Snowshoeing and day hiking in addition to using it literally hundreds of times for daily work and leisure carry with the laptop):

http://www.spireusa.com

Excellent quality, nice features.

10. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike Loaded Pockets

i use a camel back H.A.W.G.... it's a great pack...

11. destroythealter

Thanks I really like Havoc Camel Pack so I think im gonna buy it for mainly for camping or whatever else i might need.

12. sadkomodo

sadkomodo Empty Pockets

Try Mountainsmith.com. I have several of their packs. Outstanding stuff. My lumbar pack I've had for 15 years now and I have sent it back twice. First time was to retrofit it for "Strapettes"(to carry it like a backpack) so I could use it in Yosemite and the second time at year 14 to replace a zipper-FOR FREE!!! I also have a messenger bag that I use for my EDC that I've been using for the last 3 years. I carry the "usual" plus a Glock 19 everyday and it still looks new(of course I take care of my stuff). And no I don't work for Mountainsmith but when you find a good product, you want to share.

13. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

Eagle Creek makes some good quality backpacks, bags, and travel gear with a good warranty. I got one of the transcontinental packs off ebay a couple of years ago for a fraction of the original price.

14. kamkazmoto

kamkazmoto Empty Pockets

I suggest that you get to somewhere like a REI or a Sports Chalet Brick and Morter store and take a look around. They have a great selection of stuff and REI at least has some fairly knowledgable people.

15. Evolute

Evolute Empty Pockets

I would need a lot more info to make a good specific recommendation, but I can tell you that I have found excellence in backpacks from Dana Design, Mountainsmith, Osprey, Kinesis, and Lowepro.

I've had packs from many other brands, which were of much lesser quality.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

16. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I tried *hard* to destroy my brother's Eagle Creek pack several years ago - wasn't successful, even after months of trying.

My current EDC pack is a TNF Hot Shot; it's held well even after 5 years of abuse (which include a trip half-way around the world, to remote areas, plus 2 years of field work in the tropics). Sometimes I feel it's a little too small for what I carry, but that may not be a bad thing after all, otherwise I'd be carrying stuff that I don't need. Whenever I've needed to carry extra gear, the compression straps on the outside have been more than enough to handle that.

Like kamkazmoto said, it pays to walk into a store and try a couple on to see how they fit an fill. Take a load of stuff with you so you can get a better sense of how they carry.

The suspension on Deuter packs is *really* nice.

I had a severe crush on the original style Mountansmith Boogaboo, but never quite had the cash to buy one. I wish they made them just like that again.

17. Evolute

Evolute Empty Pockets

The original Mountainsmith Bugaboo was a fantastic pack... the only daypack of that size (~2200 cubic inches) that I've ever seen that had a real full suspension system. It was comfortable, well made, built like a tank, and well designed too. Of course, all of that came at a price of being a bit on the heavy side for a daypack.

Mike

www.mikespinak.com

18. infrared

infrared Empty Pockets

If your looking for something small that can handle anything for a day-I'd suggest the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon-and one the plus side-you can carry water.
    For a non-Maxpedition backpack with a good price range you may want to try the Sportsmansguide-they are always changing out the items they have-some new,some used-military surplus and name brands
    I bought a Mil-tec version of the standard issue German bag and it works great for a three day camping trip
    Also Flecktarn.co.uk has good gear-authentic as well as milt-tec.But it all depends what you like

19. flashlight

flashlight Empty Pockets

Second the Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon!  :agree: I have one & love it. Only wish was for it to have a built-in rain-cover.

20. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Exactly! It seems to me that nowdays they make daypacks either too small (~1000cc) or too big (~3000cc) for my needs. Also, I'm a fan of panel-loaders, and those are getting harder to come across.