1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpack vs. Slingbags

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Mester, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Mester

Mester Loaded Pockets

I have a lot of backpacks but never bought any sling bags.Often I only swing them on one shoulder. Is that possible with a sling bag ?

I never liked the small backpacks but maybe I think a smaller sling bag would be nice.

Looked at the Vanquest Javelin.

Those of you who have both what are your experience with backpack vs. sling bag ?

Ups and downs, does and don't

Please enlighten me :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

When I used backpacks, I usually threw them over one shoulder.. After time it would hurt because it's not made to go that way.

I do it with sling bags now and it tends to ride better on my aging shoulder.

3. B.Haven

B.Haven Loaded Pockets

I typically carry with a single strap as well... You can use the Javelin this way (I do most of the time). But prefer a backpack in certain scenarios.

I like the organization of the Javelin, but not for carrying long distance. In those times I go for the HAWG or TriZip.

Daily work bag with random electronics... Javelin.

Overnight bag, carry on, or short hike... Backpack.

That being said, my Javelin may be up for sale as Vanquest is releasing a backpack... Provided it has the same layout / organization.

--
    B.Haven

marinedownunder likes this.
  4. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I guess I take the other side. I prefer backpack single shoulder carry because most slings are designed for cross body carry. As a result, carrying over one shoulder isn't really what they're designed for and they tend to fight you by wanting to slip off the shoulder. That is true even with bags that are ambidextrous, because even though they can attach to either side at the bottom, the top of the strap is still attached at the center.

The only sling I've found to carry well over one shoulder is the Blue Force Gear Hive. That's because it has a unique strap design that is integrated with a EDC/concealed carry pocket that tucks under the arm, which stabilizes the pack. Unfortunately, I don't think the Hive really caught on due to under marketing by BFG and it's cost (which can really escalate once you start buying loop inserts for it).

5. chrisr

chrisr Loaded Pockets

I find the sling bag more accessible ie I don't have to take it off to get things out, I just swing it around. This is useful in crowded spots- public transportation, Disney World etc.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I too have always carried Backpacks and mostly just slung over one shoulder although it is nice when needed to wear them as intended too.

I recently got a Moab 10 Sling and was excited about it but never realized that unless I wear it messenger style across the body I can barely carry it just casually slung over a shoulder?
    I also find it pretty uncomfortable when slung across the body as designed so to this point I really like the bag itself but do not find it practical to carry at all.

I love the layout and the concealed compartment and if they made a backpack that carried that feature ove and looked the the Moab I would likely be in but it does not seem they do.

Anyway I will probably keep trying and see if I can adapt to it but the Slingbag so far is not for me.

Mester likes this.
  7. micahtbyrd

micahtbyrd Loaded Pockets

+1 on that sling bags don't handle without adjustment very long on one shoulder. I would carry my maxped lunada like this on short walks into the shop or home, but over any distance, they handle better, are made for cross body Carry... The cross body carry is great for quick sling around access, but as noted in many threads, sling bags fall short as weight goes up.... I have moved to a synapse 19 backpack, and have come to value a bit more space and weight capacity over access. One shoulder backpack carry, is so early 2000's....lol

8. Mester

Mester Loaded Pockets

What I hear is that most you don't think the sling bag is better as a one shoulder quick go bag than a normal backpack ? Any difference whether it's a left og right shoulder model ?

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

You correct and no, it doesn't matter.

marinedownunder and SAKplumber like this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was gonna say the same thing. I find the javelin difficult to walk very far with when I put it over one shoulder. I have to hold it in place with the same side's elbow...restricting my ability to carry much else.

IIRC mine is a left shoulder carry strap...I'm a righty.

11. Mester

Mester Loaded Pockets

Thanks a lot. For the first time you actually SAVED me money :)))))

marinedownunder, TARFU and SAKplumber like this.
  12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

:rofl:

powerring likes this.
  13. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

The two best small backpacks that I've run across for CCW are the Grey Ghost Stealth and the MSM Adapt. The Stealth is better for deep concealment - you can open the pack, inspect it, and still not know that a weapon is in there. However, the horiztonal zipper on the Stealth tends to catch and therefore getting into the compartment isn't an exercise in speed.

The Adapt is a bag I'm about to publish a review on (today in fact). It's a more tactical looking bag but it has an ambi zippered pocket that works extremely well for CCW. In that regard, it very much reminds me of a smaller version of the 5.11 COVRT 18.

14. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

reminds me of 21 Jump Street

15. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of different sling bags, and I have to say, back packs are far more comfortable if you have any kind of load.
    I find I get a sore back if I carry a sling bag for any length of time.

16. Mester

Mester Loaded Pockets

If we use the Vanquest Javelin as an example. Would it be possible to attach the shoulder strap in the bottom of the pack in the same side as on the top. Then it would be as a backpack but only with one strap.

Does it make sense ?

17. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

That's not possible with the Javelin. Although the strap does have a quick release buckle, the attachment points are fixed and are on opposite corners of the bag.

18. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I prefer slingers over two strap bag packs, when i started edc'ing i used a rush 12, but when biking around town i develop very strong heat/sweat down my bag when wearing it.

so went with a 5.11 rush messenger instead and liked it much more + a 5.11 push..

I also looked at the javelin but decided to order a maxpedition Sitka after reading reviews of both..

Javelin has alot of cool features, but also alot of things i dont like.

What i like about slingers is that it is very easy to change the position. You can wear it along your hip, on the side, easy move it to the front and so on when sitting down on the subway, driving my single speed around town, easy to reach stuff, without having to take the bag off.

If i hike, i always use a regular two strap, because of the weight distribution over time, but not for urban edc, where the two main things i carry are, a large fak, and a 13' lenovo x300 ultra book

Eagle Scout likes this.
  19. livearchivist

livearchivist Empty Pockets

I thoroughly enjoy my slingpacks. I found I always slung a backpack over my shoulder, so it didn't seem to make sense to get another backpack. I went with the MOAB 10 and now have a Javelin. I have enjoyed them both. The only downside to the MOAB 10 was I had the black one, which was very dark on the inside and I had a hard time seeing inside. Both bags have excellent build quality and will last me a long time. I would suggest going down the slingpack route if you only use one strap on a backpack. If you like to switch shoulders, i would suggest an ambidextrous setup like the MOAB 10. If you want a bag with a ton of admin storage and high viz interior, the Javelin (through the JSB Store of course).

BarksAtCats likes this.
  20. HoboCoastie

HoboCoastie Loaded Pockets

I bought a Maxpedition Malaga for my first EDC. My EDC doubles as a day hiker/urban exploration bag, so I naturally had the Malaga weighted down pretty good. It proved to create much back fatigue. I could swap between slinging and shouldering it to mitigate the discomfort a little, but I quickly went to the Rush 24 and am very happy. I have added about 10lbs and it's still exponentially more comfortable for all day use where my Malaga was only tolerable for about 4-5 miles.