1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Backpack that opens all the way up?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by whxray72, Oct 7, 2010.

1. whxray72

whxray72 Empty Pockets

Hello all...

I dont post often but I am a constant lurker. lol

I have been searching and searching for the right EDC bag. I want a backpack Im pretty sure for versitility and ease of carry. I dont like how they half open though. I have seen packs that have zippers all the way down the sides and open completely but unsure if that is available in a back pack of EDC size and not look like Im trying to climb Mt. Hood. Any thoughts or pics of my perfect pack would allow me to sleep at night. :) Thanks!

PS...

bag along the lines/size of TT 3day assault pack

also saw a post once for a hand held sewer that can penetrate cordura if I needed to do a self mod, any ideas??

2. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, Jan 26, 2013
  3. whxray72

whxray72 Empty Pockets

really, didnt notice that. I think I may have a good candidate as well. Its a sling but designed like what I was looking for: Condor Sling Molle. Anybody own it/sleep with it/ love it?? lol

4. asolo

asolo Empty Pockets

The Max pygmy falcon opens up all the way down the sides. I believe the falcon line does too, however, depending on your packing habits, they might be a tad small for 3-days

5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

If you like something a bit more modern and a bit less tacticool you could look at what Axio has to offer.... They have some great stuff!

6. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

you are also describing the term "panel loader". If you see this on the site (or in the bag's description) then it will open fully.

all the options above mentioned are panel loaders - I own the RUSH 24 and 72.
    The RAID series (from all makers) are panel loaders as well - I have the ATS version.
    Kifaru has several models of panel loaders (or have had, I admit I'm not up to speed on them, just watch for Ian's posts!:) )

once you DO have a panel loader....it will spoil you....that's for sure. Outside of my duluth style canoe pack...I'll never have to reach in and dig around a bag again...panel loaders are sweet. :)

7. squatch

squatch Loaded Pockets

Check out the Mystery Ranch packs. The Sweet Pea or 3-day might fit the bill. I do not own one, so if you get it and don't like it, please sell it to me at a discount price. I prefer black. :)

8. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

High Speed Gear Inc. Moose v2. Pics here: http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/74630-1000-1500-cu.-in.-Molle-Packs-Have-searched-here-no-luck...-(/page3

The ESEE Junglas Laserna Pack opens clamshell.

The REI Urban Traveler is a clamshell design. Pics here: http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/55701-PICS-Added-REI-Urban-Traveler?highlight=urban+traveler

The Camelbak Motherlode and BFM are considered clamshell/panel loading packs.

Kifaru Marauder is clamshell.

Tactical Tailor Trauma Pack is another. There are a few more out there.

9. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

True, they are great! But they are also hard on the zipper if you don't bother with the compression straps.

10. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the Camelbak TriZip also.

11. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

12. whxray72

whxray72 Empty Pockets

Thank you for all the suggestions!!! :)

I'm def. gonna take another look at the 5.11 gear. I bought a sling pack from them and use it for hunting and love it so...

13. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi whxray72,

See my recent post on VOODOO Tactictal.

Here is a word to the wise. If you get a pack with zippers that go all the way to the bottom of the pack (I would prefer a pack that only opens 2/3rds) think about this before you make your purchase. Your pack is only as strong as its zipper! Weather it is stuffed over capacity or you just fall or bump a tree or something, If your zipper fails and your packs contents go all over the place, and worse the zipper does not self repair, you are SOL.

If you still insist in this type of pack get one with included protective compression straps on the sides and possibly on the top.

My VOODOO Tactictal Enhanced level lll assualt pack (an upgraded version of the Maxpedition Falcon ll) has the zipper all the way to the bottom of the main pack, 3/4 of the way on the secondary compartment, compression straps on the lower sides and a Y compression strap at the top that goes all the way through the pack to the bottom of the pack. This is my get home bag it is only about 1800 cu in. It is 18" tall 10" wide and will expand to 10" deep. Also 1/2 the price of the Maxpedition $62.00 including shipping.

Good luck,
    Cliff

14. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets